6.5 PRC or 280AI, build of buy

Actually a 156 to a 162-180 is a logical comparison and the prc holds its own. It's always a good sign when a cartridges brings out someone's inner childish behavior and they spew it on a forum. No one knocks the .284 but for some reason the .264 itch's people bitchy buttons
Nope. Sectional density on a 26cal 156 eol .320.
Sectional density of a 180 28 cal .319.

that's apples to apples. 162 7 to a 156 6.5 is not equal. Despite the fact that a 162 eldm matches a 156 eol in bc. And a 180 eldm beats a 156 eol

You've got To be kidding. That's absolutely a nuclear creedmoore load. My best friend had a 260 AI with 143s he wasn't even getting 2950.
I'm not kidding. A friend from this website (Remmy700) is the one that told me to try it. He has 3 different Creeds that he gets over 3000 fps in them with RL26. I never hit pressure. Primers aren't flat. I ran out of room in the case. It's a compressed load. I got over 3000 fps, but the accuracy node was at 2950. Believe me, I didn't think it was possible to get those velocities.

I'm not kidding. A friend from this website (Remmy700) is the one that told me to try it. He has 3 different Creeds that he gets over 3000 fps in them with RL26. I never hit pressure. Primers aren't flat. I ran out of room in the case. It's a compressed load. I got over 3000 fps, but the accuracy node was at 2950. Believe me, I didn't think it was possible to get those velocities.
#bringremmyback!

Just cuz you can doesn't mean you should. It's all good, your throat will be toast in 300-500 likely. Been there. Running 140's at 2800 in 20". Several prs buddies did the same thing running super hot loads.

Just cuz you can doesn't mean you should. It's all good, your throat will be toast in 300-500 likely. Been there. Running 140's at 2800 in 20". Several prs buddies did the same thing running super hot loads.
True, but it's fun. Doesn't mean I'll shoot it all the time. I typically shoot the 140 gr SGK in the mid 2800's and the 124 gr Hammer at a little over 3000 fps. That screaming fast load may be my deer season load. I'll shoot it 5 times at the most per season, so torching the throat doesn't worry me.

280 AI was my choice. For elk I just like the bigger frontal diameter. I agree with Elmer Keith on that aspect. 6.5 is fine and my son is killing some cow elk with his but when we go after bulls we all carry 7mm and larger. My wife shoots a 7.8 lb Kimber 280 AI as well and has no issues with recoil. She's 120 lbs. But she might be tougher than most men these days. She used to shoot my 300 mag and I made her switch begrudgingly. Ha

I think you'll be happy with either. I noticed in the for sale ads here today a unfired 6.5 prc ca ridgeline. I almost bought a 280ai in the ridgeline last year but decided to wait. Well I started looking at them again but was looking between the 6.5 prc & the 6.5-284. In the end the 6.5 prc was $100 cheaper for the exact gun & had a 2" shorter barrel which is a plus for hunting. I have two 264win mags , a creed & a Swede. I also have a 7mm rem mag with a 26" Bartlein #3 that's a bad piece.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.