6.5 prc elk bullets

I'm a big fan of the Swift Scirocco bullets, especially with high impact velocities.
I was to until I had 3 separate occasions where they did really squirrely things taking up to 90 deg turns on impact, one of which almost got me killed since it was a very big, and after being hit very angry blue wildebeest.

That ended my love affair with the Sicrocco II and I haven't shot them since.

I was to until I had 3 separate occasions where they did really squirrely things taking up to 90 deg turns on impact, one of which almost got me killed since it was a very big, and after being hit very angry blue wildebeest.

That ended my love affair with the Sicrocco II and I haven't shot them since.
Thats really interesting. Thats the first I've ever heard of that. Straight line penetration is one thing I often quote about them.
What cartridge were you using outbof curiosity?
What have you switched to?

Thats really interesting. Thats the first I've ever heard of that. Straight line penetration is one thing I often quote about them.
What cartridge were you using outbof curiosity?
What have you switched to?
.260 Rem, 300wm, 300Rum.

I poopooed the criticisms I'd seen of them online but those three, especially the final one in Africa convinced me they were too soft.

I've done a good number of elk with a 6.5 SS with a 140 Berger out into he 800 yard range, I don't know if the added recoil would be needed to go to the 156 but shoot what you got, the 156 wrecks their will to live rather effectively also. You couldn't pay me to shoot a bonded bullet, Hammer mono would be an option also that I'm please to let fly on an elk.
Can you tell me why you wouldn't shoot a bonded bullet. I am going on a Red Stag/Tahr hunt in March in New Zealand and am currnetly shooting the 140 grain Accubond in my 6.5 PRC. Is there something I should know about in regards to bonded bullets?

.260 Rem, 300wm, 300Rum.

I poopooed the criticisms I'd seen of them online but those three, especially the final one in Africa convinced me they were too soft.
Were those Scirocco I. Or the II version? I've only used the II version and have over 200 kills with them, but I'm all ears and want to learn of others experiences.

Were those Scirocco I. Or the II version? I've only used the II version and have over 200 kills with them, but I'm all ears and want to learn of others experiences.
II's. I have even more kills with them where they performed flawlessly but those three, especially the last one turned me off of them permanently.

II's. I have even more kills with them where they performed flawlessly but those three, especially the last one turned me off of them permanently.
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the time. Good information to know. I've had deflections with numerous cup and cores, but not the swift. I better keep an eye on it.
What is your replacement bullet of choice? There are getting to be more and more lathe turned solid copper out there. Some of those look pretty good too.

We've caught a couple, one in an elk I hit running on a hard quarter dead through the center of the shoulder, wrecking the whole front of her chest cavity and ending up half way up her neck on the of side. The other two were a frontal shot on an Alaskan bull moose that we found in the back flank and on the same moose on the of side of the neck after smashing through it.
The 140 Berger is in my top 5 for best hunting bullets I've seen!
I only saw/used the Berger on 7 deer...the results convinced me to use bonded and monolithic bullets on elk. I wish I had better results with the Berger...I killed my 2 elk this season with the ELDX and it reminded me of the Berger results. I definitely favor the Partitions, Accubonds and Barnes TTSX results more. I will continue to test, as my ELDX results on my deer were favorable.

I only saw/used the Berger on 7 deer...the results convinced me to use bonded and monolithic bullets on elk. I wish I had better results with the Berger...I killed my 2 elk this season with the ELDX and it reminded me of the Berger results. I definitely favor the Partitions, Accubonds and Barnes TTSX results more. I will continue to test, as my ELDX results on my deer were favorable.
As favorably as I generally view the ALR they do not perform well in high velocity impacts as they're just too soft.

Keep impact velocities between about 1,600-2400fps and they'll perform quite favorably.

Bullets designed for optimal performance at long range simply don't do well at close range.

There are no magic bullets, if you're lucky though they'll perform within design limits as long as you stay within the recommended impact velocities.

Last edited:
Hammers or Bergers for under 500 yards. If you were talking farther I would say 156gr Berger or something in the 140gr class Berger.

Can you tell me why you wouldn't shoot a bonded bullet. I am going on a Red Stag/Tahr hunt in March in New Zealand and am currnetly shooting the 140 grain Accubond in my 6.5 PRC. Is there something I should know about in regards to bonded bullets?
They can be decent but I've seen 140 Accubonds barely open at a 2200 fps impact on a deer, and that's recovering bullets from the marsh behind them then but then put one into the shoulder of an elk and they make a horrible mess or stop cold, you have to keep impacts north of 2200 fps. I just see better more consistent results over numbers of animals with other bullet.

Put them right behind the shoulder and watch'em drop. These bullets are not bone crushers. The wreck havoc on the vitals turning them into one gelatin mass.
I got Penetration thru, the upper end of, both Shoulder Blades and, a complete Exit of, the bullet's, "Base" on an Elk @ 115 yards.
They are Harder than, you'd think with, 7 or 8 "Fragments" contained it Diaphram and scrambling the Vitals, W/ MINIMAL "Blood shot" area
( maybe 2" dia ) using, a .277 dia 140 grain Classic Hunter @ 3,180 FPS from, my .270 WSM Ka-Pow,.. Hooves, in Air !
Bigngreen WAS,.. Right, a very, GOOD, Bullet !!