280 SHERMAN MAX vs .280 A.I.

Do you have any reason why creating a false shoulder if preferred? I've jammed the lands before but it always makes me a bit nervous. I have no proven reason for it, I just get concerned about some strange pressure spike. probably just paranoid.

No issue if you run a moderate load. I actually use a false shoulder AND jam just to make sure the head space is tight and everything is centered

What oal is needed for the 270-280 Sherman? I can lengthen the magazine if needed. I'm at 3.4" in my Mauser but could get 3.6" with a bit of work.
3.6" is what it needs.
The "Max" terminology is now designated to the Saum based cartridge. The reference to 280 max was tossed around a few years back and now the cartridge is called 280 Sherman.

Hey Rich

I have been trying to keep up with your wildcats, but you are making up new ones to fast for me to keep up. I think that the administrator of this forum should create a sub forum just for wildcats. Do you have plans for creating a .284 version of the 300 Sherman Magnum?

Hey Rich

I have been trying to keep up with your wildcats, but you are making up new ones to fast for me to keep up. I think that the administrator of this forum should create a sub forum just for wildcats. Do you have plans for creating a .284 version of the 300 Sherman Magnum?
I've had people ask that as well as a 338. As you stated, I have been creating a lot lately and have to restock the cookie jar. Probably will down the road.

If you're asking about using loaded 280 ai ammo though, it's a no. The shoulder is pushed farther forward on Rich's sherman case so you need to form a false shoulder to head space off of. Not a big deal by any means to do though.

If you're asking about using loaded 280 ai ammo though, it's a no. The shoulder is pushed farther forward on Rich's sherman case so you need to form a false shoulder to head space off of. Not a big deal by any means to do though.
Thats correct! you CAN NOT shoot A.
I. ammo, just the brass can be used to fire form from with proper set up.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.