6.5 PRC deer bullets

OG-danimal

Got elk out of the way… how bout bullets for deer. 7.5 twist 24 inch barrel. 500 yards and under. New reloader here. Bullets I'm considering… 156 EOL, 131 hammer hunter, 140 nosler partition, 120ttsx.
Cheers

I will be using, Hornady, 143 gr. ELD-X's for Deer, in my New 6.5 Creed. Tikka 24 inch, 1-8 twist ( Did my "Homework", on these ).
And,.. My grandson shot, 2 Blk Tails and One Muley at, 225 to 468 Yards with, them and ALL bullets laying under, the far side Hide ( or, Pass thru ) and all,.. DRT !
Be staying with, 140 Classic Hunter, Berger's @ 3,200 FPS, in my .270 WSM ( A super accurate,.. Killer, Bullet ! ) for,. Elk / Moose.

Last edited:
My favorites with my comparable velocity 6.5x284's for mule deer/whitetails are the 143 ELD-X and Berger 140HVLD. At <500 yards, the conventional designs like the 140 Nosler Partition/Accubond/BallisticTip will also get the job done well.

I just recently set up a load for my 20" barreled 6.5 PRC with 124 hammers. They are going 3260fps and would absolutely shoot deer at 500 yards with that load. I have a 1-7 twist barrel, but prefer to over spin the hammers. I don't like cutting them close on stability.

For your distance and requirements would be very hard to beat the 123 or 124 hammers.
They are the best bullet I've tried to date in my 22" creed. At any hunting distance.
I was running the 147gr eld but was getting inconsistent performance. Nothing terrible but the hammers are as consistent as they come. And out to 500 yards my hammer load beats out any of the heavies I've tried to that distance. Under 500 yards speed always tends to be king.

Got elk out of the way… how bout bullets for deer. 7.5 twist 24 inch barrel. 500 yards and under. New reloader here. Bullets I'm considering… 156 EOL, 131 hammer hunter, 140 nosler partition, 120ttsx.
Cheers
if you found a bullet that shoots well in your rig and you are comfortable/confident with for Elk, that same bullet should also handle your deer needs.
my PRC is using the 143 ELD-X and has been great for both Elk at 496 and deer from 40 to 380 yards.
it also shoots the 127 LRX well and I'd use that on either Elk or deer. (the LRX in my creedmoor killed an elk years back as well, prior to that being available in a factory load)

enjoy testing research and shoot straight while hunting and harvest should be a success!

Under 500 you can pretty much take your pick. A soft point core-lokt will work. Now that that is out of the way, between my 6.5-284, 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC, I have successfully used the following: Berger 135 Classic Hunters, 140 VLDs and 144 Hybrids, Hornady 143 ELDX, SST and the old 140 A-MAX, and lastly the Federal Fusion. All of them have worked well but my favorite so far has been the 144 Hybrids out of my PRC. I'm going to use the 156 EOLs this year.

Cheers
As Idaho lefty said , Hornady, 143 gr. ELD-X's for Deer, and I also found that Berger 140 VLD fly about the same and are great, they go down quickly. So you can load and get almost the same result for either one from sighting in and performance . Try H 1000 or RL26 if you can find it. I lucked out and just picked up 8 lbs.

Recent Posts