28 nosler, 300rum or 300prc ?

Seems to me that 7-300WM with the 195 is being handicapped by a nearly 100 FPS MV decrease over the .300WM with the 215...

100 FPS MV isn't much, but in the end, it's still 100 FPS...
How can the exact same case lose 100fps with a 20gr lighter bullet?
I realize there are bearing surface and bore size differences, but that math does not add up.

This is why I don't have any 7mm rifle, I am more confident making a .30 cal wound channel, even if I can't beat 28 Nosler ballistics. However it seems that I will, with the ELD-M 225gr .....

I want to get a new rifle and I can't get it in the cal I want. ( 300 wby mag )

Already have 300 win mag shooting 215 hybrids, and I love it, but want to get a little more performance in order to shoot 225g ELD-M, 230 Hybrids, and the 245 when they release them

I think the 300 Wby could work fine because it has a long neck, more capacity, kick is similar to 300 win and good factory ammo is available.

If I can't get it in 300 wby, what would you choose???
Any of the big 30's without a belt.
No need to handcuff yourself with old technology.
People seem to get ruffled up about the advantages of modern non belted cases over their beloved belted mags.
I'll never understand it..

How can the exact same case lose 100fps with a 20gr lighter bullet?
I realize there are bearing surface and bore size differences, but that math does not add up.

I have owned both cartridges. That is a little on the fast side for a 300Win 215. That 195 is a pretty accurate number. This is with both using H1000. I have played a little with RL33 and I did not like what I saw.

This is why I don't have any 7mm rifle, I am more confident making a .30 cal wound channel, even if I can't beat 28 Nosler ballistics. However it seems that I will, with the ELD-M 225gr .....
In a 26" barrel a 300wby will not push a 225 above 3050 without ruining brass. 195s at 3100fps run right with it, and have less recoil.

I want to get a new rifle and I can't get it in the cal I want. ( 300 wby mag )

Already have 300 win mag shooting 215 hybrids, and I love it, but want to get a little more performance in order to shoot 225g ELD-M, 230 Hybrids, and the 245 when they release them

I think the 300 Wby could work fine because it has a long neck, more capacity, kick is similar to 300 win and good factory ammo is available.

If I can't get it in 300 wby, what would you choose???
The 300 PRC is basically the equivalent to a 300 weatherby mag to my knowledge if you want a 300 weatherby mag and you don't have to deal with weird rounded shoulders and a belt that everybody complains about go with the 300 PRC

The 300 PRC is basically the equivalent to a 300 weatherby mag to my knowledge if you want a 300 weatherby mag and you don't have to deal with weird rounded shoulders and a belt that everybody complains about go with the 300 PRC
I guess I didn't finish that thought completely, basically a 30 nosler is really comparative to the 300 PRC and 300 weatherby mag

I have owned several 28 Nosler. Some with SAAMI Chambers others match Chambers. Al have shot 175 grain bullets with under half inch accuracy with velocities between 3152 and 3187 FPS. I use 175 gr Hornady ELD-X bullets and have multiple one shot only kills on elk, Deer and Antelope. It's a flat long-range Thumper that shoots as far as you can accurately and ethically shoot.

Here's the issue, that darn Nosler brass is expensive. At $75 for 25 I just don't think there brass is worth it. Norma makes a 26nosler brass that can be necked up for the 28 Nosler. It does require but you neck turn them to get rid of the donut that forms when you neck up. That reduces the cost per case to under $2 compared to $3. The added advantage is Norma cases seem to be better quality.

However, there's something about throwing a 210 grain for heavier bullet at 3000+ fps that is exciting. There is no doubt put that combination is going to thump the heck out of whatever you shoot. What concerns me is that Remington has halted production of 7 mm Ultra Mag brass. I'm concerned they'll do the same for the 300 rum. It has been a source of good quality brass with inexpensive prices. Norma does make 300 rum brass but again not easy to find.

Looking at all the issues, if going with a 30 caliber, I think my money, would be on the 300 PRC. While not as fast as a 300 rum it is not far off, and I believe availability of brass we'll just continue to grow. Meanwhile I believe the rum cartridge versions are going to slowly decline due to new shorter more efficient 30 caliber magnum cases like the 30 Nosler and particularly the 300 PRC.

Just a few my thoughts.

These are all kind of exotic top fuel cartridges that require careful handloading for the most performance! I'v got the 28 Nosler and 300 RUM.

1st choice would be the 300 RUM. Longest history and the most data and brass availability. It works best with long heavy bullets. It just works.

2nd choice is the 28 Nosler. Better ballistic bullets (sectional density and BC), brass is a bit of an issue (Just missed out on the ADG stock), but the Nosler is good enough if you don't push the brass past the limit (over 3200 fps with a 180+ class bullet too much of a good thing). And though it's history is short, those of us that use it, are exploring its ballistic limits ie: we need better brass SOON!

3rd choice? Screw it, lets get creative with a 284/7mm PRC?!

That's blasphemy you don't say that the RUM will never go anywhere. It's like an old WWF wrestler it's the best there is, the best there was or the best there ever will be.
Ha Ha.

300prc has a good chance at success if quality loading components become available. However as a hunting cartridge, it'll still play 2nd fiddle to the RUM and Norma. You can buy a good quality low budget action from gunwerks, apr, or tl technologies, get a Bart 3b in 1:9, grayboe stock, wyatt's cfe9 so you can load to 3.99 oal, trigger tech special and a Hawkins bdl, apa beast break, all components for about 1800$, 25% for smith work and you'll be in the 2300-2400$ range for a nice rifle. Spend another 300$ to get a nice kelbly action, or a other 600$ for defiance, lone peak, or border. A GOOD smith is what you're after, they can make sh¡t factory rem 700s shoot lights out they can do even more when.you give em a solid base to start off with. 300rum will kill everything in the western hemisphere that walks on land, and probably do a good job in Africa , but they usually have a 375 cal minimum on the big stuff over there.

I would have to agree with ^^above^^ 300 weatherby and 300 PRC are going to be about the same if you're nice to the RUM I have heard of 15 to 1600 rounds MOA or better.
Hands down it is how you treat them.
a lot of people say that the Norma is more efficient blah blah itidoes fit actions better.I have two buddies that I load for 2- 300 Norma's and they don't hold a candle to my RUM when it comes to speed with a 230 grain bullet 1/2 moa if I do my part. All of us have 26" barrels I have them beat 150fps and I am not pushing it very hard averages 3150 fps. the secret is to talk nice to them and rub unicorn horn mixed with unicorn blood and your enemies souls on it, works every time.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.