Building a 6.5 PRC, annnnndddd there’s no bullets.

So I finally started a 6.5 PRC build on a blueprinted trued rem 700 action. Ordered a proof research barrel 28 inch. Things are looking good. Then I went to go buy ammo. Looking for 6.5 PRC 143gr eldx. Nah, fam.

if you can't find it, build it right?

ordered an RCBS kit with 6.5 PRC and 300WM dies. Easy, right? Nope. Can barely find the bullets (might pull from old 6.5 CM shells), no brass, and not a large rifle primer anywhere even for the highest bidder. Madness.

Any advice wound be appreciated to get a 6.5 143 grain bullet to fly out of a gun at near 3000fps. That was the goal of this project.
Try Sportsman's Warehouse St. George UT - I know they had 500 140gr ELD-M's Thursday.

I was lucky when I got my 6.5PRC that I found a ton of brass, Hornady ammo, and RL26. As it all disappeared from suppliers shelves I noticed all I can find around is 270 stuff so I have been re-visiting the .270 Win. It is still pretty easy to find 270WSM brass too. Just saying, if you haven't had your chamber cut yet the 150 and 170 Grain bergers are pretty impressive as well as the 145 grain Hornadys. Won't help your primer situation, but brass and bullets seem to always be available for the .277s.
I noticed as well that .277" bullets haven't been an issue to find in 2020. Never thought I would be loading and shooting my .270 WBY to save money. Lol.

yeah because no one likes or shoots the .270. The only guy who liked it died in 1978.

😉😁

where you at @DangerRanger
1607229080276.gif

We talkin bout 270s?!

I'm going to throw this out there as it looks like my services may be of help to some of you members. It seems like I always hear folks winning about a load that no factory will make for them. Call me I can help you with that if u need a caliber that I don't currently load, you buy the dies and order a 100 rounds so it will be worth my while we can agree on a price and go from there. If u have a specific need say you want to introduce a new shooter to your new 300 win mag but you don't want to use a 200 gr full power load you might want a reduced recoil load with a 130 varmint bullet to get them started. If u can find something your not looking hard enough, I found rifle primers for a good price on gunbroker.com the guy was too stupid to ship them to me cause he didn't know how, even though I told him to go to UPS get a ormd sticker and they ship it out just like ammo. I had to drive 7 hrs to pick up 20000 primers moma said as long as she could go to the gift shop we could call it a date. If u just need the primers I have standard large rifle I got these for a client that ordered 6000 rounds of 308 match ammo I've got 5000 available if you need some let me know.

I'm going to throw this out there as it looks like my services may be of help to some of you members. It seems like I always hear folks winning about a load that no factory will make for them. Call me I can help you with that if u need a caliber that I don't currently load, you buy the dies and order a 100 rounds so it will be worth my while we can agree on a price and go from there. If u have a specific need say you want to introduce a new shooter to your new 300 win mag but you don't want to use a 200 gr full power load you might want a reduced recoil load with a 130 varmint bullet to get them started. If u can find something your not looking hard enough, I found rifle primers for a good price on gunbroker.com the guy was too stupid to ship them to me cause he didn't know how, even though I told him to go to UPS get a ormd sticker and they ship it out just like ammo. I had to drive 7 hrs to pick up 20000 primers moma said as long as she could go to the gift shop we could call it a date. If u just need the primers I have standard large rifle I got these for a client that ordered 6000 rounds of 308 match ammo I've got 5000 available if you need some let me know.
I might need them. We shall see. It's the brass for 6.5 PRC that has the issue right now

Hello Sir,

If you are still looking for bullets and such for 6.5 PRC, I might be able to help a fellow Texan out. I have some 143 ELD-X bullets and 2 boxes of Hornady Brass , maybe can find a few primers and powder but I can't ship and I know Texas is a big state so I'm north of San Antonio up by Blanco if you are still in need. I'm packing for a hog hunt tonight so may not be able to answer until tomorrow but Please let me know if I can help.

Regards

jaclthr
I like to drive and I'm in Denton. Please send me the details. I'm grateful for this.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts