28 nosler, 300rum or 300prc ?

No offense taken here just pointing out that some of us on this site actually have some knowledge and have been down the roads probably more than others, and have actually had and shot the 300 rum to its fullest potential in as many configurations as it can be had in!!!
another point that the 300 rum even with 230 above neck shoulder junction has to have the bolt removed to get a round to eject while functioning through a mag box is also false! even the giant 30-378 WM can, will, and has been built functioning through a mag box while seating the bullet past shoulder neck junction and ejecting a live round without taking the bolt out!!
What do you know. Lol!

Of course the 300 PRC would also be a considerably long round with a 230 seated in the neck.

I have a 338-375 Ruger and to get the 250gr Berger HVLD bullets seated up in the neck properly while touching the lands and still fitting in a magazine, I had to install the largest Rem 700 Wyatts extended box there is. The CFE-9. Took a lot of work. Had to mill out the stock, mill the bottom metal and move the floor plate release spring, mill out the receiver magazine port, re-face the mag port feed lips, modify the bolt stop so it cycled further to the back of the new longer mag, and mill out the ejection port so a loaded round could be ejected. It was a pile of work to get the round to feed from a magazine with the bullet seated where it should be. But it was worth it in my opinion. Would I do it again? HELL NO!!! Pain in the a**! LOL.

...And this action was already set up for a Remington Ultra Mag. My 338-375R loaded round OAL is 3.745" and that's what it took to make it work in a repeater with the bullet seated where it should be. Will also work in the mag with 300gr Bergers seated to the lands.

The rifle was very accurate prior with the bullets jumping a long ways to the lands, but the loads were touchy. Didn't ladder test very well. Now with the bullets allowed to stay in the neck it is more accurate, more forgiving and consistent, and I have more case capacity to work with. Win, win, win.

Milled ejection and mag port with new bolt stop location
20190404_113520.jpg

Modified floor plate release spring attachment point
20190404_113720.jpg

Last edited:
Going to have a new build done shortly. So out of the 3, (don't think I can go wrong with any of them) what caliber would you go with and why ? I have a 300wsm that shoots lights out with the 175 vld now at 2880. Rifle will be used for Elk/Deer out to 1000 if needed
7 LRM...180 hybrids at 3070!

To the OP, the choice is clear. If you're considering shooting elk @ 1K the 300 RUM is clearly the best choice. @ 1K you are approaching the edge of terminal performance and the RUM is going to hit with more authority, period. As for the other two, the 30 Nosler edges both of them out, close, but the 30 still wins.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts