6.5 PRC or 280AI, build of buy

Back to the drawing board then. Nobody shoots LR 140-150 .284s and compares them to 140-150 .264s. The world is going the way of the popgun and that's fine. This is the gun owner equivalent to drinking star bucks, voting for Bernie, and driving a Prius.

About 1,000 dead white tails behind why I think what I think not just the "it does better than it should" to me that argument means you're expectations are too low.
LOL, man for decades hunters shot that ammo because long range shooting was a mythical creature. The majority of hunters still shoot sub 300 and only recently has the long ammo craze been so prevalent. The 30 cal guys called 7mm guys Bernie supporters and still do. Probably rightfully so since the .284 is .024 thou smaller and we all know bigger is better and that is all that matters. Anything less is a just liberal tear looking a safe place to land.

The seekins havak comes with plenty of room in their carbon mag to play with anything and comes in at 1700/1800ish. Great rifles. Have one in 6.5 PRC and it shoots lights out with 140 Berger's at 3000 fps. Just a suggestion.

While I don't own a 6.5 PRC, I've rebarrelled my 6.5-284 Norma twice(built on a long action). Awesome round. Tack driver and virtually no recoil. I shoot the 140 gr VLD's or the 124 gr Hammer Hunters in it. It's a great deer and pronghorn cartridge in my opinion, but I prefer a larger caliber for elk. That being said, I just built a lighter weight 280 AI. It does have more recoil than the Norma, but it's really nothing. Very accurate cartridge too. Both rifles have muzzle brakes.
My feeling is the 280 AI is more versatile than the PRC. While you're at the limit for bullet weight with 140-156 gr bullets in the 6.5, you can load down to the 140's or up to the 180's in the 280 AI.

My choice for elk is either my 300 WSM or 338 Lapua. Not to say the 280 or PRC couldn't get it done, but I've NEVER wished I had less firepower. Had a friend come to this conclusion after getting his first elk with the Creed. He told me he wished he had something with more "thump" and should have borrowed one of my larger caliber rifles.

Now, I rebarreled my Tikka from a 243 to the 6.5 Creed recently with a 24" Proof prefit. Didn't think I'd ever get on the Creed bandwagon, but I love mine. Crazy thing is I can attain close to 6.5-284 Norma speeds with the 143 gr ELDX and RL26. I get 2959 fps in the Creed, while I get 2997 fps with the same bullet in my 6.5-284 with Retumbo. Has me questioning if I'll keep the 6.5-284 or not.

Either way, you really can't go wrong. Look at ballistics & bullet choices for both, and see what works best for the game you plan on hunting. I've rediscovered my 30-06 this past year, and I could hunt everything with it if I could only have one rifle.

While I don't own a 6.5 PRC, I've rebarrelled my 6.5-284 Norma twice(built on a long action). Awesome round. Tack driver and virtually no recoil. I shoot the 140 gr VLD's or the 124 gr Hammer Hunters in it. It's a great deer and pronghorn cartridge in my opinion, but I prefer a larger caliber for elk. That being said, I just built a lighter weight 280 AI. It does have more recoil than the Norma, but it's really nothing. Very accurate cartridge too. Both rifles have muzzle brakes.
My feeling is the 280 AI is more versatile than the PRC. While you're at the limit for bullet weight with 140-156 gr bullets in the 6.5, you can load down to the 140's or up to the 180's in the 280 AI.

My choice for elk is either my 300 WSM or 338 Lapua. Not to say the 280 or PRC couldn't get it done, but I've NEVER wished I had less firepower. Had a friend come to this conclusion after getting his first elk with the Creed. He told me he wished he had something with more "thump" and should have borrowed one of my larger caliber rifles.

