6.5 PRC or 280AI, build of buy

Recoil...if you don't hold the rifle correct..the recoil can bite you..yes even in the prc......especially in lighter weight rifles...
I have the 280ai and 65284...and another 65284 just about finished.....and a 26 nosler......yes the nosler has a thump
But nothing a person can't change one way or another....i have sims pads on all rifles....no brakes....and the nosler I like to shoot....just have to have at least three rifles to shoot so that the nosler cools down...

Either of you rifle choices will work for most all of the deer family....maybe not so well on grizz...or black death....

I would buy one off a guy here....they come up regularly...and Lance probably has one sitting collecting dust....his are nice.....haha

Either is a good choice, 208AI is hard to beat. 7mm bullets are excellent and you can load heavies. Pretty versatile cartridge.

Me personally, I'm fine with the 6.5 for everything, especially if you are talking elk occasionally vs a dedicated elk rifle. Even then, I'd go 6.5 but I'm bow hunter so getting in close is a not an issue for me. There is no rule saying you have to shoot stuff at 1000 yards. Regardless the PRC has enough velocity to get way out there for sure.

I am running a bighorn TL3 SA and proof prefit. Some say you have to a med/long action and it's just not true. There is a little risk in that SAAMI is .188 freebore and you will jump the bullets. Some people flat don't understand that bigger jump doesn't mean your rifle won't perform. People are way to hung up on this myth. However, I would suggest 2.950 minimum. I run aics mags so I load to to 2.950 for everything from 135-156.

In the end, if you go long action, go 280AI. If you choose a SA go PRC. If you want to go cray cray, do the long action origin with magnum head, buy a standard extra head, get 2 barrels, and you golden. ha ha

This rifle is intriguing to me, I just cannot understand how the price can be so low with a $900 barrel on it... is it lacking in something?!

The 6.5 prc will have more factory ammo options and kick less in a lighter rifle. I'm a big fan of both and would not complain about owning either. Both will kill anything in North America so basically just go with what you can find available or build which one you think you will like best. The 280ai is going to be very much like the 7mag you had. 280ai handloads will match 7mag factory ammo. So I would say go 6.5 for the lighter recoil. Look at the Berger 156 people are having great luck with it. I still like the 147eldm for my 6.5.
Shep
Good to know, thank you.
Either is a good choice, 208AI is hard to beat. 7mm bullets are excellent and you can load heavies. Pretty versatile cartridge.

Me personally, I'm fine with the 6.5 for everything, especially if you are talking elk occasionally vs a dedicated elk rifle. Even then, I'd go 6.5 but I'm bow hunter so getting in close is a not an issue for me. There is no rule saying you have to shoot stuff at 1000 yards. Regardless the PRC has enough velocity to get way out there for sure.

I am running a bighorn TL3 SA and proof prefit. Some say you have to a med/long action and it's just not true. There is a little risk in that SAAMI is .188 freebore and you will jump the bullets. Some people flat don't understand that bigger jump doesn't mean your rifle won't perform. People are way to hung up on this myth. However, I would suggest 2.950 minimum. I run aics mags so I load to to 2.950 for everything from 135-156.

In the end, if you go long action, go 280AI. If you choose a SA go PRC. If you want to go cray cray, do the long action origin with magnum head, buy a standard extra head, get 2 barrels, and you golden. ha ha
That's a great point, I would like to say elk every year... but the wife would say otherwise ha. Yes I think I would be fine with a SA beings I would mostly be shooting factory ammo. I know I read another user on here did a ridgeline with a Mesa stock and had them install a wyatts box to get some more room...
It would be the best of both worlds to go LA and buy a couple barrels! Just need some more money!

Last edited:
Hey everyone, first post here. So as the title says, I'm looking at either building or buying a 6.5 prc or 289ai. I've been wanting a prc for awhile now, but after reading through lots of forums on here I feel that I may be better off with the 280ai. The price range I'm looking at is around 3k for the rifle. Mainly used on whitetail in Nebraska with the occasional elk hunt. I do own a lee reloaded, although I've never found the time to get it set up after owning is for 3 years, so I'm not against reloading but currently will be using factory ammo.
My first thought was to build on a bighorn origin action with a proof barrel and manners eh1 or Mesa precision stock.
Next would be a CA ridgeline and swap out the stock for the manners or Mesa.
I've noticed the Proof elevation mtr has most of the components I was looking at with a similar stock.
Last one would be the new fierce rival. Not much info on that yet, but everyone on here seems to love fierce firearms.
Hoping to knee the rifle around the 6 1/2 pound mark before optics.
Any advice is much appreciated!
Bighorn and proof 6.5PRC that way you can also change the bolt head and barrel calber and shoot what you want also

That's a great point, I would like to say elk every year... but the wife would say otherwise ha. Yes I think I would be fine with a SA beings I would mostly be shooting factory ammo. I know I read another user on here did a ridgeline with a Mesa stock and had them install a wyatts box to get some more room...
It would be the best of both worlds to go LA and buy a couple barrels! Just need some more money!
[/QUOTE]

You probably couldn't have picked a harder decision. I have run 6.5-284's for many years and had 7. Absolutely love my 6.5-284's and only switched to the prc for a sa cartridge. I wound up with the bighorn because I built a higher end switch barrel set up and wanted to run everything small base to magnum head. Running small cartridges in a SA is usually a little more full proof so that is my decision process. As of right now, I don't see going back to LA for any reason. I can swap to a 325 WSM or 300 WSM if I need heavies for dangerous game if required. Heck I could do a 7 saum if I wanted similar performance to a 7 mag with 180's.

