6.5 prc elk bullet poll!

What elk bullet?

• Total voters
LOL! Never a clear cut answer on LRH!
Out of 17 elk in my lifetime all were taken with a 30 caliber, either 30-06 (most), or 300 WM. Bullets were 165-200 and Sierra GK or Nosler Partition…old school that worked.
Good luck with your "new school"! I'll be watching to see all the experiments! LOL!

The 131 gr Hammers were designed for 6.5PRC with 1 in 7.5.
The questions was asked why doesn't anyone use the 140 grain hammer? I use the 124 Grain HH in one of my PRC's on occasion so I had to look up what was available close to 140 grains. The closest match to 140 in the Hammer Hunter line, which is the type I use was the 137 HH which requires a 1 in 6.5 Twist rate. The do have a 139 shock hammer, which I hear also works very well but has a lesser BC value, can be stabilized in a 1 in 8 twist rate according to the hammer website. I have no experience with the shock hammers so I cannot share any real world results with them.

rlshrumva
That elk has some nice looking daggers points or 4ths. It looks like one side doesn't have the 3rd but man still some nice horns.

Also would anyone like to elaborate on there 156gr 264Win load and what barrel twist they have. I think for me with my current 6.5's if I was going to go elk hunting I would use the 140 Berger, or some 142ABLR. Cause I have about 3 boxes of each and no I don't wont to get rid of any. My 6.5X284Norma shot 140 Berger's really well and was really effective at killing a lot of rocks. So much that I burned out the barrel and never shot a single animal. I need to re-barrel that one. I can still clean it up really good and shoot it but after about 10 rounds the accuracy will wonder a little. I have a new 264Win that is just setting in the case never fired. I want to use the 142ABLR in it. My 6.5creed gets fed 140 Berger's also..... Also something I seen the other day on backfire TV and it made me think about it and its so true. When you see a lot of people take there 6.5 PRC and cut the barrels down to like 20 or 22 inches and then use a suppresser you might as well be shooting a 6.5 Creed. with a 24 or 26 inch barrel. You basically take the magnums and turn it into a creed with the short barrel. Only short barrel gun we own is my wife 243 and it came that way. It's a T3 lite with I think a 20 or something like a 21.5 inch barrel. Every thing we have ever ran through it if the box states 3000fps then it going to be like 200fps slower.

I'd opt for 142 Nosler ABLR, 142 gr Norma boat tail or 143 ELD-X, 150 gr Nosler AB (if you can find 'em) or 156 Berger. Have killed Elk and mule deer with all in various 6.5 cartridges and all one-shot DRT up to 550 yds (all full broadside, boiler room shots). I'm a big fan of the 6.5 PRC.

Let's take a vote round 2! Elk hunting with the 6.5 prc out to 500 yards max
Options are 124 hammer hunter at 3400fps or the 156 Berger at 2900fps groups are the pretty much the same. Or 143 eldx factory loads at 3000fps
Thanks!

I just read this whole thread and perhaps I missed it but to the OP how'd your elk hunt go and what did you end up using?

The very BEST Bullet for, the 6.5 PRC isn't even on your List,.. 140 grain, Berger, Elite Hunters !
Great Velocity, at, 3,050 to 3,100 FPS and the DRT,.. "Scrambling" of, internals !
The 140 gr. Bergers "pushed" will usually shoot thru, at least,.. One, Shoulder Blade, on an Elk,.. FACT !

Last edited: