6.5 prc elk bullet poll!

What elk bullet?

• Total voters
What's your point? I'd hope that any bullet, even a FMJ would kill an elk with a decently placed shot. I'd love to see the ballistics at over 600 on said shots, I bet it wasn't pretty. The fact of the matter is, there's no good reason to use a hammer or any other mono bullet unless you're forced by the government. If you want penetration, pick an accubond or partition, if you want something that creates a big wound channel, pick an eldm or berger hybrid.

I guess if you want terrible bc's, caliber size entrances and exits (that's what happens when a bullet sheds all its petals), crappy long range performance, crappy wind bucking ability, and to support a guy that partners with those trying to ban lead bullets, then hammer away!

I hope you're getting some free bullets or a sweatshirt to keep pimping this product on every post on LRH. It feels like you're interviewing to be the next sham-wow spokesman.
I wonder if he could get me some of that hair in a can. I'm getting pretty thin on top.

What's your point? I'd hope that any bullet, even a FMJ would kill an elk with a decently placed shot. I'd love to see the ballistics at over 600 on said shots, I bet it wasn't pretty. The fact of the matter is, there's no good reason to use a hammer or any other mono bullet unless you're forced by the government. If you want penetration, pick an accubond or partition, if you want something that creates a big wound channel, pick an eldm or berger hybrid.

I guess if you want terrible bc's, caliber size entrances and exits (that's what happens when a bullet sheds all its petals), crappy long range performance, crappy wind bucking ability, and to support a guy that partners with those trying to ban lead bullets, then hammer away!

I hope you're getting some free bullets or a sweatshirt to keep pumping this product on every post on LRH. It feels like you're interviewing to be the next sham-wow spokesman.
Good grief man….he's got just as much right to share positive experiences as you do negative ones. Relaying three positive experiences hardly makes him a sell out or a salesman!

I had a great experience with hammer bullets this last hunting season too, and during load development they were a pleasure to work with and my gun likes them (.257 wby).

I also have had great experiences with hornady eld m bullets in my 300 winny, and find their basic interlock bullets an excellent safe bet bread and butter bullet in my .270 win and .358 Norma.

I've had good results with the Nosler ballistic tip, though lately I've found anything "Nosler" to be overpriced for what it is. The same guys that trash monos for being expensive then go and say "accubond" or "partition" as the answer to literally any hunting question. But i certainly don't deny that those bullets have a great reputation for a reason.

The federal trophy bonded tip is as close to perfect as it gets in my book.

Swift A Frames just plain STOMP things that need stomping!

I've worked with Barnes, sierra, ppu, and others, they all work within their design parameters.

Wooodleigh bullets are awesome! Glad they're up and at it after that horrible fire, I've corresponded with Geoff personally to let him know that if and when they get making that 310 grain .358 round nose I'll have my wallet out ready to buy some 😁

chinchaga bullets out of Alberta Canada are something interesting to me as well, the lack of a website to shop online is a bit of a sticking point for many but Dale, the owner, can be talked to about his products directly and is a down to earth guy to talk to. I appreciate that even though they make long and ultra heavy tipped and hollow point rebated boat tail bullets, they've never posted unbelievable out-to-lunch ballistic coefficients to get attention or make sales. Honest people making an honest product that works.

Hammer bullets really are pretty special in some regards I think, I like 'em! I don't think they're the one right answer to every question, BUT I'll plainly disagree with any assertion that there is no benefit to monos and no reason to use them besides government regulation. That just isn't my experience.

You can no doubt find fault with and negative reviews of any bullet, and same with positives.

For myself, I've said it before and I'll say it again, my favourite bullet companies right now are hammer bullets of USA, chinchaga bullets of Canada, and Woodleigh of Australia. These are all independently owned family-run companies with owners I've messaged and found helpful and straightforward to discuss things with. And I wish them all the best in the future and plan to keep giving them my business in the years ahead.

None of these companies have paid me to advertise anything or given me free stuff, and I don't want them to.

Also I want to express my appreciation to Hornady for having product available in my neck of the woods when everything else dries up, and not price gouging anywhere close to some of their competitors (cough *nosler* cough cough) based on demand and inflation and bla bla bla….

As well as Sierra. I've emailed Sierra with questions about twist rate and NO ONE has ever gotten back to me as fast as they have! Good customer support

Good grief man….he's got just as much right to share positive experiences as you do negative ones. Relaying three positive experiences hardly makes him a sell out or a salesman!

I had a great experience with hammer bullets this last hunting season too, and during load development they were a pleasure to work with and my gun likes them (.257 wby).

I also have had great experiences with hornady eld m bullets in my 300 winny, and find their basic interlock bullets an excellent safe bet bread and butter bullet in my .270 win and .358 Norma.

I've had good results with the Nosler ballistic tip, though lately I've found anything "Nosler" to be overpriced for what it is. The same guys that trash monos for being expensive then go and say "accubond" or "partition" as the answer to literally any hunting question. But i certainly don't deny that those bullets have a great reputation for a reason.

The federal trophy bonded tip is as close to perfect as it gets in my book.

