• Cutting edge

• Hammer

• Hornady

• Nosler

• Sierra

• Remington

• Winchester

Results are only viewable after voting.
I get that absent parameters, guys will/can make it whatever they want. Maybe that's where some fault may lie. I mean I have a buddy who's ability makes 200 yards seem long, and he shoots deer with a 7mm RemMag. And then Len says it has to be over 1000 to be in his ELR section with no caliber/cartridge restrictions, game involved, or shooter ability (well kinda). So if my buddy was reading this site, 200-1000 yards would be his definition of long range. So if my buddy shot a deer at 250 yards, could he call himself a long range hunter? If a boundary for ELR can be established on this site, maybe others could be set.
Just me thinking out loud guys, so don't get bent out of shape and think I'm finger pointing at anyone.

Interesting to see the California hunters choosing Barnes and Hammers -- obviously because they're lead-free.

Whatcha gonna do when CA decides Cu is the second most dangerous element after lead for condors and other endangered species? Cause we all know, CA is just looking for ways to making shooting and hunting difficult. Next thing you know, they'll decree that only silver bullets are safe in CA! Hi-ho-Silver! The Lone Ranger rides again!

Been using NOSLER'S Partition- AccuBond's - Silvertip's- Ballistic Tip's for as long as I can remember along with there solid's, for the long gun's. From the smallest varmint up to the ELK- Moose - Goat's- Bear's.
Guess it does not matter which one's one pick's as long as it does the job for you !!!! and happy with the results.
Good hunting and shoot often- it's bullet placement after all.

Last edited:
I get that absent parameters, guys will/can make it whatever they want. Maybe that's where some fault may lie. I mean I have a buddy who's ability makes 200 yards seem long, and he shoots deer with a 7mm RemMag. And then Len says it has to be over 1000 to be in his ELR section with no caliber/cartridge restrictions, game involved, or shooter ability (well kinda). So if my buddy was reading this site, 200-1000 yards would be his definition of long range. So if my buddy shot a deer at 250 yards, could he call himself a long range hunter? If a boundary for ELR can be established on this site, maybe others could be set.
Just me thinking out loud guys, so don't get bent out of shape and think I'm finger pointing at anyone.
I think there is a difference between what the individual shooter perceives or "self-defines" as long range to be based on his particular skill level, hunting environment, or choice of rifle or equipment. That is totally fine for aspiration purposes. We were all there at one time. I believe we have well established on this site that 600-1000 yards is long range. As Bravo 4 points out, +1000 yards is considered ELR. In a world where we are continually seeing standards being eroded in order to accommodate limiting factors or inadequacy, I personally think what we have defined as "Long Range" should not be degraded……..If anything, perhaps over time it should be lifted due to progress. IMO

Last edited:
Interesting topic. ...it's fun to read all opinions. As a former slug hunter for deer here in iowa because it was our only option i remember when we couldn't use rifled barrels for slugs. Then they became legal. Wow.....we cold shoot past 100 yds. Then we put scopes on the shotgun....with Remington copper solids we could shoot out to 250. Talk about fun. I still know tons of guys who only use a 30" barrel with 2 bb on it as sights and think 100 is long range. It all depends on the individual....for sure. We now get to use 35 cal rifles here. The 35 whelen has become my dream rifle here. But my 1982 model 94AE 356 has been dusted off and has killed one last year. So after my wife and I killed 2 bulls in Colorado with hammers last year my mind wanders.....how good can these 2- 35 cal beauties work with hammer bullets. It's another rabbit hole I've gotten in.....lol. For a **** deer that i used to only shoot at 100 yds.....maybe. Just a thought.... does berger have any plans to make a 35 cal bullets so i can shoot to 600? Man ..... I can only dream. I will say ...i did take my 870 shot gun out and killed a 5x5 bull in Colorado once with a copper solid at 88 yds. Pretty cool. 1 shot, through the shoulders, straight to the ground.
I ask our guide last year what bullets he liked to see his clients use....he said "the deadliest mushroom in the woods". Works every time. However.....the hammers were impressive to him. He now is playing with them.....another rabbit hole. Lol

Recent Posts