280 Remington in a 280 A.I. Rifle

BigSky!

This ain't my first rodeo; but, I have a question I never thought to ask until now. I have been a 280 guy for 35 years. I'm getting my first 280 A.I. next week. I know I can shoot 280 Rem ammo in my 280 A.I., that's not the question. My question is this, does shooting 280 Rem ammo in a 280 A.I. automatically provide any negatives? I'm not talking about "vs 280 A.I. ammo" or "is it the same", as I know it is not.

I will be reloading A.I. I know every load, every bullet is different. I guess I'm just getting down to the most simple of levels. Is there lost energy, accuracy, etc. because of the slight change in the chamber, even though both can be safely shot? I've searched and can't find my answer. It just seems intuitive that, having two exact same rifles, same manufacturer, same barrel length, etc. only one rifle is chambered for 280 Rem and the other one chambered for 280 A.I., if one were to shoot, let's say, the exact same factory 280 Remington ammo in each, one would expect, from that ammo, more inherent accuracy and better velocity and performance if fired from the 280 Remington rifle than from the otherwise identical 280 A.I. rifle.

Is that correct? Please, please, nobody come here and debate which is better or why would one use 280 Rem ammo or any other non-relevant matter. I just want to be educated on that one miner difference and its affect. Thanks in advance.

This ain't my first rodeo; but, I have a question I never thought to ask until now. I have been a 280 guy for 35 years. I'm getting my first 280 A.I. next week. I know I can shoot 280 Rem ammo in my 280 A.I., that's not the question. My question is this, does shooting 280 Rem ammo in a 280 A.I. automatically provide any negatives? I'm not talking about "vs 280 A.I. ammo" or "is it the same", as I know it is not.

I will be reloading A.I. I know every load, every bullet is different. I guess I'm just getting down to the most simple of levels. Is there lost energy, accuracy, etc. because of the slight change in the chamber, even though both can be safely shot? I've searched and can't find my answer. It just seems intuitive that, having two exact same rifles, same manufacturer, same barrel length, etc. only one rifle is chambered for 280 Rem and the other one chambered for 280 A.I., if one were to shoot, let's say, the exact same factory 280 Remington ammo in each, one would expect, from that ammo, more inherent accuracy and better velocity and performance if fired from the 280 Remington rifle than from the otherwise identical 280 A.I. rifle.

Is that correct? Please, please, nobody come here and debate which is better or why would one use 280 Rem ammo or any other non-relevant matter. I just want to be educated on that one miner difference and its affect. Thanks in advance.

When firing 280 ammo in a 280 AI chamber you are forming the brass and some loss of accuracy
will normally occur. However, if the load is a good one and headspace is also very tight where the case/round cant move around in the chamber, you can expect some very good accuracy and very little if any velocity loss over the same ammo fired in a 280 chamber of the same quality.

It is common for people that have a 280 AI to have hunting accuracy when using 280 rem ammo
and fire forming there brass at the same time.

Of course the 280 AI will out perform the 280 because of the increase in powder volume if so loaded.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks J.E. That's exactly the information for which I was looking. It appears as though my suspicions are correct only not to the extent I thought. Thanks again.

Thanks J.E. That's exactly the information for which I was looking. It appears as though my suspicions are correct only not to the extent I thought. Thanks again.

I routinely fire-form during F-Class league nights, and fire form rounds can be very accurate. I know that is match rifles, etc. etc., but you might be very pleasantly surprised.

-nosualc

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts