favorite long range hunting bullet?

anyone ever try the Berger VLD bullets? I used to shoot them in my 7mm rem sendero. these were the most accurate I had ever shot in that rifle. Haven't tried them in my 300rum yet.

I have had good results from 200 gr Accubonds out of my 300wby - it also likes 180gr XBT XLC - it shoots the Barnes .4 to .5 MOA, the accubond is more in the .3 range. I think the Accubond could do even better - I just am not sure if I can!

Both the Barnes x-bullets and the Nosler Accubonds are excellent bullets. But at extended ranges, there might not be enough energy to reliably expand either of those and they would end up being like a solid projectile. On the other hand, the match kings that may ordinarily disintigrate at close ranges would mushroom reliably once the energy levels drop at extended range.

You should really just run your balistics program with your load. Once you drop below say (1800 ft-lbs)? at 'y' distance for your xbt's or accubonds, then that should be your limit for those bullets. After that distance, use your match kings.

Ronnie

I have been using the 190 gr Match King, moly coated by me, in my .300WSM for about a year. Current load is 68.5 gr RL22 for avmv 2964 fps. No disappointments. Field dressing showed evidence of good expansion in all cases but initial expansion seems to be somewhat slow at closer ranges, the opposite of what should be expected. Perhaps the hv impact closes the nose?

The SMK190 from my WSM has accounted for 10 whitetails in my and two other hunter's hands. I have also taken feral hogs, stray house cats, coyotes, crows, armidillos, possoms, racoons, game chasing wild dogs, and other nuisance animals. Ranges have been < 60 yds to almost 700 yds. All animals were taken with one bullet each. Only one failure to exit, on a hog facing directly toward me at about 65 yds, but I could not recover the bullet because of the smell of the busted guts.

A number of years ago I did have two 190 gr HPBTs fail to exit on broadside whitetails from my old .300WinMag. These could have been either Sierra or Hornady. For all you youngsters, Hornady once made 190gr HPBTs. Most important aspect is that both were instant kills, but because of that experience I asked for lots of advice and personal experience from others before initailly using the SMK on feral hogs that would no longer allow an approach to "normal" range.

[ 03-31-2004: Message edited by: RuffHewn ]

Dr. John,
I use the 180 Bergers in mt 7mm RUM and they do beautifuly on paper unfortunately I have not used them on game as of yet
frown.gif
but hopefully soon.
CIT

I shoot the 210 Berger VLD's out of a .300 WM, although have not used them on animals.. yet. I say yet because I have heard that they do work very well; even at long range distances.)+ 600 yards) I have heard "rumor" that when they hit that the rear end of the bullet swings around (heaviest end comes around). That "J" turn comingled with the velocity and weight of the bullet is very effective. Ian, would you say that this is an accurate statement?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.