7RM or 7mm/300 win

My gun seems to like hot stuff most of the time so we will see. I have worked up loads for some 162's, 168's, and now some 180's. We will see what I end up with on this. I am hopeful!

So we have discussed most of the major 7 mm calibers but what about the 7RUM? I have heard some rough stories about barrel life, but does the whole cooling thing apply to this also? Could a guy get 1000 rounds out of a barrel? If so it would be a ballistic alloy impressive cartridge

So we have discussed most of the major 7 mm calibers but what about the 7RUM? I have heard some rough stories about barrel life, but does the whole cooling thing apply to this also? Could a guy get 1000 rounds out of a barrel? If so it would be a ballistic alloy impressive cartridge

I have a buddy who had a very nice 700 CDL 7RUM...With factory Rem Core-Lokts it was lucky to shoot a 4" group @ 100 yards. He put 20 rounds down the tube and I took him to see my gunsmith. He snatched the barrel, trued the action, worked his magic, and put a 26" heavy STW barrel & a HS Precision 5R stock on it. We haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but it oughtta be a shooter. :D

I have a buddy who had a very nice 700 CDL 7RUM...With factory Rem Core-Lokts it was lucky to shoot a 4" group @ 100 yards. He put 20 rounds down the tube and I took him to see my gunsmith. He snatched the barrel, trued the action, worked his magic, and put a 26" heavy STW barrel & a HS Precision 5R stock on it. We haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but it oughtta be a shooter. :D

Shoulda got a Savage, my 24 inch 7 RUM stacks 175's at 3200fps easy peasy gun)

Shoulda got a Savage, my 24 inch 7 RUM stacks 175's at 3200fps easy peasy gun)

I don't know how long you have had that gun but was barrel life an issue? And is that velocity an accurate representation of most 7 RUM's?

I don't know how long you have had that gun but was barrel life an issue? And is that velocity an accurate representation of most 7 RUM's?

I've got about 400 rounds down it, taking it very easy and I only put that barrel on when I'm bored or want to play with a bullet. I looked at the throat the last time I swapped it out and it's fine, it should not have the throat life of a lesser case like the STW but it won't magically get half the life just because it's an RUM.
I have not had many 7 RUM's so I don't know if that would be average or not velocity but I don't think I'm pushing it overly hard considering the case capacity and velocity vs the 7mm-300 Win. It does have a long throat like many RUM's do, I have not even pushed it hard enough to loosen a primer pocket which is a typical RUM thing to see after a few firings.
I think no one has really worked with the 7 RUM case enough to really get a solid feeling for it, I got this barrel to play with the 200gr Wildcat bullet but shortly after getting it and fitting those bullets went MIA so there is really no bullet that is really excellent in this capacity case until maybe the 195 Berger.

I still think the 7mm-300 win is an ideal top end BUT if you gotta go big do it right and don't screw around, stomp on itgun)

I still think the 7mm-300 win is an ideal top end BUT if you gotta go big do it right and don't screw around, stomp on itgun)

lol yeah, something like that. hahaha

After going and doing some shooting with my 7RM this weekend, I will have a hard time going to much anything different. My brother in law and I were both shooting, he had a 223, I had my 7RM Sendero with a brake. After getting done shooting, we switched guns. He was trying to tell me that my 7RM with the brake had equivalent recoil to his 223 Ruger with the heavy 26" barrel. I woudln't go that far, but holy smoke, it is such a dream to shoot with that brake on it, and it wasn't as loud as I thought it would be. Ear plugs were more than sufficient. Chad Dixon at LongRifles told me that it was pretty quiet for a brake, and I don't have any to compare it to at this point, but it was not bad at all. If I was a little more ballsy about it I would try shooting without ear plugs just to see. Maybe in my younger day lol

Brakes without earplugs SUCK, unless you get that barrel pointed outside of the shooting house, so the blast can escape without making you completely deaf for the next 3 days. Ask me how I learned that lesson by trying to shoot deer sniper-style with a Browning 7RM w/ a BOSS on it...From INSIDE the shooting house... Yeah, that was a bad idea, and only took once to learn that lesson.

I was much younger and dumber, but we all live and learn, right? LOL

Now none of my rifles have brakes on them, and once I rebarrel my A-Bolt with a new barrel, it won't either...

Mud I would hardly compare todays brakes to the old Browning Boss system. That browning boss was very rude. Brakes have made some great progress in both recoil reduction and noise over the years. I, like many believe brakes are a very important element to successful long range hunting where accuracy and spotting shots come into play.

I would not have a long range rig without a brake. But you need to go with what you prefer.

jeff

Brakes without earplugs SUCK, unless you get that barrel pointed outside of the shooting house, so the blast can escape without making you completely deaf for the next 3 days. Ask me how I learned that lesson by trying to shoot deer sniper-style with a Browning 7RM w/ a BOSS on it...From INSIDE the shooting house... Yeah, that was a bad idea, and only took once to learn that lesson.

I was much younger and dumber, but we all live and learn, right? LOL

Now none of my rifles have brakes on them, and once I rebarrel my A-Bolt with a new barrel, it won't either...

Plus1. I made that same mistake with another 7mag I had.. You are right MR, you live an learn!! I too don't own anything with a brake!!

DT

Mud I would hardly compare todays brakes to the old Browning Boss system. That browning boss was very rude. Brakes have made some great progress in both recoil reduction and noise over the years. I, like many believe brakes are a very important element to successful long range hunting where accuracy and spotting shots come into play.

I would not have a long range rig without a brake. But you need to go with what you prefer.

jeff
I will be honest, I haven't shot many rifles with the new brakes on them. That BOSS system really is one loud SOB. I can touch one off at the range under that tin roof, and people just stop, lean back, and look to see *** that was that just shot. LOL

It truly does help with recoil, though. That thing kicks like a .243. There's plenty of times I've shot it (accurately, might I add) with 1 hand, off of sandbags, while using my other hand to block the sun so I could see the target.

I agree, they are still probably pretty loud, but man do they make a gun fun to shoot. A 7RM is far from punishing recoil, but I thought if it would help accuracy it would be worth it. It is great. I like it a lot.

I know a lot of guys who don't runt hem thgouh, and that is fine too. To each their own. I kinda want to see how much recoil woudl get dummied down on a big 338 or something crazy like that. I got a buddy with one of those Savage 338 Lapuas that has a brake. Maybe I should shoot that thing once to see what it is like. Kinda entertaining anyways.

I should also note that none of my shooting has been, or probably ever will be from a shooting bench or shooting house so to speak. All my shooting is done on a bipod, prone, with a rear bag. This is how I shoot my test loads all the way up through hunting situations. Sometimes I wish I had a sled or something for shooting test loads to make sure any loads miss because of the gun, and not me. But I have been having good luck this way, plus it is good real practice so to speak, of a hunting situation. I just put up a target, range it, find a good spot to lay down there, and get after it.

I guess the moral of that story is the brake doesn't echo for me like it would shooting at a range from a bench or covered shooting house I guess.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts