6.5-280 Ackley Improved?

The 25-06 AI chamber will be shorter than the 280 AI chamber.
Good! So if I run them through a FL .25-06 AI sizing die before-hand I should be fine then. Good news everyone, forming .25-06 AI shoulders has now become easy!

Now if only Norma would make some factory .25-06 AI stamped brass ready from the factory, that would be sweet!

Good! So if I run them through a FL .25-06 AI sizing die before-hand I should be fine then. Good news everyone, forming .25-06 AI shoulders has now become easy!

Now if only Norma would make some factory .25-06 AI stamped brass ready from the factory, that would be sweet!
Pushing a 40 degree shoulder back is not as easy as you think! Especially pushing it some .050".

Last edited:
Pushing a 40 degree shoulder back is not as easy as you think! Especially pushing it some .050".
Rich, that post was from 2013... :D I've since figured out my perfect process. I was actually referencing necking SAAMI .270 Win brass down to fire-form into .25-06 AI, not pushing the .25-06 AI 40º shoulder back.

Rich, that post was from 2013... :D I've since figured out my perfect process. I was actually referencing necking SAAMI .270 Win brass down to fire-form into .25-06 AI, not pushing the .25-06 AI 40º shoulder back.
Hey, that's only 5 years I thought you were trying to push back a 280 a.i. to 25 a.i. tough job!

Hey, that's only 5 years I thought you were trying to push back a 280 a.i. to 25 a.i. tough job!
Nah, I tried that early on in the process, but it was a no-go. Kept getting muffin tops at the wall/shoulder junction... So I decided to with the .270 Win brass and start from there. EXPONENTIALLY simpler. :D

The 6.5 Sherman is basically a 6.5 Gibbs reworked to a longer neck with same/more case capacity. I use the Gibbs design, but because I had it all before I knew about Rich. His offerings are the easy button to get wildcat performance without the hassle. Just fantastic stuff.

If I were doing a new 6.5 right now I think it would be hard to pass on the 6.5 PRC/SI, but the 6.5 Max all his design and is supposed to be a beast. I run the 30 Sherman currently, but really want a 6 Max next.