Anyway, I definitely would not be happy with the PRC running 2.80 mag length. This is a no go for me. So, unless you are going to run wyatts or aics length mags, do not do a short action with the prc. Factory ammo won't fit.

Hey everyone, first post here. So as the title says, I'm looking at either building or buying a 6.5 prc or 289ai. I've been wanting a prc for awhile now, but after reading through lots of forums on here I feel that I may be better off with the 280ai. The price range I'm looking at is around 3k for the rifle. Mainly used on whitetail in Nebraska with the occasional elk hunt. I do own a lee reloaded, although I've never found the time to get it set up after owning is for 3 years, so I'm not against reloading but currently will be using factory ammo.
My first thought was to build on a bighorn origin action with a proof barrel and manners eh1 or Mesa precision stock.
I've noticed the Proof elevation mtr has most of the components I was looking at with a similar stock.
Last one would be the new fierce rival. Not much info on that yet, but everyone on here seems to love fierce firearms.

My plan is to trade my Tikka T3 in 270win for a 300 wing mag and use that action to build a 6.5 PRC with carbon wrapped barrel and a lightweight stock. With optics, I should be around 3k mark.

Just my opinion but for 3000 you can build a mighty fine custom rifle and have it the way you want either caliber is a fine choice but I think you would be better off with the 280ai I have owned several through the years and believe its one of the best chamberings I am also fond of the defiance actions I know there is a lot of people using 6.5 for elk I have always thought the 7mm should be the minimum for an animal that size but just my opinion good luck with your project

Last edited:
I have a 280AI that's sub 7 lbs scoped. Bartlein featherweight contour mcmillan edge, leupold 4.5-14x40 30mm. While I really like the round I'm kind of disappointed in it. This one doesn't seem to like heavier bullets despite the 1:8.7 twist. It's good up to 160s and really likes 150 accubond but everything else heavier has been around 1MOA. I shot a couple groups with Sierra game changers this morning and it shows potential. I'm going to try some 175 bergers next chance I get...

I have no experience with a 6.5 PRC but I've burned and rebarreled (2) 6.5-284s in competition as well
As crop management. I like the round on paper and steel but for killing big game I start at .284 diameter. The 140 bergers in a 6.5 don't do as good a job in white tails as the big 7s. And the 7s don't do as good as the big 30s.

for my needs I skip the 6.5s. Compete with 6mm hunt with the 28s and 30s.

Still don't understand how .020 diameter more has anything to with delivering damage to the vitals.

bullet design, sectional density, velocity, and shot placement are what delivers damage to the vitals.

on another note lots of animals are hunted with 140-150 grain 7mm. No one seems to bat an eye at that but state a 6.5 with 140-150 and people get all twitchy. So confusing

Still don't understand how .020 diameter more has anything to with delivering damage to the vitals.

bullet design, sectional density, velocity, and shot placement are what delivers damage to the vitals.

on another note lots of animals are hunted with 140-150 grain 7mm. No one seems to bat an eye at that but state a 6.5 with 140-150 and people get all twitchy. So confusing
Exactly!! I have turned into a huge 6.5 fan. I have sold all my magnum 7mms 300s and the lone 325 in favor of my 6.5 prc. Those 6.5s seem to kill better than they should. My bro in law shoots 140gr bullets out of his 7RM at 2900 and feels like that is superior to my 6.5 prc throwing 147's at 3050...i dont get it either.

my thoughts were a 6.5 156 berger at 2900 has approx. 1000 ft lbs at 1000 the 7mm 195 at 2800 has approx. 1300 ft lbs at 1000 not knocking the 6.5s been shooting a 260 ai for years my favorite rifle but going after elk I just like the 7mm better

my thoughts were a 6.5 156 berger at 2900 has approx. 1000 ft lbs at 1000 the 7mm 195 at 2800 has approx. 1300 ft lbs at 1000 not knocking the 6.5s been shooting a 260 ai for years my favorite rifle but going after elk I just like the 7mm better
No argument. 40 grains more and super good bc is going to hit harder. I don't think many factory rifles will shoot a 195 well but they may. It seems most folks choose 168-180 tho. In the end a heavy, property designed bullet, at good speed is hard to beat. The 195 fits that bill

No argument. 40 grains more and super good bc is going to hit harder. I don't think many factory rifles will shoot a 195 well but they may. It seems most folks choose 168-180 tho. In the end a heavy, property designed bullet, at good speed is hard to beat. The 195 fits that bill
you probably are correct about the factory rifles mine has a 26 inch 8.5 twist benchmark and chambered for the 195 and with a full load of 26 I am getting 2812fps with great accuracy s.d. of 7 its been a truly great rifle I have not got to shoot it past 600 yet as the longer range is several hours away and cant seem to find a good weather day when I have the time

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.