6.5 prc elk bullets

OG-danimal

Hey all,
I'm new to the forum and new to reloading. I just bought a proof MPR in 6.5prc with a 24" barrel and 1:7.5 twist. I have all the components to reload my own stuff. I'll be hunting mostly mulies but also would like to be able to hunt elk. The biggest question right now is what projectiles to load to make effective and ethical kill on elk. Max effective range I'm looking for is probably 500 yards and under. I have a bunch of Berger 156 EOL. Should I look for something with a bonded core? Thoughts and experiences welcomed. Thanks!

Hey all,
I'm new to the forum and new to reloading. I just bought a proof MPR in 6.5prc with a 24" barrel and 1:7.5 twist. I have all the components to reload my own stuff. I'll be hunting mostly mulies but also would like to be able to hunt elk. The biggest question right now is what projectiles to load to make effective and ethical kill on elk. Max effective range I'm looking for is probably 500 yards and under. I have a bunch of Berger 156 EOL. Should I look for something with a bonded core? Thoughts and experiences welcomed. Thanks!
Nope load what you have. The 156 will be great for what you want.
The 156 hit pretty hard at 500 yards when launched around 2900-3000 FPS.
RL 26 was my powder of choice when I shot them.

And also welcome to the forum !!

I've done a good number of elk with a 6.5 SS with a 140 Berger out into he 800 yard range, I don't know if the added recoil would be needed to go to the 156 but shoot what you got, the 156 wrecks their will to live rather effectively also. You couldn't pay me to shoot a bonded bullet, Hammer mono would be an option also that I'm please to let fly on an elk.

I've done a good number of elk with a 6.5 SS with a 140 Berger out into he 800 yard range, I don't know if the added recoil would be needed to go to the 156 but shoot what you got, the 156 wrecks their will to live rather effectively also. You couldn't pay me to shoot a bonded bullet, Hammer mono would be an option also that I'm please to let fly on an elk.
How's the blood shot meat with those bergers?

Thanks guys! How's the blood shot with those bergers? Or just put a high shoulder shot on and don't worry about it?
Hammer 131 gr was designed for the 1-7.5 twist should be a great all around bullet 3200 fps plus should be achievable . I'm right at 3200 fps with 57.3 grs of N165 . I ve learned a lot since I first started loading for the Prc . I'm confident I can get 3300 fps with some new load development.

Hammer 131 gr was designed for the 1-7.5 twist should be a great all around bullet 3200 fps plus should be achievable . I'm right at 3200 fps with 57.3 grs of N165 . I ve learned a lot since I first started loading for the Prc . I'm confident I can get 3300 fps with some new load development.
Right on! How is the accuracy on those hammers?

Thanks guys! How's the blood shot with those bergers? Or just put a high shoulder shot on and don't worry about it?
Blood shot and meat loss is one of the reasons I like Bergers so much, very little blood shot compared to a tipped bullet like an Accubond.
I don't shoulder shoot elk anymore unless something has gone horribly wrong, I don't want to see an elk just drop, to many come back alive or start flopping around. One round behind the shoulder midway up and they run a few yards, get the Berger wobble and flop over, you know why they tipped and their down and out then.

Blood shot and meat loss is one of the reasons I like Bergers so much, very little blood shot compared to a tipped bullet like an Accubond.
I don't shoulder shoot elk anymore unless something has gone horribly wrong, I don't want to see an elk just drop, to many come back alive or start flopping around. One round behind the shoulder midway up and they run a few yards, get the Berger wobble and flop over, you know why they tipped and their down and out then.
All of the Hammer bullets I've tried have all been accurate . So far I've loaded them in both of my 6.5-284s 1-9 twist 121gr Hammer Hunters , The 131gr Hammer in one of my 6.5PRCS 1-7.5 twist , the 124 Hammer hunter 123gr absolute and the 109 gr absolute in my 1-8 twist 6.5 Prc . I have also loaded the 90 gr absolute Hammers in my 25-284 .The all are shooting under .75 on a bad day . There is a lot of load info on this site , look up the Hammer Hunter and the Absolute Hammer load data the members here have compiled over several years .I've been loading for 60 yrs and have never seen another bullet easier too work a load for .