280 AI vs 6.5 SAUM

-WARDOG-

LRH Team Member
I was recently shooting at a competition with targets from 100 yds to 1200 yds.
I brought one rifle for everything and it was chambered in 7 WSM. I shot 50 rounds in about four hours. I was wore out by the end. I was shooting 180 Berger VLD-H's @ 2780 fps so they were nothing hot, just accurate. Perhaps a muzzle brake would help with marathon sessions like that, but the rifle is 12 pounds so that helps.
I will be shooting the same course next year, but this time I plan to shoot 100-600 yd targets with my .244, and everything past that will go back to the 7 WSM.

squeeeeze

If less recoil is truely what you’re after then the 6.5 SAUM shooting 140’s will provide that. Sweet round. The 6.5 PRC is the latest and greatest, the 6.5 SAUM was a few years ago as well but didn’t get the Hornady hype. The 280AI is a great round as well but shooting heavier bullets will provide more recoil. More speed and better ballistic you could step up to a 7mm Mag as mentioned to a 7WSM. My 7WSM is shooting 180’s @3,030fps with minimal recoil suppressed.

Probably the most important thing is using the best brake that reduces recoil the most and a good recoil pad helps too. I love Terminator brakes and they do an amazing job. My 28 Nosler with a Terminator T5 shooting 195’s kicks less than my .243 without a brake did. All great cartridges though, just different uses.

squeeeeze

squeeeeze: "My 7WSM is shooting 180’s @3,030fps with minimal recoil suppressed."
Which powder are you using to get to that velocity?
68.2 Gr Retumbo 2.94” COAL with a very compressed load.
Short action, 26” Lila 3 groove #4 BBL. Suppressor added about 25fps. Would have loved to have built it on a M/L to long action but that’s what I had.

Shoots amazing, my most accurate and easy to shoot rifle with my 6mm creed right behind it.