6.5 prc elk bullet poll!

What elk bullet?

• Total voters
Seems some good bullets missing from list?Ispend a lot of time in bear country, anyone with experience with the BD 125, shot some stuff with the 147 eldm, this isn't my elk rifle

Don't have a dog in this fight for elk but in my 26" 4 groove 1-7 barreled rifle I had issues with the 147 eldm's blowing up after the barrel warms(4-5 shots)…..normally not an issue hunting but it tells me I'm on the threshold of having to many rpms on them, so I opted not to use them on game, they shot great otherwise from 100y-1083y.

Not a hammer fan but I shoot the bd2's and have had good results so far on deer and steel. The bd2 mono divots the steel at 650y going 3217 ish.

The berger eol 156 have done good for me as well, I'd like more kills with them but they always shoot good and at 650y going 2937fps, they punch holes in my homemade 3/8" thick grader blade target and smack with authority.

If I was hunting for elk, I definitely would have a bigger gun for it but if I'm strictly limited to the 6.5prc, I would have to limit its range(500y) and I would use a mono option first and foremost I believe (Badlands, Barnes, Maker, hammer). Then my second choice would be for a bonded bullet like the regular accubond or ABLR(if they shoot good in said rifle), fed terminal ascent, then go to the regular cup and cores, ie the berger elite hunters or eol, eldm, a-tip.

If you kill animals or hunt long enough you will find out the hard way why you shouldn't use target bullets for your bullet of choice . Experience is the best teacher.Bottom line choose a bullet designed too kill animals , not targets.
The same can honestly be said about bullets designed to kill game. I've seen bullets designed to kill game fail to work properly. Sometimes **** just happens, and sometimes game animals just simply have a desire to live and make everything go downhill fast.

I have had good results with the Berger 156 shoot 3/4 inch at 200 yds. But it looks like Hammer 124 are winning this pole. I have not loaded the Hammer bullets but it looks like the 131 would be a better choice if you are shooting a 6.5 PRC with 1:7.5 twist. I am always trying to improve my mouse trap so was think I would load a few and see how they shoot. Any one will to share load data with these two Hammers?
Follow up. I tried the Hammer 131 but could never get them to group to my liking. I went with the 156 gr Berger's loaded over H1000, 2950 fps out of 6.5 PRC. 5 shots through one hole at 100yds.. I think bullet placement is key to killing game. Killed large cow at 320yds. DRT.

Personally, I wouldn't let anyone sway me from using a bullet. Find a load for it and put it where it needs to go and the animal will die. Will there be failures? You bet, with any bullet. Will there be lies about where they hit the animal? You bet! Pick your bullet for the right application and test it out yourself.

3 were 3 for 3 with the 6.5 creedmore and the hammers on elk. All one shot kills. One at 400 and two at just over 600.
What's your point? I'd hope that any bullet, even a FMJ would kill an elk with a decently placed shot. I'd love to see the ballistics at over 600 on said shots, I bet it wasn't pretty. The fact of the matter is, there's no good reason to use a hammer or any other mono bullet unless you're forced by the government. If you want penetration, pick an accubond or partition, if you want something that creates a big wound channel, pick an eldm or berger hybrid.

I guess if you want terrible bc's, caliber size entrances and exits (that's what happens when a bullet sheds all its petals), crappy long range performance, crappy wind bucking ability, and to support a guy that partners with those trying to ban lead bullets, then hammer away!

I hope you're getting some free bullets or a sweatshirt to keep pimping this product on every post on LRH. It feels like you're interviewing to be the next sham-wow spokesman.

Last edited: