Requesting Wisdom - 28 Nosler or 7mm Rem Mag

CLP

I reaching out to you all for some feedback.

I've got all the parts in to build my lightweight custom (LPA Fuzion TI/Proof Sendero/McMillan Game Warden - Edge) and I'm torn between chambering it in 28 Nosler or 7mm Rem Mag. Here's a brain dump of what I'm struggling with:

• It'll be used for Sheep, Goats and Ibex Only (Maybe occasional Mule Deer) No Elk at all
  • Shots typically won't exceed 600 yards and will likely be used in cases of less than favorable up/down hill shots
  • Recoil is approximately 30% more in the 28 Nosler and my bare rifle will be somewhere near 6-1/4 pounds and a little under 8 with a March 3-24*42
  • I feel like the weight of the gun will limit my ability to shoot long range and therefore the beloved 195 Berger will not be of much benefit to me
  • I hunt internationally so 28 Nosler may not be as prevalent
  • I'm not particularly fond of Berger Bullets due to cape damage
If I list it all out it seems like to 7mm Rem Mag should fit the bill just fine and the Nosler seems like a little too much gun.

Am I crazy?

Sounds to me like you've hit the nail on the head. A 7mm RM throated properly to use a 175-180 gr bullet should fit the bill nicely. I would personally want a 9.5-10 lb gun in the 28 nosler. Even with a good brake. I have one in shop with a Bart 3b 28" long and a micro bastard brake, and it's a dream to shoot, but a little long. IIRC, it tips the scales at 9.5 lbs. It launches a 195 EOL at 3170, but the concussion in a quick shot situation would be damaging to say the least.

I think you have more than made the argument for a 7RM. Why go to all the extra expense of loading for the 28 nosler if you aren't going to shoot it at extended ranges? The 7RM can do everything you are asking and then some.

I think you are going to be better off with the 7 mag and I believe you already know it. Add the recoil factor, barrel life and a light weight setup and it shouts " take the 7 mag". My son built a 300 wm for a very light carry rifle for elk and it's a struggle to get good accuracy past 400 yds consistently.

Both are great, the .28 Nosler is basically the newest offering ballistic twin of the 7mm STW, which is an amazing cartridge in-and-of itself. But given your circumstances, the 7mmRM would fit your needs just fine. Then again, under 600 yards, the 7mm-08 AI, .280 AI, or .280 Sherman would also be just fine with the 180-195 grain Bergers.

Most never get to see a custom cut tight necked chambered 7 mm rem mag in action on the range or in the field. You can't compare a factory cut .006-009 per side clearance with say a .004-.006 total for both sides...the big rem is capable of outstanding accuracy if set up right.Lots of brass available for now and hopefully in the future, so there's lots to like. Most people are comparing custom cut 28 noslers with off the shelf 7 mags and that's not fair...level the playing field and you will be in for a huge surprise.

CLP, don't forget about the 7mm Blaser Mag. It's not a particularly well known cartridge but is fully capable nonetheless.

The 7mm Blaser Mag has a tiny bit more case capacity than does the 7Rem mag. The case is fatter but shorter than the 7Rem mag and is beltless like the 28 Nosler. Defensive Edge Rifles built me a 7mm Blaser Mag last fall and with a 26in. barrel it shoots the 180 Bergers 3050fps and will stack them up into the .3's. I'm currently using RL26 but I have plans to work up a load using N570 which I think will give it a 75-100fps boost over my current load. Factory ammo is also available if you so choose.

Norma makes the brass and it's easily available through the typical online sources, Gafs, Midway USA, etc. Redding dies were purchased at the same places as the brass was, too.

Mine is relatively light-ish, except for the laminated wood stock and 5.5-22x50 NF NXS scope, uses a Rem 700 long action, Hart #4 fluted 26in. tube + brake. Recoil shooting the 180's is very minimal.

Just another option for you to consider.

