6.5 Sherman VS 280 Ackley Improved

I should've clarified my intentions for this sort of rifle in my original post.
I hunt deer and bear mostly, with an occasional elk hunt thrown in there, as well as coyotes anytime the opportunity presents itself. My longest shot on big game to date was just over 550 yards on a mule deer. I'd want this round to be capable of all this and give me the option to practice increasing my long range skills on paper, rocks or steel. Seems these two rounds are neck and neck, all things considered.
With this new information, does that change anyone's precious recommendations?

Just my 2 cents worth here. I am thinking since you said a mountain gun that elk might be on the menu. I own several 6.5's and love them. 6.5x284, 6.5 PRC, and 264 mag. My father had a 280 imp and it was a great gun. Great shooter. 98 Mauser with a Douglas barrel. My opinion is if elk are on the menu go with the caliber that you can shoot the heaviest bullet. They are tough critters. Not saying the 6.5"s aren't capable. They very much are so. Like I said, I love the 6.5 but when I go Elk hunting I carry a 330 Dakota. Oh and by the way, I do not own a 6.5 creed. LOL!!!
LoL

Have you thought about a 7-08? Low recoil Great ammo selection When reloading or off the shelf. Get like a 20" or 22" barrel For easy carry in those mountains. That's a great round for Elk, Moose, even Bear. 140 grain up to 195 grains. I have taken a cow elk just shy of 1000 yards in Colorado with a 260 Rem 140 grain bullet. 1 shot. She prob walked about 20 yards or so. That being said I'm not saying it's the best elk gun. I'm just say it can do it. Point is this, if a low caliber 6.5 Rifle can do this than why would you need lets say a 300win Mag Or larger to do the same thang at like 500 yards or less? The thangs that make you go hum. Good luck on your build sir.

Elk to 600 yards isn't even getting warmed up on the 6.5 Sherman, an elk won't know the difference, a bear or deer most certainly won't!! For an everything every day rifle I lean HARD to the 6.5 Sherman after watching it taco stuff for years there's no question, it's the perfect balance of recoil and getting work done which is what an every day rifle is all about, versatility and ease!
I've watch a running bull elk take a 160 Matrix right behind the shoulder and he was piled up inside 30 yards and he was running hard breaking out of the timber and it was a blood bath the few yards he made it, bulls are hard to slow down once they have a head of steam up so that impressed me a little!!

If you Elk hunt in Kentucky the .280 AI is legal but none of the 6.5's are! The law says .270 or larger.
I've never hunted in Kentucky. I would really like to go some day. The pictures I've seen, makes it very beautiful. I wold have to read the hunting guid before going up there. Colorado says 25 caliber or larger. Well the last time I checked anyway. I can never stress enough to please all way pick up a hunting guid ( Book ) for what ever state you are hunting in. It changes very often, year to year. Thanks for sharing the info about Kentucky.

Bigngreen is one of the most respected guys on this forum, and has been for many years.
I could care less whether or not you like a Sherman of any kind but you could at least show Bigngreen some respect who has actually shot one!
I didnt read anything in his statement about "too much gun" ! He just happens to have some real world experience with it
LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL
Are you guys jr high or high school?

If you Elk hunt in Kentucky the .280 AI is legal but none of the 6.5's are! The law says .270 or larger.
Guess I'll have to take my 7 Mag. as a matter a fact. I might check and see if it's legal to take my Dragunov Sniper Rifle ( 7.62x54R ) I usually shoot 150 grain bullets from it because of the twist rate. It's says it's a 1-12 but it's more like a 1-14 I should be good with 168 grain bullets.

Elk to 600 yards isn't even getting warmed up on the 6.5 Sherman, an elk won't know the difference, a bear or deer most certainly won't!! For an everything every day rifle I lean HARD to the 6.5 Sherman after watching it taco stuff for years there's no question, it's the perfect balance of recoil and getting work done which is what an every day rifle is all about, versatility and ease!
I've watch a running bull elk take a 160 Matrix right behind the shoulder and he was piled up inside 30 yards and he was running hard breaking out of the timber and it was a blood bath the few yards he made it, bulls are hard to slow down once they have a head of steam up so that impressed me a little!!
Anytime you start a thread or contribute to someone else's, you're one of the very few on here who's words I'll take as gospel. I'm glad to hear you still hold the 6.5 Sherman in such high regard. In your opinion, how does it compare to the 280AI?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.