6.5 prc elk poll, round 3!!

What 6.5prc elk bullet??

• Total voters
Actually just got back from a cow hunt. We did great. Big cow 450-500 lbs. 388 yds with a 168 ABLR out of a 308 win 22 inch barrel. 2700 fps. Text book double lung with golf ball size exit. She went 10 feet and died. Sometimes they aren't hard to kill. That's a 200 lb plus mule deer buck in the deer bag. These cows were big ol gals!!
Yep. Saw the neighbor take a 300 class bull on his on property with a 143x out of creed. 150 yards, DRT. Saw my 6 creed pistol running a 110A tip at 2550 take a bull at 125ish and go 30 yards. My aunt used a 243 with factory 90's take many cows from 50-150 yards and most where DRT. You never know how it is all going to end. I've killed almost all my elk with a bow and had a few DRT and a few go 400-500 yards walking dead. As much as I like to see them drop, I don't expect it.

So, if you only get one shot at that cow elk, at some long range like 850yds before she hits the big timber, what happens ?
Are you going to have a blood trail? Exit seems unlikely. Am I wrong?
Im referring to the 4 bullet choices in the poll.

It would be my luck to have run across that same cow.

So, if you only get one shot at that cow elk, at some long range like 850yds before she hits the big timber, what happens ?

I think banking on an exit at 850 yards with any bullet isn't the best plan. If I'm taking a 850 yard shot I'm wanting a bullet that cheats the wind the most and causes the most internal damage. With this shot in mind I'd go 147 eldm or 156 Berger

My wife's bull at 670 she shot twice broadside and both exited. For us, the longer the distance the better chance of an exit.

I'm wondering when the people
that have had a less than lovely experience with bare minimum calibers and bullet weight/construction speak up?
Must be a figment of my imagination,
I guess they don't exist.

As a guide we have seen a massive switch to 6.5 over the past 5 years. We have a 2 to 3 shot norm on both cow and bulls. No matter what the numbers say I'll take a 30 cal hole or bigger every day over a 257 or 6.5. 20+ elk and I have yet to see one drop in its tracks with a 6.5. I have thought with a 25-06 and 6mm creed. But they hit the spine and CNS was damaged or severed. Most elk walk off a bit, separate from the herd and then tip over. This year more guys had 7 prc than any other cartridges in camp. Trends move very fast even in the old hunting woods. It's surprising to me how trendy guys are.

I concur on the switch to smaller faster, I see it just among the family over the hunting seasons.

One of the nephew's, says I should put away my 300 win mag and get a 6.5 PRC because BC velocity bullet selection lighter weight rifle recoil yada yada yada.... my reply 190 ablr, 3100 fps plenty of margin for error plenty of brass, bullets....need I say more

I concur on the switch to smaller faster, I see it just among the family over the hunting seasons.

One of the nephew's, says I should put away my 300 win mag and get a 6.5 PRC because BC velocity bullet selection lighter weight rifle recoil yada yada yada.... my reply 190 ablr, 3100 fps plenty of margin for error plenty of brass, bullets....need I say more
He'd be wise to do some listening, when his wise Uncle does some speaking.

Maybe AZ elk are easier to kill? Ive seen my share of guys shooting 30 cals that can't get a follow up because recoil is too much. Hard to get prone on late elk hunts here. Lots of shots off tripods which I'll take a 6.5 or 7 since I shoot suppressed. Seems most elk here will stand for a few after taking the first hit. I'd rather have a guy that can follow up and put more in them. I'm sure each region has their own quirks. Take whatever gun you think you can put the most accurate shots down range with. Obsessing over bullets is only a thing on forums because we are nerds that enjoy the mental masturbation.

But multiple or repeated shots are only possible if you can keep them from gopping over the top of the scope after the first one...and how many times have you had to shout reload!!!!! ...... as they stand there.....

I honestly think my dad would have the entire lot of them mucking out the shelters to add some comprehensive reinforcement....because otherwise his foot would be sore....