6.5 Sherman VS 280 Ackley Improved

wilkup

I've never owned an Ackley, but used to have the Sherman. It's still the one that got away, but I wanted something that seemed shinier at the time and couldn't afford to have both.
With the heavy for caliber, high BC 6.5mm options available these days, is there anything the 280AI is capable of that the 6.5 Sherman is not?
I'm looking to assemble a new mountain gun (my Mark V is HEAVY), and I feel a burning need for one of these two rounds.
In what scenarios would one be better than the other?

I've never owned an Ackley, but used to have the Sherman. It's still the one that got away, but I wanted something that seemed shinier at the time and couldn't afford to have both.
With the heavy for caliber, high BC 6.5mm options available these days, is there anything the 280AI is capable of that the 6.5 Sherman is not?
I'm looking to assemble a new mountain gun (my Mark V is HEAVY), and I feel a burning need for one of these two rounds.
In what scenarios would one be better than the other?
Or you could also go 280 Sherman😁

Or you could also go 280 Sherman😁
I'm leaning hard towards another one of your 6.5s and will need someone to come up with a pretty compelling argument not to go that direction. I'm fairly certain I could hunt anything in the lower 48 with the 156gr Berger EOL or possibly North America with the 137gr Hammer Hunter.

I'm leaning hard towards another one of your 6.5s and will need someone to come up with a pretty compelling argument not to go that direction. I'm fairly certain I could hunt anything in the lower 48 with the 156gr Berger EOL or possibly North America with the 137gr Hammer Hunter.
You could for sure! I would strongly consider one of my saum based designs if I were you!

If you do go 280AI, find some Peterson brass. So envious of all the 280AI owners I have talked to that had easy/fast load development. My problems were donuts developing randomly then completely. Fixed it, but sure chased a ghost that I did not understand until round ~200....
It is a great cartridge my grandkids love shooting.
Anything elkaholic recommends is always worth a look. Keep an open mind.

With the 156 gr berger, I cant see a reason not to go with a 6.5 Sherman unless you just don't want to fireform the brass. Im getting a little over 3200 fps with the 140's out of my 6.5 Sherman so you are still going to easily get over 3000 fps with the 156. That's enough to take an elk in my book.

My 11 year old son has taken 2 cow elk with the 6.5 Sherman and 140 bergers. One was shot at 500 yards and the second was at 590 yards. He was 9 years old the 1st cow and 10 on the second. Both elk died within 20 yards. He shoots it better than I do with those young eyes. He likes it so much because it has almost ZERO recoil and he has no flinch so he can put the shots where they need to be. With any bullet, its all about shot placement. I don't know why Im rambling on about this as you have been on this sight for a while and know what you are doing haha!

Pro's of the 280 ackley!!
no fire forming
factory brass from peterson.. some of the best brass made better than ADG
factory high end dies at half the cost by many well known manufacturers
factory high end off the shelf ammo for that what if moment
runs great with powders that aren't unobtainium
I'd take a 180 gr anything @2900-3K over a 156 at 3k any day of the week and twice on sunday..

Last edited:
What if the saum based was fully formed?
I'd need a new donor action then...
but a WSM based Sherman "Super Max" with a long throat would be quite the ticket in a Tikka action =)
My experience with your wildcats is that the ones based on a standard case pack the same performance, maybe even a little more than their SAUM counterparts, along with brass that's easier and cheaper to find, easier feeding and as well as the higher round capacity. The fire forming never bothered me when I was shooting and loading for my old 6.5mm.
If I'm off base on those notions, I'd love to be enlightened.

I'd need a new donor action then...
but a WSM based Sherman "Super Max" with a long throat would be quite the ticket in a Tikka action =)
My experience with your wildcats is that the ones based on a standard case pack the same performance, maybe even a little more than their SAUM counterparts, along with brass that's easier and cheaper to find, easier feeding and as well as the higher round capacity. The fire forming never bothered me when I was shooting and loading for my old 6.5mm.
If I'm off base on those notions, I'd love to be enlightened.
You would need a magnum action, yes!
The Max and the Sherman run about heads up.
The 280 Sherman will reach 3100' with a 180 if you didnt want the 156 at 3200+ in the 6.5

If you do go 280AI, find some Peterson brass. So envious of all the 280AI owners I have talked to that had easy/fast load development. My problems were donuts developing randomly then completely. Fixed it, but sure chased a ghost that I did not understand until round ~200....
It is a great cartridge my grandkids love shooting.
Anything elkaholic recommends is always worth a look. Keep an open mind.

I'm sorry you had issues but really appreciate you sharing your story so I know I'm not completely crazy. My 280AI gave me fits with Nosler brass and I found and verified my load with the 175 Berger EH in less than 30 rounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.