6.5 PRC

Nice set ups. Here is my short range rig...
View attachment 328153
D06FFD81-7576-4158-9258-7BEB9E148719.jpeg

This is mine - only had it since the end of october. I am really excited about it.

There's an argument that it's enough cartridge to kill an elk at long range because it technically is. Better hit it perfect and hopefully he's in an area he can run several hundred yards before expiring and still be recovered.

As hunters it isn't our job to tell other hunters what to do or how to do it. We're all on the same team and should not be divided so easily.
We are on the same team, therefore………..
Yet, we have to police ourselves in discouraging excesses. Highly trained military snipers agree that much can and often does goes wrong with long range shots, due to unknown variables down range. In warfare, wounding is a desirable option, tying up enemy resources. In hunting it should not. Many descriptions of multiple shots, gut shots, broken legs, ham shots, game never being recovered. Besides, unless a snowpack is there, how on earth are you going to find the precise location where you wounded an animal, in order to track it down? Yes 100- 300 yard shooters also wound animals, however follow up shots are more likely to hit and finding the animal made a lot easier. Long range shooting, which I admire,should not detoriate in warfare by wannabbee snipers. More respect for the animals is needed. It is one thing to shoot on a nice controlled range with wind flags, it is quite another to shoot under field conditions. No doubts many posters are fine range shots, I doubt as many have the same field abilities, experience and self control, to correct mistakes in long range hunting. The motto, doing something cuz you can, is not applicable here. Incidentally in the NRA publication I believe "Successful hunter", 3 or4 of US best snipers who also hunted were asked about the hunting distances they felt comfortable with, most stuck to the 300-400 max range with one choosing I believe 500-600 max. The article appeared in the last 3-4 years. This must mean something.

We are on the same team, therefore………..
Yet, we have to police ourselves in discouraging excesses. Highly trained military snipers agree that much can and often does goes wrong with long range shots, due to unknown variables down range. In warfare, wounding is a desirable option, tying up enemy resources. In hunting it should not. Many descriptions of multiple shots, gut shots, broken legs, ham shots, game never being recovered. Besides, unless a snowpack is there, how on earth are you going to find the precise location where you wounded an animal, in order to track it down? Yes 100- 300 yard shooters also wound animals, however follow up shots are more likely to hit and finding the animal made a lot easier. Long range shooting, which I admire,should not detoriate in warfare by wannabbee snipers. More respect for the animals is needed. It is one thing to shoot on a nice controlled range with wind flags, it is quite another to shoot under field conditions. No doubts many posters are fine range shots, I doubt as many have the same field abilities, experience and self control, to correct mistakes in long range hunting. The motto, doing something cuz you can, is not applicable here. Incidentally in the NRA publication I believe "Successful hunter", 3 or4 of US best snipers who also hunted were asked about the hunting distances they felt comfortable with, most stuck to the 300-400 max range with one choosing I believe 500-600 max. The article appeared in the last 3-4 years. This must mean something.
I think you should look at the sniper challenges since this is the road you wish to travel. Often the top teams in the challenges are civilians and national guardsmen, who all shoot on their own dime. Just kind of a fun thing to look into. Snipers are not magical. Hollywood has made them appear to be more than they are. For those us who served in the military and attended specialty schools we have a sense of pride and accomplishment but most also know that our best experiences come from individual development outside the confines of SOP. Those who do train in the field, many of us here, the process is for 1st round impacts on kill zone targets. This is generally 10" or less. I rarely see anyone here claiming kentucky windage and multiple shots as being acceptable precision shooting. I do see people policing this thought process often. Many are asking questions, learning, applying that in practice, and being successful. Now, as a guide and outfitter I have seen so many sh!t shows with hunters at close range it's mind blowing. It is rare to see that same show with a guy who comes in with precision long range gear and knowledge but it does happen. I have instructed and co-instructed several long range hunting course that address wind reading, positional shooting, terminal and external ballistics, and of course the fundamentals of precision shooting. This course is designed to help people understand their limitations in field conditions. Now, that is the part that no one can should be allowed to judge. Just because you or I cannot make a particular shot with 90% or better confidence sure does not mean that Joe over there cannot as well. His skill set may be superior to ours. It is actually quite refreshing how many people I've met who shoot long range put in the time and self imposed limits on shot ranges. They do so for all the reasons you state, depending on the conditions etc in which they are in. A 500 yard range is generally a chip shot for most here. Add 20-30 mph winds, an unsteady rest, a moving animal, and that may very well be way outside a comfortable zone. I think people in here police themselves quite well.

6.5 PRC is a well respected round, especially with heavier bullets! Have you guys seen much about the 6.5 in 270WSM cases yet? They are winning at the 1K competitions now! Maybe factory ammo coming!

Mine is a pistol as well.
6.5 PRC is a well respected round, especially with heavier bullets! Have you guys seen much about the 6.5 in 270WSM cases yet? They are winning at the 1K competitions now! Maybe factory ammo coming!

Many attempts to revive the WSM case market have been made usually resulting in failure.

I would not gamble on this round becoming standardized much less popular enough to enjoy strong factory support from firearms and ammo manufacturers.'

The 300wsm is the only one still showing much if the way in life. Even those remain primarily a niche cartridge though with a very small following compared to the newer non belted magnums and the CM and 6.5PRC.

Lot's of fads have come and gone in the BR and other LD shooting disciplines, few gain much traction outside of those disciplines and tend to fade out over a decade or so right back to a small niche market.

What's the specs on that sweet little setup?!?
It's a tc pro hunter with mcm barrel in 6 creed. Tbac brake for a dominus suppressor. Leupold vx5. Folding brace in case I need a brace supported shot….. I have a 204 barrel too. Ther 204 is wicked. 15" barrel is a yote smoker. 3400 fps with a 39.

It's a tc pro hunter with mcm barrel in 6 creed. Tbac brake for a dominus suppressor. Leupold vx5. Folding brace in case I need a brace supported shot….. I have a 204 barrel too. Ther 204 is wicked. 15" barrel is a yote smoker. 3400 fps with a 39.
Any idea how much it weighs?

Many attempts to revive the WSM case market have been made usually resulting in failure.

I would not gamble on this round becoming standardized much less popular enough to enjoy strong factory support from firearms and ammo manufacturers.'

The 300wsm is the only one still showing much if the way in life. Even those remain primarily a niche cartridge though with a very small following compared to the newer non belted magnums and the CM and 6.5PRC.

Lot's of fads have come and gone in the BR and other LD shooting disciplines, few gain much traction outside of those disciplines and tend to fade out over a decade or so right back to a small niche market.
I don't know about that the 300 wsm is pretty dang popular.
Wsms are the most accurate and easily tunable cartridges I've owned, all 3 calibers.
ADG is about to release 300 wsm brass in February, I've already had a 7-300 wsm improved wildcat reamer designed and should get my barrel in a few weeks.

The prc will obviously remain more popular given the massive marketing campaign