7mm stw or 28 nosler?

Belted cases are icky. 28 nosler is too skinny and tall a powder column.

7mm Norma Mag Improved is the correct answer.

1GcEIHQh.jpg

hkSs6dnh.jpg

28 Nosler, if you want to shoot long heavy bullets from a standard length Remingon-clone magazine. 28 Nosler case length is 2.590". 7 STW case length is 2.850" ... over a 1/4 inch difference.

This will be less of an issue if your rifle has a CIP-length (3.850" outside dimension) magazine.

I had a STW when I got my first 28N; now I have two 28Ns and my STW sits in the safe. To be fair, the STW doesn't have a fast enough twist to stabilize 195s, but even if it did, I would take the 28 - like other rounds based on the 404J, it seems to be inherently accurate.

As for Betram brass, unless they have changed the quality, it is garbage IMO - way too soft.

I 100% agree with this, even though im not a Nosler brass fan id take it over Bertram anyday.
ADG is at the top of the heap.
yup, I've got both Nos. and Bertram for my 7stw. I had to put a false shoulder on my Bertram as it was so short (both shoulder and belt) that I was getting mis-fires and head separation. I was so irked that the stuff has been sitting so long it should probably be tumbled before I use it. I haven't loaded the Nos. stuff yet as I still have a couple hundred rem and win I'm killing first.

I just built another 28Nos again for hunting, went with SS instead of carbon fiber and shoots lights out with N570 and 195, cruises around 3050 or so 25" barrel. ADG brass sure helps, usually a low node and high node with n570 and it gets dirty quick

Some POV/bias qualification first: My first gun was a Mauser 95 in 7x57 (and it still gripes me that they won't load the cartridge to 62,000 psi with a Plus+P warning for old guns). I like the 7mm bore for several reasons, with historical/romantic ethos admittedly large, but for sound engineering reasons as well (I'm an ME w/physics background, 21 years DoD and Fed Svc as Chief of Operations & Maintenance). I have built a few custom rifles over the years, including five sevens; a 7x57, a 7x61 S&H and three 7mm RMs. I handload, but haven't been active in the last ten years due to my locations. I'm happy to see the greater science aspect in the sport and the manufacturers support with advanced powder chemistry and bullet construction. Barrel makers, too. For my money, H&H had it right, the belt is a superior head-spacing feature and it does not affect feeding. As an accuracy issue, it is a non-sequitur. Get over it. The short, fat powder column was first experimented with by Roy Gradle and written about by Warren Page in the 7mm Gradle Express. It is a sound and proven engineering strategy to increase efficiency, but the difference in performance amounts to just a few grains of powder, and a bit more consistency in velocity. If those are important to you, then more power to you. To sum up, If I were in the market, I would choose a 7 STW over any of the newer 7's. Just thought a discussion of reasons was due. And, in a talkative mood.

This was the 28 nos I just built, I accidentally cut my threads too deep on the muzzle end when threading so it ended up a 25" instead of 26" lol. Basic 700 rem accurized, bartlein 1:8 twist and my custom reamer with .290 freebore- all done on a super old southbend and 4 jaw chuck

09DFF06B-8946-4120-ABED-403F787DF915.jpeg

This was Just playing with seating depth and Even with all 9 shots at different seating depths at 500 yd it still shot 2.18" for total group. 750 yds it basically shot the same about a 3" group

Only cons are low life maybe 600-800 round count but with every caliber there's trade offs