6.5 prc elk poll, round 3!!

What 6.5prc elk bullet??

• Total voters
Fellow boomers: Bingo has been rescheduled until Thursday night. We have a guest speaker to talk on colon cancer screening.

Seriously, the younger generation seems to love 6.5 for everything. I love my 6.5 prc, too. I was on a hunt where a lady harvested a nice bull with a .243, after three shots to the chest. But …..

Fellow boomers: Bingo has been rescheduled until Thursday night. We have a guest speaker to talk on colon cancer screening.

Seriously, the younger generation seems to love 6.5 for everything. I love my 6.5 prc, too. I was on a hunt where a lady harvested a nice bull with a .243, after three shots to the chest. But …..
Lmao. Now a serial note, my aunt used a 243 to hunt elk and did very well. I've killed one with a 6 creed pistol. On another note, I've guided for many years and have a lot of animals harvested. Some amazing stuff on both sides of the coin.

Bergara HMR-PRO in 300 WM.
Small bore target reduced for 50'. Shot@ 100 Yds.

Attachments

• IMG_1478.jpeg
    IMG_1478.jpeg
    340.9 KB · Views: 31
Game animals, have their moments.... where we stand there and go huh ....that happened.... and look at each other...look down at the rifle..... and then trudge off to begin tracking the animal that by all rights should be stone dead at the spot we introduced the bullet or bullets to the vital and begin a short or sometimes long track to the conclusion.

Sometimes the game animal didn't read the script......full breath..full of adrenalin...the decision to move or flee had already had been made.. a dead man's switch situation...no one home, but the signal had been sent and the body acted on it...who knows..

Unless you break structure, where they can't move, then exiting the point of impact is always a possibility .

I prefer a tougher bullet for bigger animal and anchoring shots, so didn't see a choice in the poll.

I would love to see a picture of that cows carcass myself! And the autopsy pics to see where 800 grains of bullets went into a chest cavity and never hit anything vital or lethal enough to kill her. That's one cyborg terminator cow! 💪💪

I've seen a lot of animals hit the ground and occasionally they do withstand a lot of impacts. The rule of thumb with me and clients is to send it until its down for the count. I have had multiple elk take 2 impacts to anchor. A few take 3-4. I would say its a toss up on 1 and done vs 2 to stop. Too many variables play a role in how it all goes. The worst is a animal shot, seemingly a solid impact, and have the shooter just sit there until it wonders off.

Actually just got back from a cow hunt. We did great. Big cow 450-500 lbs. 388 yds with a 168 ABLR out of a 308 win 22 inch barrel. 2700 fps. Text book double lung with golf ball size exit. She went 10 feet and died. Sometimes they aren't hard to kill. That's a 200 lb plus mule deer buck in the deer bag. These cows were big ol gals!!

Attachments

• 20231025_172725.jpg
    20231025_172725.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 38