280 AI vs. 6.5 Sherman?

In the past two years with Peterson now offering excellent stamped brass and the 280AI becoming more mainstream, it's starting to seem like a no brainer for the lazy reloader that I am. Especially with how heavily weighted the recommendations are to that side of the conversation.

Between the two, .280 AI. A few years ago, I contemplated building .280 AI but went the .270 AI route instead and never looked back.
Your 270 AI thread that is old history now was the only reason I even got mixed up in the wildcat game lol I jumped from that 270AI concept to the 6.5 Sherman and have owned some variation of wildcat for the past decade.

Last edited:
The 175g Nosler LRAB is worth building a rifle around, 9T. Accuracy, great penetration, and massive internal damage with these 175's...BC is not bad either.

When you shoot a deer or hog going away from you, square in the ***, the bullet comes out the front, breaking a shoulder!

Last edited:
I don't have the 6.5 Sherman but do have a couple Sherman wildcats, the 6.5 SS and a 7 Max. I've shot a lot of Hammers out of both and would highly recommend faster twist rate barrels to fully stabilize the longer monolithic bullets. In the 6.5SS I've run the 124 hammer at 3250 fps out of a 22" barrel in 7.5 twist In the 7 Max I ran the 131 Hammer at 3450 fps in an 8 twist. Both are crazy accurate (1/2" MOA or better) and absolutely devastating on game.

When I re-barrel they will get faster twist rates to get gyroscopic stability on heavier monolithic bullets above 2.0 , the higher the better for optimal terminal performance.

I love everthing Sherman…..I'm a total homer….ok??

I would do a 280ai in this range. I would first make a dummy round at mag length with the longest Bullet I want to shoot. Then ask my gunsmith to throat to that round.

I would do 7.5-9 twist based on what that bullet was.

I believe I would use the 145 LRX or 146gr hammer hunter.

I really like the easy button of the 280ai. I went down the same path last year and ultimately decided to have the 280ai built. The fact that I had a good supply of 7mm bullets and suitable powder pushed me toward the decision. Scored some Peterson brass and Redding dies and just hope that I get the call soon that the rifle is ready. Good luck and in the end it really doesn't matter which direction you go.
I'm of the same mind. My 270 Winchester is currently fed a steady diet of that excellent Peterson Brass and I was pleasantly surprised to see 280AI offered by them too the last time I bought brass.