Now, I rebarreled my Tikka from a 243 to the 6.5 Creed recently with a 24" Proof prefit. Didn't think I'd ever get on the Creed bandwagon, but I love mine. Crazy thing is I can attain close to 6.5-284 Norma speeds with the 143 gr ELDX and RL26. I get 2959 fps in the Creed, while I get 2997 fps with the same bullet in my 6.5-284 with Retumbo. Has me questioning if I'll keep the 6.5-284 or not.

Either way, you really can't go wrong. Look at ballistics & bullet choices for both, and see what works best for the game you plan on hunting. I've rediscovered my 30-06 this past year, and I could hunt everything with it if I could only have one rifle.
Not trying to be a dick but keep in mind even the magic unicorn dust rl26 at those speeds is over pressure by a large margin. It's simple science.
I have several creeds and can get crazy speed but it destroys the throat in no time and brass goes away quick. Usually loose as heck primer pockets. I run rl26 in my 6.5-284's and the prc.

Back to the drawing board then. Nobody shoots LR 140-150 .284s and compares them to 140-150 .264s. The world is going the way of the popgun and that's fine. This is the gun owner equivalent to drinking star bucks, voting for Bernie, and driving a Prius.

About 1,000 dead white tails behind why I think what I think not just the "it does better than it should" to me that argument means you're expectations are too low.
Ok 7mm supporter - would you rather shoot 140's in a 7mm or 140's in a 6.5? Just curious at what point common sense kicks in...I am dying to hear you say "I would shoot a 6.5". Lol 😂

Last edited:
Ok 7mm supporter - would you rather shoot 140's in a 7mm or 140's in a 6.5? Just curious at what point common sense kicks in...I am dying to hear you say "I would shoot a 6.5". Lol 😂

apples to watermelons. Limited to those bullet weights the .264 is superior in all
Long range aspects. But a 160 .284 and a 140 .264? Watermelons to watermelons. I shoot everything, I didn't cut my entire fire arms collection for a wanna be WSM in the wrong diameter 😎

You've got To be kidding. That's absolutely a nuclear creedmoore load. My best friend had a 260 AI with 143s he wasn't even getting 2950.

apples to watermelons. Limited to those bullet weights the .264 is superior in all
Long range aspects. But a 160 .284 and a 140 .264? Watermelons to watermelons. I shoot everything, I didn't cut my entire fire arms collection for a wanna be WSM in the wrong diameter 😎
Actually a 156 to a 162-180 is a logical comparison and the prc holds its own. It's always a good sign when a cartridges brings out someone's inner childish behavior and they spew it on a forum. No one knocks the .284 but for some reason the .264 itch's people bitchy buttons

I know brother - I really don't regret dumping my magnums most days. Then I get a call about an alaska moose hunt and I am like 🧐

I am sure the 156 berger will knock the wind out of a big bull moose :).

I know brother - I really don't regret dumping my magnums most days. Then I get a call about an alaska moose hunt and I am like 🧐

I am sure the 156 berger will knock the wind out of a big bull moose :).
That is sooooo unethical in the US you should be ashamed. Now, if you are hunting in Scandinavia, carry on, happy hunting.

Alright so I'm leaning 6.5 PRC with a proof barrel on the Bighorn origin action. Later down the road if need be I can always buy a 300WSM barrel and just swap them out, should be that "easy" right?

Also I understand that the origin is not cut for a wyatts as far as a bdl bottom, so I will have to do a DBM... is that correct?!

Alright so I'm leaning 6.5 PRC with a proof barrel on the Bighorn origin action. Later down the road if need be I can always buy a 300WSM barrel and just swap them out, should be that "easy" right?

Also I understand that the origin is not cut for a wyatts as far as a bdl bottom, so I will have to do a DBM... is that correct?!
Yes and no.

the origin isn't cut for wyatts but it is cut for aics. If you are willing to run a mag you can add bottom metal and a 308 without binder plate aics 5 Round mag. If you run DBM or hinged floor plate just double check the COAL.

Also, if you want you can easily open the action bottom or have a smith do it. I'm not sure that is what you want to do but it can be done easily enough.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.