7 Mag is fine. If cape damage is an issue then I would try some Barnes XLR. I shoot a 7 mag with the ELDX 162 factory ammo and it delivers sub half MOA at 500 (havent shot it further yet). But why not the 280 AI? standard action...But then you already have the magnum bolt face...

No need for the 28 nosler unless you want to whack them at 600 like they were at 250 yards...

SnT

Most never get to see a custom cut tight necked chambered 7 mm rem mag in action on the range or in the field. You can't compare a factory cut .006-009 per side clearance with say a .004-.006 total for both sides...the big rem is capable of outstanding accuracy if set up right.Lots of brass available for now and hopefully in the future, so there's lots to like. Most people are comparing custom cut 28 noslers with off the shelf 7 mags and that's not fair...level the playing field and you will be in for a huge surprise.

I have... My smith orders all his reamers that way. My custom A-Bolt II 7mmRM is this way. It is something to behold.

I have... My smith orders all his reamers that way. My custom A-Bolt II 7mmRM is this way. It is something to behold.

Hey MudRunner2005, does your smith still have those reamers? I'm definitely interested in the tight neck concept over factory chambers.

Thanks to all of you who have contributed so far. I've found value in every post.

Hey MudRunner2005, does your smith still have those reamers? I'm definitely interested in the tight neck concept over factory chambers.

Thanks to all of you who have contributed so far. I've found value in every post.

His necks are between tight and SAAMI (so you don't have to turn your brass), and his shoulder and body specs are definitely what is considered a "tight" or "match" chamber. The brass has virtually no swell and I max out around book-max loads in powder capacity, but the velocities (because of the lack of swelling) are way exceeding the book velocities.

As long as my smith is still building rifles, he will have his reamers. Getting in touch with him, well, that is another story. He's a bit particular when it comes to clientele. The only reason he builds mine, is because he knows my previous smith (retired now), and I was highly recommended as a client by others that know me. I'll see if I can get in touch with him and see if he's interested in taking out-of-state work, as he is not a smith by-trade, that is his side-project because he's also a gun nut and accuracy enthusiast. He's been a machinist for 40+ years, so he really knows his stuff.

I'll see what I can find out.

I have a lighter weight carry rifle in 7RM @ 9.5# for deer/elk.
Bartlein 26" #3 fluted w. APA Micro brake, Manners EH-2, R700 LA BDL, Seekins alloy Picatinny, Seekins alloy rings. It wears a fait heavy S&B PMII 3-20×50 @ 32oz. Take 8 oz off with the March, and it would be 9# even. It shoots everything except the 175 ELD-X phenomenally. 160 NAB, 160 TMK, 168 HVLD (3075fps), 175 SGK (3010fps), 180 Hybrid (2996fps & my favorite hunting/shooting load), 183 SMK (2987fps). It is a relatively new build for me at just over a year old. But it took 2 elk last year by family members. My 14 year old daughter took a big fat cow at about 75 yards with the 180 Hybrid. She went maybe 50 yards on a dead downhill run. Blood trail was excellent, exit was about 2". My cousin used it on a raghorn bull at 331 yards with the 180 Hybrid. Bull dropped at the shot and did not take a single step. Exit was about 1.5".

I am building a .280AI as we speak, R700 LA BDL w. fluted bolt, 26" Proof Sendero Light 1:9", Hawkins 3 port brake, Manners EH-1, Seekins alloy Picatinny, Seekins alloy rings, Premier Heritage Light Tactical 3-15×50. I spun off a Shilen 28" #4 and the rifle weighed 9lbs 10oz fully dressed before. The Shilen take off barrel weighs 4lbs 2oz by itself at time of removal. The new Proof barrel weighs 3lbs 2oz as a blank. I expect to lose 4-5oz off it with all the machining work done to it. Cut off end of blank, turn and thread tenon, chamber, turn and thread muzzle for brake, etc. So it should finish between 8-8.5# all in. It will be used for a light carry deer/back up carry elk rifle. I am hoping to shoot a 160 TMK OR 168 HVLD from it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.