6.5 Sherman VS 280 Ackley Improved

I'm sorry you had issues but really appreciate you sharing your story so I know I'm not completely crazy. My 280AI gave me fits with Nosler brass and I found and verified my load with the 175 Berger EH in less than 30 rounds.
100 rounds of factory Nosler ammo and 100 rounds of once fired and new Nosler brass. The K&M neck turner kit came in last. Problem solved. But....painful lesson. Will go Peterson brass when I can get it.

Tickled with my 280AI, shoots 150 grain accubonds extremely accurate and fast. Don't need much larger bullets in my neck of the woods so i'm thrilled with the 150's. I have bigger 7's with heavier loads.

6.5's lots of options - PRC is a good choice and when the election is over maybe bullets and brass will be easily available! :) Happy hunting;

I built my 280 AI a few years ago so there may be more latest and greatest but....
Nosler brass Bartlein 24" Barrel Tikka action and super easy to load for with Nosler brass. 180 Bergers and 175 A-frames@2850 and I'm happy. Was all pretty straight forward and easy.

I've never owned an Ackley, but used to have the Sherman. It's still the one that got away, but I wanted something that seemed shinier at the time and couldn't afford to have both.
With the heavy for caliber, high BC 6.5mm options available these days, is there anything the 280AI is capable of that the 6.5 Sherman is not?
I'm looking to assemble a new mountain gun (my Mark V is HEAVY), and I feel a burning need for one of these two rounds.
In what scenarios would one be better than the other?
a 280 AI almost duplicates a 7 Rem Mag. It's around 100 FPS slower than a 7 Mag. There is a lot of date on a 7 Mag so Find more info on that and just subtract 100 FPS. I am a huge fan of 6.5s and 7mm. I mainly shoot my 260 Remington w/ 140 grain Berger bullets. I've taken many animals up to and over 1000 yards with it. Deer, Elk, Hog, Coyotes. So if my 260 can do it I know for sure a 6.5 Sherman can. A 6.5 Sherman is a step above the new 26 Nosler. They pretty close though. This is a long range hunting sight so I'm taking it your hunting with it. A question is what are you shooting with it and how far?

As far as performance, I would have to give the edge to the Sherman. But, I would also consider: What about barrel life between the two? It seems to me the Sherman would be a barrel burner and the 280AI has a longer barrel life (assuming all things equal in not overheating barrels, etc). 280AI recoils like a 270 win and if the Sherman is similar to a 26 Nosler, that was one of the hardest kicking rifles I ever owned. When trying to decide between two calibers, I think these are also relevant questions (as well as the above stated info about brass cost, fire forming brass, availability of quality dies, and factory ammo options).

As far as performance, I would have to give the edge to the Sherman. But, I would also consider: What about barrel life between the two? It seems to me the Sherman would be a barrel burner and the 280AI has a longer barrel life (assuming all things equal in not overheating barrels, etc). 280AI recoils like a 270 win and if the Sherman is similar to a 26 Nosler, that was one of the hardest kicking rifles I ever owned. When trying to decide between two calibers, I think these are also relevant questions (as well as the above stated info about brass cost, fire forming brass, availability of quality dies, and factory ammo options).
I have a light-ish weight 280 Sherman (24" carbon barrel- weighs about 8.5 pounds scoped and ready to hunt), and with a small brake, it recoils lighter than my .270 Win or .308 Win without a brake.

Fireforming is easy- take some .270win brass (who doesn't have that laying around?) and neck it up then size it, load it, fire it once. Done.

6.5 Sherman or 280 AI.........definitely a first world problem. If you're planning on using it mainly for elk, I'd go the 280 AI route. Either will suit you well, but the 7mm bore is just better on larger game.

I just built a 280 AI before all this covid crap happened. It's a great cartridge and easy to tune. I'm running the 143 gr Hammer at 3260 fps, 150 LRAB at 3121 fps, and the 162 ELDX at 3030 fps. All 0.5 moa or less depending upon the guy squeezing the trigger. I loaded up on Nosler brass before Petersen released their brass, otherwise I'd be using it.
Good luck with your build. It's fun to have a project

I've never owned an Ackley, but used to have the Sherman. It's still the one that got away, but I wanted something that seemed shinier at the time and couldn't afford to have both.
With the heavy for caliber, high BC 6.5mm options available these days, is there anything the 280AI is capable of that the 6.5 Sherman is not?
I'm looking to assemble a new mountain gun (my Mark V is HEAVY), and I feel a burning need for one of these two rounds.
In what scenarios would one be better than the other?
LOL - I recently picked up my Mark V - and solid as can be - but t is heavy - or I am getting much older - or both. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.