7mm stw or 28 nosler?

Yup, times change and it's good. Improvements all around.
Depends on what you are looking for. I can't find a decent left hand sporter in an interesting chambering for anything. I'm not interested in spot and stalk hunting with a glorified fence post, no matter how accurate it is. I've bought a couple pistols and a double barreled shotty in the last couple years, but haven't bought a rifle for myself in 5 years or better. I did buy my kid a 7rem, but he's a righty.

It's the same thing that bit the 35 rem and 30-30. They are popular enough, but hunters don't go through the ammo and components to entice the component makers to produce for them like the varminters and match shooters. There are plenty of 7stw and 7rum shooters but a lot of them form 7stw from 375h@h or similar if 7stw brass isn't around. Heck, I've got a bunch of 300 h@h that's necked and just needs to be blown out. As far as the 7rum, there will always be brass as long as 300rum is produced and you can turn a neck a bit.
That's what I was thing about getting some Peterson brass in 300 wby and forming it to stw.

Depends on what you are looking for. I can't find a decent left hand sporter in an interesting chambering for anything. I'm not interested in spot and stalk hunting with a glorified fence post, no matter how accurate it is. I've bought a couple pistols and a double barreled shotty in the last couple years, but haven't bought a rifle for myself in 5 years or better. I did buy my kid a 7rem, but he's a righty.
Custom rifles.

Stop looking for what someone else wants to give you, and build what you want to have. Once you do, you'll probably sell all your factory stuff anyway.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I had an STW from 1993 to 2010. In 2010 it became an LRM for my son. So I reloaded and used it a lot. Back in the early 90s we made brass out of 300 Weatherby brass. Here is my advice on either of these cartridges.

I assume you plan to shoot long heavy for caliber bullets, if not ignore this and cut the chamber to SAAMI and call it a day. Set up your action/magazine to fit the cartridge with your chosen bullet loaded where the base of the bullet is just at or above the neck/shoulder junction. This means the leade in the chamber needs to be cut properly to allow your bullet to be loaded this far out.

You don't want to get trapped into the situation where long heavies have to be single loaded because you mag is 300 WM SAAMI length.

We found over the years of use of the STW that it could be very consistently accurate but you had to work to find the right combination of neck tension, powder load, and bullet seating depth. I'm not sure if the 28 is as finicky. The 7mm RUM was really finicky as well. The biggest drawback for the 28 I see is short throat life. It looks like you can buy STW brass still, but you can fireform 300 Weatherby brass to make it. I have done it many times.
I load my STW pretty slow, right at 3000 fps with the 190 Berger to try and save brass, 74gr H1000, coal 3.821, 3.066 ogive, .113 off lands, Remington 700 action, 28 in Benchmark 1/8 twist, i am not a great shot but I have got 3 shot a group at 1400 right at 7 In. When you neck down 300 Weatherby down do you have to turn the necks ? I have never necked any brass down so any help would be great. Thanks

I load my STW pretty slow, right at 3000 fps with the 190 Berger to try and save brass, 74gr H1000, coal 3.821, 3.066 ogive, .113 off lands, Remington 700 action, 28 in Benchmark 1/8 twist, i am not a great shot but I have got 3 shot a group at 1400 right at 7 In. When you neck down 300 Weatherby down do you have to turn the necks ? I have never necked any brass down so any help would be great. Thanks
We did not turn the necks. We neck sized the cases initially. We then loaded minimal loads with light soft bullets for fire forming. After fire forming we full length resized. I think at that time we were using 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and RL22. I don't have any data from back then. The STW was not SAAMI spec'd for a while when were we first shooting it. We had 3 of them. We just shot increasing loads until we hit pressure like what is now called a powder ladder. Now there is plenty of data in books for this case so easier to find starting places.

Trying to decide on a gun build. 7mm stw or 28 nosler any input?
If component cost isn't a issue the 28'is a great design and great
Performance.
You will get better barrel
Life out
Of others the 28 is really better for heavies and outdid the 7rum with less
Powder and better case design.
If I was
Considering stw I would go 7-300 wby over stw factory dies ect out for that 300'wby brass is easy to get and can size down in round through press

Lots of complaints about Nosler brass but I am a bit mystified. I use it in both of my Laupuas; I must have at least a dozen load in ten cases that I shoot and constantly reload. Primer pockets are tight and velocities are extremely consistent. They case weight can vary lot to lot, but not a huge deal to me as Lapua is not better in that regard. I also use Nosler in two 300 RUMs. I have a bunch of ADG brass but haven't really cracked into it because Nosler (and Norma) give me great results.

Had stw- great cartridge.

Now own 28 I would not go back to stw.
I feel the same about the 7rum over the 28... My 7rum barrel started as a 28 nos with just over 150 rounds through it. The throat was already beat up enough that my 'smith had to cut nearly 2" off the shank (lucky it was a long shank tube to start with) to get the reamer to index well enough to cut the chamber. I'll loaf my 7rum and get 2900 fps with a 175 eld-x at 1/2 moa. I suppose I could step up to the plate at 3200 fps but why? My brother ran the pipe in 28 nos and it liked to blow up bullets. It'll do it with harsh stuff in 7rum too. I guess an 8" twist Brux isn't one to hotrod with a thin-skinned pill. The 8" twist Shilen on my 7stw is easier on pills to be sure.

They are so similar, you should consider why the Nosler and PRC came about. The #1 deciding factor is how they establish Headspace. The STW is 100yr+ old achool and headspaces on the Magnum Ring….about a 1/4". The New Noslers and PRC's and my very favorite Dakota's headspace on the shoulder. That makes more precise loads more consistent. No brainer.
You do, of course, realize that the 7 x 57 Mauser and other cartridges like it that headspace on a datum line were developed long before the good old boys at Holland & Holland even dreamed up the idea of the belted magnum case. Making the datum line headspace method truly old school.

That being said, if you're Smith does his job and properly reams your chamber, and you do your job and properly set up and use your dies, you will notice no difference between either headspace method as far as load consistency and more precise ammunition is concerned.

I've heard a lot of guys talk about how a non belted case feeds better, but an actual use I've never had a problem with the belted case feeding through an action that was set up properly. Both my belted and non-belted chambered rifles feed properly and without issue. In my opinion, it's mostly marketing hype.