build or buy???

7mm mag sendero

Hey guys hope all is well

I'm thinking about getting a new rifle but cant make up my mind on how i want to do it.I have been thinking about building a 7 rem mag or getting the lightweight long range hunter from Shawn carlock in 7 rem mag. Have any of you delt this rifle? from shawn is it a top performer? or would you build one? I"m currently shootin a rem sendero sf2 in 300 win mag built by jim seed at center shot.thanks for all the input. and happy shooting:D:D

Although I have no personal experience with Shawn, I've heard nothing but rave reviews of any rig built by Shawn. Hopefully others in the know will comment but I don't think you could go wrong with one built by Shawn.

Last edited:
Shawn is a solid dude. I went to his shop to pick up my rifle and it is a very professional operation, you can just tell by being there that he's a perfectionist. I hope to do business with him again. Results don't lie, there are a lot of people on here who have customs built by him and I've never seen negative feedback (other than having to wait to get one).

Shawn built his Stalker for me in 338 rum - the only thing I did different on the Stalker from what he has on the web site is put a #5 contour barrel on it. The entire experience with him was very good. He did an excellent job of listening to my wants and needs in a rifle and built me exactly what I wanted. The gun wears a Nightforce 2.5x10 scope. The quality of his product is second to none.

In the same breath I have to say that Jim at Center Shot Rifles is also a great gun smith. He has done work on several of my guns and is in the process of building a 300 win and a 223 for me.

Either way you cant go wrong.

I'm the type of person that sticks with what works. Jim built my custom rifle last year and I'm nothing but satisfied. He is a great guy to deal with and he will build my next custom rifle. That being said, I have heard nothing but good things about Shawn. I have ordered several items off of his website and emailed him back and forth some. I have nothing bad to say about either man. It doesn't look like you have anything to loose, no matter which way you go.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.