300RUM or 338EDGE?

So I have a Rem sendero sfll and im going to have rebuilt after elk season in November and im trying to decide on another 300RUM or just step up to the 338?? I have been really pleased with the performance of the 230 OTM out of the RUM but since I live in elk country I don't want to rule out the 338. I have the 230's moving 3035 and from what I have read I could get the 300g going 2800 or so out of the edge.. I will be using a Brux 27" barrel. Just looking for some thoughts. I do have a new 8lbs of Retumbo which I use for the 300 and know the 338 seems to do best with H1000, which is hard to come buy these days.

If your wanting to go after mature elk at ranges past 1/2 mile, the 338 will be more authoritative on impact. Ballistically, I would say it would be very hard to say one would be better then the other if your using the 230 gr OTM in the 300 RUM.

The 338 will have a slightly longer barrel life if both were cared for the same way.

H1000 is great in the 338 Edge but I actually prefer Retumbo. A bit higher load densities, same velocity with a bit lower pressure for longer brass life.

Again, in the end, it comes down to what game will be hunted and at what range, deer and elk inside 1/2 mile, take your pick, elk past 800 yards and especially out to 1000 yards and beyond, go 338.

Actually, if you consider barrel life, the EDGE will be a little cheaper to shoot. The EDGE is the same case as the 300 RUM. Same powder consumption. Only the bullets cost more - $.55 per vs $.76 per.

The Bertram brass is more expensive but will last longer and probably will be a savings in the long run. But, you can use it for both chamberings.

The Lapua has a couple gr more capacity than the EDGE and the Improved version has a little more yet, depending on how you spec your Imp version, maybe up to 6 or 7 gr more over the standard Lapua. It is also shorter which makes it easier to build and load for a repeater.

Last, there is a significant killing difference between the big 338's and the 300 RUM. The difference is basically summed up in that the 338 uses a 338 cal bullet of 300 grains vs a 308 cal bullet of 230 gr. This is from a 300 RUM owner. I am very comfortable with the 300 RUM killing elk past 1 K, but there is no question that the big 338 will do it it better.

I was thinking the Edge had a little bit extra on the Lapua but the Lapua had better brass.. Still, I think the Bertram has evened the playing field.

If your wanting to go after mature elk at ranges past 1/2 mile, the 338 will be more authoritative on impact. Ballistically, I would say it would be very hard to say one would be better then the other if your using the 230 gr OTM in the 300 RUM.

The 338 will have a slightly longer barrel life if both were cared for the same way.

H1000 is great in the 338 Edge but I actually prefer Retumbo. A bit higher load densities, same velocity with a bit lower pressure for longer brass life.

Again, in the end, it comes down to what game will be hunted and at what range, deer and elk inside 1/2 mile, take your pick, elk past 800 yards and especially out to 1000 yards and beyond, go 338.

Glad to hear the Retumbo is working in the Edge. I have decided to go with the 338 and increase the barrel length to 28 or 29 inches. I just want to make sure its not to heavy to carry in the mountains. Thanks

I was thinking the Edge had a little bit extra on the Lapua but the Lapua had better brass.. Still, I think the Bertram has evened the playing field.

The EDGE has 108 gr H2O caoacity and the Lapua has 112 gr capacity. If I was going to do a Lapua build it would be an improved version which would have maybe 114-117 gr capacity depending on the dimensions chosen.

I agree, the Bertram brass does level the playing field.

My Normas have 107 h20 in 338, so that shows where my preference is. I approaching 40 elk taken and shot a 340 wby for 20+ years. I have 2 Normas and 10 reloads so far on some brass, and retumbo works for me.The 300 gr. bullet is a hammer

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.