7rm or 300rum

Wonder how lancetkenyon managed to get .300 RUM brass in 1997? Anyway, I've had a .300 RUM since early 2000. I'm a sucker for big .30's. if I were to go another route, it would be 28 Nosler. Lots of exiting .284 bullets these days. mtmuley

Wonder how lancetkenyon managed to get .300 RUM brass in 1997? Anyway, I've had a .300 RUM since early 2000. I'm a sucker for big .30's. if I were to go another route, it would be 28 Nosler. Lots of exiting .284 bullets these days. mtmuley

Sorry. 1999. I got the first one sold at my local gun store back in 1999 when it first came out. I bought 6 boxes of the Remington 180 Partition. Had the same brass the entire time.

I saw the .300 RUM at the 1999 RMEF Elk Camp Reno in February of 1999, just before they were released. Bought mine early 2000. I still have a bag of 50 rounds of new brass that has a price tag of 38 bucks. Can't bring myself to open it. Been cycling through my other 300 or so pieces. mtmuley

I was in the same boat as you, I was looking at the 7-300 and was going to build one in 7mm practical but went right back to 7rm just because you dont gain enough to make it worth your time (for me anyway) If I needed something with more power I would get/build a 338 lapua. the 7mm dakota is a fine round as well based off the 404 jeffery case, its pretty close to the 28 nosler. Or the 375-300 round, seems to be a good shooter. good luck matt

I think I am stuck on getting a 300rum shooting a 200+ grain bullet. But now comes down to what rifle to get. I have been looking at the Fierce fury, cooper Jackson hunter long range or Remington Sendero. + on the fury is the 7.5 lbs and 2000$ but mixed reviews. .- on the cooper is the 2800$ plus 9lbs or take my chances on the Sendero at 8.5 lbs @ 1200$. Im going to get the night force scope so my budget is limited. I was going to have one built but its hard for me to spend 2500$ sight unseen and @ 9 lbs . anybody's thoughts on what direction to take. My issue with a heavy rifle is, I hike a lot but understand that sometimes heavier is better.

I think everybody is a little different on this sort of thing. I shoot a sendero. I guess I always look at it this way, if the 1# different between a standard magnum contour barrel rifle and a sendero contour is a big deal, I need to back away from the dinner table and lose a pound or two instead. Lol

Like I said, everybody has a thought on this that might be a little different to their liking. I like heavier guns it seems. Now as my kids get older I think about them using my guns down the road so I think about sporters more. I figure they can lay down behind a heavy gun if need be too. Hehe.

I have dozens of rifles, but if I ever had to give them up for just one it would be my 300 RUM that was built for me by Defensive Edge
With 230 gr burgers is almost keeps up with my heavy LRKM
and it id hands down a killer vs anything smaller.
Shoots Berger 230s over 3000fps....I love this rifle :)

I'm hearing Berger is coming out with a 245 grain 30 cal. So a 1-8 twist RUM is perfect for such a bullet. I think you would have to go with a 338 Lapua improved or bigger to keep up with it.

I've had my 300 RUM since 2002 and put a new pipe on it about 5 years ago. It was my first high power rifle and probably the last one that I would give up. IMO it is just fine for deer, the only issue I had was hitting a doe in the shoulder once at about 150 yards. Oh boy was there damage... If you hit them where you are supposed to it shows no more damage than a 30-06. Since it was my only rifle at the time I even took it for speed goats and took my buck at 460 yards, and got all the meat possible from it.

I've had no issue getting brass, I've switched to Nosler and probably have 300 pieces of Rem brass as backup.

I think I am stuck on getting a 300rum shooting a 200+ grain bullet. But now comes down to what rifle to get. I have been looking at the Fierce fury, cooper Jackson hunter long range or Remington Sendero. + on the fury is the 7.5 lbs and 2000$ but mixed reviews. .- on the cooper is the 2800$ plus 9lbs or take my chances on the Sendero at 8.5 lbs @ 1200$. Im going to get the night force scope so my budget is limited. I was going to have one built but its hard for me to spend 2500$ sight unseen and @ 9 lbs . anybody's thoughts on what direction to take. My issue with a heavy rifle is, I hike a lot but understand that sometimes heavier is better.

Every one of those rifles is going to have too short of a mag box to really get the most out of the RUM with big bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.