• Cutting edge

• Hammer

• Hornady

• Nosler

• Sierra

• Remington

• Winchester

Results are only viewable after voting.
Over the years I've taken most of my whitetails with A-Max bullets. Despite the controversy, they work great on easy-to-kill whitetails. From 7mm - 338 I've had excellent results with Accubonds. Easy to tune and perfect terminal performance on everything up to bull moose.

Lately, I've been riding the Hammer wave. They are accurate and deadly. The only issue I have is that they cost more than cup & core bullets. For hunting, that doesn't matter but If you shoot a lot you will be playing with other bullets.

Are Hammers worth their cost? Yup - but certainly not for shooting paper. LOL

Last edited:
I choice of bullets reflect the fact that my "long range" varies considerably from most on this forum!

My choices do not have the quite high BC's of some other bullets and require a bit more impact velocity to get reliable, full expansion…. Which is fine as I have a shorter range than many, at which I will shoot a game animal! But, that's just me! memtb

Man, I don't even know what to vote on. I've killed many animals but I've used many different combinations. I've taken 2 elk, one with a Berger, (shot him 3 times) thought I somehow managed to miss the first 2, only to find out I stacked them right in the boiler room, He was just dead on his feet and dropped in his tracks. (300 yards). Second elk, roughly 80-90 yards, hammer 196. Shot him 1 time, he stood just like the first one with bergers, but this time my brain wasn't working and I forgot to "keep shooting" after about 3 second I realized I should shoot again he ran….. about 50 yards downhill and died. I imagine I could have shot both animals with either bullet and got the same result. This year, I'm going to be taking out some badlands bullets, it's just really hard to ignore the BC… but hammers will be in my backup rifle.

For LR hunting purposes, of the bullets in the list, the Berger's have been my top choice for the past dozen years. The combination of high BC's with excellent consistency are my primary criteria. Even given the Berger "hunting" nomenclature, not all have performed well in terms of their performance on game and do need to be tested. Not listed, but my most used bullets for LR hunting with my 6.5x284's has been the JLK VLD 140/142 which I had acquired a large supply prior to passing of Steve Mulholland, Swampworks. Very similar to the 140 HVLD Berger's in design(J4 jacket), the JLK had a higher BC(.323vs.307), with superb consistency, and performance on game. I just recently found out that the JLK brand and operation was bought by a new owner(Ed Faber) back in 2020. I have not yet tried the current offerings but I understand that Ed is making a very strong effort to replicate the original JLK offerings.

What's your favorite hunting bullet for long range?
What do you like about it?
In 45 years of hunting and taking animals from deer to elk, I believe I've found the (as close to perfect) hunting bullet ever made in Hammers. I'll always let the conditions dictate the range and I get a soft cup and core bullet at extended range can have its advantages. I also get the fact that there are good folks on here who are proficient at those extended ranges and my hats off to all of them. For example, in perfect conditions, I'll comfortably take an elk out to 900 with a 181 HH out of a 30-378 and be confident it bullet will do its job as long as I do the same. I shoot often to that distance and well beyond. I could extend that distance by a couple of hundred yards with a cup and core bullet, but I feel from my experience, I would be taking a risk of loosing an animal in the short to midrange shots in which percentage wise in 45 years have been the vast majority of the animals I've taken.

For long range hunting my favorite has been (gasp-gasp 😲) the 300 grain Sierra Matchking. Every animal I have shot with one has died in a dramatic fashion very quickly, from very close to very-very far. Very accurate, high BC, and been devastating on game. I will admit it is the only matchking I like for hunting, though a good buddy uses the 250's a lot with similar results.
My favorite all around hunting bullet out to moderate ranges is Hammer bullets. Loading them for a couple buddies and myself and we've had nothing but great results in on game.

Surprisingly no mention of Sierra..........anybody know where their products are?........and are they not that great a hunting bullet?