6.5 Sherman VS 280 Ackley Improved

Elk to 600 yards isn't even getting warmed up on the 6.5 Sherman, an elk won't know the difference, a bear or deer most certainly won't!! For an everything every day rifle I lean HARD to the 6.5 Sherman after watching it taco stuff for years there's no question, it's the perfect balance of recoil and getting work done which is what an every day rifle is all about, versatility and ease!
I've watch a running bull elk take a 160 Matrix right behind the shoulder and he was piled up inside 30 yards and he was running hard breaking out of the timber and it was a blood bath the few yards he made it, bulls are hard to slow down once they have a head of steam up so that impressed me a little!!
On to the topic at hand, I 100% agree with @bigngreen about the 6.5 barely getting warmed up at 600. For that fairly short range, 6.5 SS is no problem on elk. By the way, maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anyone mention the SST version? Rich has an SST which obviously will give up some performance but no fireforming is required, (correct @elkaholic ?) and feeding will be better (not that it matters on a hunting rig a whole lot).

To answer your original post, I can think of 3 reasons I'd consider 7mm over 6.5mm. If more down range energy is needed, if less wind drift is critical or if more barrel life is important. We've already discussed that a 6.5 has plenty of energy for a 600 yard elk, so only time energy will be a problem is past 1000-1200 and I'm not shooting elk that far anyways, but on steel those 180s make a noticeably larger impact than the 140s and 150s. Wind drift again you're not going to notice much difference until about 1200 yards, and even at that range you're probably looking at 0.5-1.5 MOA difference, depending on bullets/speed. Last but not least is barrel life, and if this is a hunting rifle, your grandkids will be old people before the barrel burns out, unless you just shoot it a lot for practice.

I'll also throw out there that Rich's several good 7mm options are great, and if it were me (and I did FWIW) I would go with a 7SS or 7SST if I had chosen 7mm over 6.5. I am a short action supporter though, love everything about them, parts availability is the big one, but also shorter cycle for faster shooting. Plus since this is a mountain rifle, SA is lighter weight, might be something you should consider.

I've never hunted in Kentucky. I would really like to go some day. The pictures I've seen, makes it very beautiful. I wold have to read the hunting guid before going up there. Colorado says 25 caliber or larger. Well the last time I checked anyway. I can never stress enough to please all way pick up a hunting guid ( Book ) for what ever state you are hunting in. It changes very often, year to year. Thanks for sharing the info about Kentucky.
Yes thanks for the info on KY, but that's crazy! Didn't realize CO was .257 either. Here in WY .243 is the lower limit on "large" big game (elk, moose, and I believe bear) and .224 is legal for "small" big game (deer, antelope, sheep, goats etc), that 224 thing just came to be in the last couple years, used to be .243 for all.

Come on over! We're fine with more like you, we just don't need anymore West coasters who bring their politics (I know YOU won't, that's why I said come on over). That's the general problem we see happening in CO and even MT and TX, liberals/communists are fleeing where they're from because there aren't any jobs and their quality of life is in the toilet, so they move to a prosperous/free state, then they vote for the same type of people that were running things where they left from, and eventually their new state goes down the tubes.
Yea, it seems all these liberal transplants have serious difficulty realizing the correlation between their voting bias and the deterioration of the states from which they flee. Washington used to be a "hidden jewel" growing up. The transplants have been doing their best to destroy every aspect of it the past 3 decades of my life! Now with the popularity of the show Yellowstone coupled with the newly discovered freedom to work from home due to the chaos causing flu, it would appear Montana and Idaho are next on the liberal "hit list" of destruction.
Thanks for the welcome. I can't wait for the day I have the pleasure of relocating. It's going to be the greatest gift I've ever given to myself, in honor of my 40th birthday lol

On to the topic at hand, I 100% agree with @bigngreen about the 6.5 barely getting warmed up at 600. For that fairly short range, 6.5 SS is no problem on elk. By the way, maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anyone mention the SST version? Rich has an SST which obviously will give up some performance but no fireforming is required, (correct @elkaholic ?) and feeding will be better (not that it matters on a hunting rig a whole lot).

To answer your original post, I can think of 3 reasons I'd consider 7mm over 6.5mm. If more down range energy is needed, if less wind drift is critical or if more barrel life is important. We've already discussed that a 6.5 has plenty of energy for a 600 yard elk, so only time energy will be a problem is past 1000-1200 and I'm not shooting elk that far anyways, but on steel those 180s make a noticeably larger impact than the 140s and 150s. Wind drift again you're not going to notice much difference until about 1200 yards, and even at that range you're probably looking at 0.5-1.5 MOA difference, depending on bullets/speed. Last but not least is barrel life, and if this is a hunting rifle, your grandkids will be old people before the barrel burns out, unless you just shoot it a lot for practice.

I'll also throw out there that Rich's several good 7mm options are great, and if it were me (and I did FWIW) I would go with a 7SS or 7SST if I had chosen 7mm over 6.5. I am a short action supporter though, love everything about them, parts availability is the big one, but also shorter cycle for faster shooting. Plus since this is a mountain rifle, SA is lighter weight, might be something you should consider.
I dig the short actions too, but think the standard case feeds better. I also never had an issue fireforming either my SS or standard Sherman.

The plan is to put together something that looks like this.

Attachments

• 298F28B6-3994-443C-BE3C-0A0B3D559B52.png
    298F28B6-3994-443C-BE3C-0A0B3D559B52.png
    364.1 KB · Views: 140
Lol been there done that...

64-76 hours straight making french fries! Dozens of times....

43-55 hours straight making tire and wheel assemblies for mercedes, seats for mercedes, lime for pharmaceuticals, airbags for cars........

Btw my vote is a 280AI with a new 30" bartlein high velocity steel carbon wrapped barrel in a fast twist and 195 grain bergers.....

I love long heavy for caliber high bc bullets...
That would be a nice gun.

Yea, it seems all these liberal transplants have serious difficulty realizing the correlation between their voting bias and the deterioration of the states from which they flee. Washington used to be a "hidden jewel" growing up. The transplants have been doing their best to destroy every aspect of it the past 3 decades of my life! Now with the popularity of the show Yellowstone coupled with the newly discovered freedom to work from home due to the chaos causing flu, it would appear Montana and Idaho are next on the liberal "hit list" of destruction.
Thanks for the welcome. I can't wait for the day I have the pleasure of relocating. It's going to be the greatest gift I've ever given to myself, in honor of my 40th birthday lol
Really appreciate that sir.

Just so you know, I designed the 6.5 Sherman, and in my opinion, it is better, all around. Im usually defending the other direction from naysayers😁
But, loaded equally, the Nosler

I agree the Sherman is better! I designed it😁
Faster......??
I also agree that everybody needs to shoot whatever they want.
Ford vs Chevy🙂
LOL!! This just is too funny

Yes sir it is.
I just hate sometimes how people respond. My kids get on here sometimes so I try to be respectful on what I say. I do thank they need to see the cruel and disrespectful side of People. It makes it more easy on me to show them on how not to react. I feel the majority of the people on here are trying to build a bond with others who have the same Passion. I will never judge the world off one bad person.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.