7mm stw or 28 nosler?

NEITHER, a plain Jane ho-hum 7mm rem mag, far less pain and aggravation.....the way things are going there's enough brass around for it compared to any of the fly by nighters....150fps hain't worth the headache later...just an opinion.

I see Bertram brass mentioned in one of the post, just wondering how it compares to Lapua & other top makers? Looking for my 7mm STW, right now I am using Nosler brass which doesn't hold up that well, I would appreciate any comments from users of Bertram! Thanks

I see Bertram brass mentioned in one of the post, just wondering how it compares to Lapua & other top makers? Looking for my 7mm STW, right now I am using Nosler brass which doesn't hold up that well, I would appreciate any comments from users of Bertram! Thanks
Look at post #49 its all you need to know

Bertram brass good quality? i use Nosler, availability is hit or mis but its pricey

Bertram is really poor quality, the stuff I had was worse than winchester.
Jagged flash holes, neck thickness all over the place, and pretty big capacity variation (2-3 grains!)

Wondering why if STW is so popular it has its own site why ADG, Lapua, or Peterson doesn't produce it? Only choices Nosler, Winchester, Hornady, and Federal seems to me if only one would they could sell what they run or is it to cost prohibitive?

Wondering why if STW is so popular it has its own site why ADG, Lapua, or Peterson doesn't produce it?
Because it's not popular anymore. It's a belted mag and they are on their way out, not on their way in.

Trying to decide on a gun build. 7mm stw or 28 nosler any input?
I had an STW from 1993 to 2010. In 2010 it became an LRM for my son. So I reloaded and used it a lot. Back in the early 90s we made brass out of 300 Weatherby brass. Here is my advice on either of these cartridges.

I assume you plan to shoot long heavy for caliber bullets, if not ignore this and cut the chamber to SAAMI and call it a day. Set up your action/magazine to fit the cartridge with your chosen bullet loaded where the base of the bullet is just at or above the neck/shoulder junction. This means the leade in the chamber needs to be cut properly to allow your bullet to be loaded this far out.

You don't want to get trapped into the situation where long heavies have to be single loaded because you mag is 300 WM SAAMI length.

We found over the years of use of the STW that it could be very consistently accurate but you had to work to find the right combination of neck tension, powder load, and bullet seating depth. I'm not sure if the 28 is as finicky. The 7mm RUM was really finicky as well. The biggest drawback for the 28 I see is short throat life. It looks like you can buy STW brass still, but you can fireform 300 Weatherby brass to make it. I have done it many times.

My Bertram 7 STW brass has only one firing on it so I don't have enough data to form an opinion yet. I would say it is a step above the Winchester I had been using, but not in the same class as Lapua. Bottom line is there just isn't a lot to choose from out there so I took a chance on Bertram. Only time will tell if it was worth the $1.60 a case I paid for it.

Good evening Mr .Young! I've looked over your post and your dilemma on which carteridge your looking to build on! I have both the 28 as well as 27& 26 Nosler and the 7 mm STW! The 28 is an off the shelf rifel but the 7 STW was a custom I found in my loading process that the 28 is as finicky to load for as the 26 was! On the other hand the STW has been exstremely co-operative with whatever it's being feed! It is also quite a bit easier on the shoulder!! I'm not a bit recoil sensitive but of the 2 I'm sure the the big 7 will do everything you can ask it too

NEITHER, a plain Jane ho-hum 7mm rem mag, far less pain and aggravation.....the way things are going there's enough brass around for it compared to any of the fly by nighters....150fps hain't worth the headache later...just an opinion.
yup, that's why I bought my kid a T3 light in 7rem. It's easy enough to feed and fast enough for him.

Because it's not popular anymore. It's a belted mag and they are on their way out, not on their way in.
It's the same thing that bit the 35 rem and 30-30. They are popular enough, but hunters don't go through the ammo and components to entice the component makers to produce for them like the varminters and match shooters. There are plenty of 7stw and 7rum shooters but a lot of them form 7stw from 375h@h or similar if 7stw brass isn't around. Heck, I've got a bunch of 300 h@h that's necked and just needs to be blown out. As far as the 7rum, there will always be brass as long as 300rum is produced and you can turn a neck a bit.

It's the same thing that bit the 35 rem and 30-30. They are popular enough, but hunters don't go through the ammo and components to entice the component makers to produce for them like the varminters and match shooters. There are plenty of 7stw and 7rum shooters but a lot of them form 7stw from 375h@h or similar if 7stw brass isn't around. Heck, I've got a bunch of 300 h@h that's necked and just needs to be blown out. As far as the 7rum, there will always be brass as long as 300rum is produced and you can turn a neck a bit.
Yup, times change and it's good. Improvements all around.

neck and neck performance wise, I vote for the 28 based on ADG brass availability, and just not dealing with a belt down the road when reloading. yes I own and shoot belted mags, but I do prefer not having it.
Maybe even do a 7 saum improved instead.