Swift A Frames just plain STOMP things that need stomping!

I've worked with Barnes, sierra, ppu, and others, they all work within their design parameters.

Wooodleigh bullets are awesome! Glad they're up and at it after that horrible fire, I've corresponded with Geoff personally to let him know that if and when they get making that 310 grain .358 round nose I'll have my wallet out ready to buy some 😁

chinchaga bullets out of Alberta Canada are something interesting to me as well, the lack of a website to shop online is a bit of a sticking point for many but Dale, the owner, can be talked to about his products directly and is a down to earth guy to talk to. I appreciate that even though they make long and ultra heavy tipped and hollow point rebated boat tail bullets, they've never posted unbelievable out-to-lunch ballistic coefficients to get attention or make sales. Honest people making an honest product that works.

Hammer bullets really are pretty special in some regards I think, I like 'em! I don't think they're the one right answer to every question, BUT I'll plainly disagree with any assertion that there is no benefit to monos and no reason to use them besides government regulation. That just isn't my experience.

You can no doubt find fault with and negative reviews of any bullet, and same with positives.

For myself, I've said it before and I'll say it again, my favourite bullet companies right now are hammer bullets of USA, chinchaga bullets of Canada, and Woodleigh of Australia. These are all independently owned family-run companies with owners I've messaged and found helpful and straightforward to discuss things with. And I wish them all the best in the future and plan to keep giving them my business in the years ahead.

None of these companies have paid me to advertise anything or given me free stuff, and I don't want them to.
He's welcome to, but he also doesn't need to quote my post to do it. He's shared his experience on every bullet thread on LRH it seems. Nobody is telling him he can't…

He's welcome to, but he also doesn't need to quote my post to do it. He's shared his experience on every bullet thread on LRH it seems. Nobody is telling him he can't…
Alright. I do know I've gotten into the odd argument with the hammer people before, they do have a unique brand of "enthusiasm". But when I've got past that I've been genuinely impressed with product itself. Carry on 😁

I hope you're getting some free bullets or a sweatshirt to keep pimping this product on every post on LRH. It feels like you're interviewing to be the next sham-wow spokesman.
The point is you do t have to use them. It's obvious every time it come up you don't like them. That fine. We have lots of good bullets. But as I argue all the time I run each bullet out to manufacturer min fps for opening. That's my max distance.
Second I don't get anything from them for free. If you followed my stuff for any time I use and have used many I just found hammers to be the best hunting bullet I've used .
So when I loaded the 147 eld which is my target round. The min gps for expansion based on manufacture min. They were within 30 yards on my personal rifle.
So for me I felt better about a mono up close than a cup core. Kill some African game and you will see why the partition was so popular.

Now I take an average of 100 big game animals a year. Over that amount I've found very good success with hammers and cutting edge.
I used to use other like eld and Berger I just felt for my hunting I had better results with hammers than the rest.

So I will continue to give my opinion when asked and you do the same. Because I can't see the difference of me saying I like them on every thread when they are brought up and you saying you hate them. Go pump your Berger or Hornady. Doesn't bother me a bit. I spend my money how and on what I want and you are free to do the same.

I did that as a counter point. And if you post that we all know but maybe you could share more with the op than I wouldn't use them after what I saw.

The point is you do t have to use them. It's obvious every time it come up you don't like them. That fine. We have lots of good bullets. But as I argue all the time I run each bullet out to manufacturer min fps for opening. That's my max distance.
Second I don't get anything from them for free. If you followed my stuff for any time I use and have used many I just found hammers to be the best hunting bullet I've used .
So when I loaded the 147 eld which is my target round. The min gps for expansion based on manufacture min. They were within 30 yards on my personal rifle.
So for me I felt better about a mono up close than a cup core. Kill some African game and you will see why the partition was so popular.

Now I take an average of 100 big game animals a year. Over that amount I've found very good success with hammers and cutting edge.
I used to use other like eld and Berger I just felt for my hunting I had better results with hammers than the rest.

So I will continue to give my opinion when asked and you do the same. Because I can't see the difference of me saying I like them on every thread when they are brought up and you saying you hate them. Go pump your Berger or Hornady. Doesn't bother me a bit. I spend my money how and on what I want and you are free to do the same.
100 big game animals a year. Hmm…

As for the data on said shot. Here is mine Now keep in mind I gained no meaningful amount of distance with the 147gr. I I chose the bullet that worked better for me in my rifle and shot good. The eld may have got me 30 more yards but also could have a hard time on an elk shoulder at 30 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_4114.png
    IMG_4114.png
    56.9 KB · Views: 37
100 big game animals a year. Hmm…
Maybe word that better. That's a lot of white tail, hogs, then it thins down to audad, elk and other types of deer. I am very lucky to be able to hunt a lot and the opportunity to cull helps with those. So maybe you don't count deer and pigs but I wasn't sure how to make sure they were not varmits
Here is one 5 day trip and this was not even close to everything

Attachments

• IMG_2391.jpeg
    IMG_2391.jpeg
    405.9 KB · Views: 55

Recent Posts