6.5 Sherman VS 280 Ackley Improved

Pro's of the 280 ackley!!
no fire forming
factory brass from peterson.. some of the best brass made better than ADG
factory high end dies at half the cost by many well known manufacturers
factory high end off the shelf ammo for that what if moment
runs great with powders that aren't unobtainium
I'd take a 180 gr anything @2900-3K over a 156 at 3k any day of the week and twice on sunday..
You got that right! A heavier slower bullet will out penetrate and fast light bullet! Especially for elk!

Why would you use the same powder charge? The 280 Sherman has slightly more case capacity than the Ackley, so you could push the same bullet at a higher velocity with the Sherman.

Edit to add: That's an honest question- I'm not giving you grief I was just curious why you would want to limit the capacity on the Sherman to that of the Ackley.
Another benefit of the 280AI is in a pinch you can hunt with it shoot 280 Remingtons! Fire form while you have fun!

Anytime I can get a larger caliber and heavier grain bullet with near matching ballistics, I'm going that route. I have a 280 AI and jumping into the craze I bought a 6.5 PRC. 2 yrs later I'm giving the PRC to my buddy for a wedding present. Just don't need it. A SS might be a hotter 6.5 but I still like the options of 168 ABLR, 175 Berger or 180 ELD-M. With the 6.5 the only heavy I had was the 156 EOL which I didn't shoot because my rifle shot great with the 143 eld-x and 147 ELD-M. 280 AI is a really impressive cartridge with a 26 inch barrel and a case full of Rldr 23 or 26. Either way, you are gonna have a great rifle. There's no wrong choice here. Enjoy.

With the 156 gr berger, I cant see a reason not to go with a 6.5 Sherman unless you just don't want to fireform the brass. Im getting a little over 3200 fps with the 140's out of my 6.5 Sherman so you are still going to easily get over 3000 fps with the 156. That's enough to take an elk in my book.

My 11 year old son has taken 2 cow elk with the 6.5 Sherman and 140 bergers. One was shot at 500 yards and the second was at 590 yards. He was 9 years old the 1st cow and 10 on the second. Both elk died within 20 yards. He shoots it better than I do with those young eyes. He likes it so much because it has almost ZERO recoil and he has no flinch so he can put the shots where they need to be. With any bullet, its all about shot placement. I don't know why Im rambling on about this as you have been on this sight for a while and know what you are doing haha!
What state allows a 9 year old a.c hinting license

280 A.I. 180 Hy at 2950. 1000 yds
drift. moa/1000. vel/1000. E/1000
44.4. 22.1. 1898' 1440 lbs

42.2. 19.0. 1977'. 1457 lbs
6.5 Sh. 156 EOL at 3150. 1000 yds

Just sayin🙂

If you say the A.I. will run 3000', the Sherman will run 3200' easier

Last edited:
My question is which one would you want when a big bull gives you a shoulder shot at 400 yards?

My question is which one would you want when a big bull gives you a shoulder shot at 400 yards?
I'd probably opt for that 139gr Hammer Hunter in the 6.5 Sherman if I were to use it on elk, especially if I thought a shot through their heavy bones was inevitable and limit my shots to 450 yards or under.
I'd most likely choose the 155gr Hammer Hunter if I were to utilize the 280AI and impose the same limits on myself.
Here in the northwest, I'd consider 450 yards long distance for a shot on an elk. The country you typically find them in is pretty dense, dark timber.

I was gonna post the same thing but didn't think it was worth the arguement.
Really cant be argued! The numbers dont lie. The 6.5 Sherman will beat the 280 Sherman also, in everything but energy.
I know the 25 plus bulls Ive killed with the 6.5 would agree if they could talk🙂
That said, there is nothing at all wrong with a 280 A.I.

With the 156 gr berger, I cant see a reason not to go with a 6.5 Sherman unless you just don't want to fireform the brass. Im getting a little over 3200 fps with the 140's out of my 6.5 Sherman so you are still going to easily get over 3000 fps with the 156. That's enough to take an elk in my book.

My 11 year old son has taken 2 cow elk with the 6.5 Sherman and 140 bergers. One was shot at 500 yards and the second was at 590 yards. He was 9 years old the 1st cow and 10 on the second. Both elk died within 20 yards. He shoots it better than I do with those young eyes. He likes it so much because it has almost ZERO recoil and he has no flinch so he can put the shots where they need to be. With any bullet, its all about shot placement. I don't know why Im rambling on about this as you have been on this sight for a while and know what you are doing haha!
My old Sherman was pushing the 150gr Matrix at 3180fps in my 24" Bartlein, but it may have just been a faster barrel. Either way, this was before the magical RL26 came about and I had a case jam-packed full of RL33 to the point I was "embracing the crush" to hit those speeds. =)
6 years later, I wish I had just kept that rifle lol

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.