6.5 Sherman VS 280 Ackley Improved

when comparing grain for grain bullets the Sherman will have a higher velocity. Higher velocity means more kinetic energy.
There is no way the Sherman will outrun a 26 Nosler loaded to equal pressure! It isn't that far behind given the capacity difference and definitely will get better barrel life and have less recoil. But outrun it, no way!
Other things also come into play like FB and how much bullet is in the case.

Last edited:
I'm leaning hard towards another one of your 6.5s and will need someone to come up with a pretty compelling argument not to go that direction. I'm fairly certain I could hunt anything in the lower 48 with the 156gr Berger EOL or possibly North America with the 137gr Hammer Hunter.
Yeah the 6.5 SS is pretty cool. Just working up loads for 153 ATIPS and 156 EOL. Both will be around 3000 FPS with 58.7-59 grains N565 (Maybe 59.3-5 with the Berger) 26" barrel. For a lighter mountain gun the 6.5 has the edge IMO. The 7SS is super as well and 3000 FPS with the 175 Berger elites is hard to beat. With the lighter gun a 150 Class grain And 2 grains less powder equals less recoil to manage. It makes a difference.

There is no way the Sherman will outrun a 26 Nosler loaded to equal pressure! It isn't that far behind given the capacity difference and definitely will get better barrel life and have less recoil. But outrun it, no way!
Other things also come into play like FB and how much bullet is in the case.
Here we go again. 26 Nosler is better than the Sherman, the 6.5 CM is better than the 260 Rem because we have this all new Magical R26 powder The 28 Nosler is the the fastest 7 MM, even though the 7 RUM smokes it. You must have a 300 Win Mag to kill elk and larger, 300 Win Mag is better than a 7 Rem Mag. When does it end? I mean my god is this a long range hunting site or is it a soap opera. If you thank your 26 Nosler is better then shoot it. If you thank your 6.5 CM is better good for you have a cookie. If you thank a 28 Nosler is better than by all means get one. I can not tell you how many guns I have. I have a 3 bedroom house and one of the rooms I use for a gun room. I'm not rich by any means. I like guns what can I say. I reload for them all. I have a explosive signs on the door And my window To warn people and the FD just in case. My main go to rifle is my 260 Remington. What do I use it for? Hunting!!! Deer,Hog, Elk Moose, Coyote. I take a 7 Mag as a back up. Sometimes I just like to shoot it. I took a 290# hog at 997 Yards with my 260 Rem and 140 grain Berger bullets. Killed a cow elk at I do believe just under 900 yards With that same 260 Rem. I have taken so many animals with that gun there is no way I can keep up with its statistics. Build what you want, hunt smart and above all shoot straight. If you See sky in the glass of your scope then don't pull the trigger. Oh yeah the 6.5 Sherman is still better. LoL. During the typing of this post there was no animal or humans killed, but there may be a few hurt feelings. So if you must, please feel out a Hurt Feelings Report and send it in to PO Box 187 Who gives a **** in care of I don't give a ****.

I work for a Gas Distribution company. For some reason we don't have to follow hours worked Because of we have to keep the public safe. My longest shift was, I went to work on a Thursday morning at 7:00 AM and got off work at 11:30 AM Saturday morning. So 52.5 hours straight.

Here we go again. 26 Nosler is better than the Sherman, the 6.5 CM is better than the 260 Rem because we have this all new Magical R26 powder The 28 Nosler is the the fastest 7 MM, even though the 7 RUM smokes it. You must have a 300 Win Mag to kill elk and larger, 300 Win Mag is better than a 7 Rem Mag. When does it end? I mean my god is this a long range hunting site or is it a soap opera. If you thank your 26 Nosler is better then shoot it. If you thank your 6.5 CM is better good for you have a cookie. If you thank a 28 Nosler is better than by all means get one. I can not tell you how many guns I have. I have a 3 bedroom house and one of the rooms I use for a gun room. I'm not rich by any means. I like guns what can I say. I reload for them all. I have a explosive signs on the door And my window To warn people and the FD just in case. My main go to rifle is my 260 Remington. What do I use it for? Hunting!!! Deer,Hog, Elk Moose, Coyote. I take a 7 Mag as a back up. Sometimes I just like to shoot it. I took a 290# hog at 997 Yards with my 260 Rem and 140 grain Berger bullets. Killed a cow elk at I do believe just under 900 yards With that same 260 Rem. I have taken so many animals with that gun there is no way I can keep up with its statistics. Build what you want, hunt smart and above all shoot straight. If you See sky in the glass of your scope then don't pull the trigger. Oh yeah the 6.5 Sherman is still better. LoL. During the typing of this post there was no animal or humans killed, but there may be a few hurt feelings. So if you must, please feel out a Hurt Feelings Report and send it in to PO Box 187 Who gives a **** in care of I don't give a ****.
Just so you know, I designed the 6.5 Sherman, and in my opinion, it is better, all around. Im usually defending the other direction from naysayers😁
But, loaded equally, the Nosler
I agree the Sherman is better! I designed it😁
Faster......??
I also agree that everybody needs to shoot whatever they want.
Ford vs Chevy🙂

I work for a Gas Distribution company. For some reason we don't have to follow hours worked Because of we have to keep the public safe. My longest shift was, I went to work on a Thursday morning at 7:00 AM and got off work at 11:30 AM Saturday morning. So 52.5 hours straight.

That still wont make the 6.5 Sherman out run the 26 Nosler. Just joking around!! o_O

Just so you know, I designed the 6.5 Sherman, and in my opinion, it is better, all around. Im usually defending the other direction from naysayers😁
But, loaded equally, the Nosler

I agree the Sherman is better! I designed it😁
Faster......??
I also agree that everybody needs to shoot whatever they want.
Ford vs Chevy🙂
What is the difference in velocity from a 280 Sherman compared to a 280 Ackley improved, with the same bullet, powder charge and primer.

Tickled with my 280AI, shoots 150 grain accubonds extremely accurate and fast. Don't need much larger bullets in my neck of the woods so i'm thrilled with the 150's. I have bigger 7's with heavier loads.

6.5's lots of options - PRC is a good choice and when the election is over maybe bullets and brass will be easily available! :) Happy hunting;
Was your 150 Accubonds factory Nosler or did you load them? If you loaded them, what brass did you use? Thanks

What is the difference in velocity from a 280 Sherman compared to a 280 Ackley improved, with the same bullet, powder charge and primer.
Why would you use the same powder charge? The 280 Sherman has slightly more case capacity than the Ackley, so you could push the same bullet at a higher velocity with the Sherman.

Edit to add: That's an honest question- I'm not giving you grief I was just curious why you would want to limit the capacity on the Sherman to that of the Ackley.

Why would you use the same powder charge? The 280 Sherman has slightly more case capacity than the Ackley, so you could push the same bullet at a higher velocity with the Sherman.

Edit to add: That's an honest question- I'm not giving you grief I was just curious why you would want to limit the capacity on the Sherman to that of the Ackley.
Good point. I misread as same powder not "Same charge"!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.