to build or to buy???

Benchracer......Thanks and YES, I plan on reloading for my guns. As for why I was chosing the particular rounds that I did, flat shooting and hard hitting is what I was trying to accomplish. I basically think I can get by with only three calibers. Here is my thought process. I live in North Dakota and will be shooting several different size animals.
I plan on using a 22-250 for coyotes which I hunt all winter. I get a chance to do a lot of mule deer hunting as well as antelope. For this, I would like a descent middle size caliber that doesn't weigh a lot especially if Im doing a TON of walking in the mountains or the badlands. I don't want this to be a big bulky gun and would prefer a gun I can shoot a lot without a muzzle break.
As for the 7mm Rem Mag, I am wanting a gun that will be suitable for elk out to six hundred or so, and wasn't wanting anything bigger than the 7Rem Mag for recoil reasons. I was thinking a After researching a little, the 7Rem Mag with 168 and ESPECIALLY the 180's seem to be quite a ways from the 6.5 140's.

So basicly if it was you, you are saying go straight from the 22-250 to a 7Rem mag and call it a day? I guess I was just thinking of having my middle weight rifle a little lighter and smaller for more easily carrying. I also had thoughts of the 7 Rem Mag as being a bigger Sendero style gun that would also be a little better for playing around on the bench.
Thanks again

Keep in mind that the reloading data for the 6.5 Swede is pretty neutered, so if you are using that as a basis for comparison to a 7RM, the difference between the two will look pretty distorted. Yes, the 7RM shoots heavier bullets faster and flatter than the Swede, so its effective range will be longer. However, both cartridges effectively cover the same range of big game. There is still quite a bit of overlap between the two, which is what I was getting at.

As a light rifle in contrast to a heavy long range rig, the Swede makes more sense. My current Swede is a commercial 98 mauser wearing a #4 profile 26" barrel. Loaded to more modern pressures, it shoots 140g Berger VLD's @ 2800ish fps. At 600 yards, the difference in performance between it and my 6.5-284 isn't even worth talking about. My best 6.5-284 load shows early pressure signs, so it is straining a bit. IMO, the 6.5-284 is overrated and the Swede is underrated.

I am in the late stages of building a light carry rifle in 6.5x55 with a #2 profile 26" barrel. It will undoubtedly be a sweet little rifle to shoot and carry. I started the build before Winchester re-introduced the Model 70 in .264WM. If I had my Model 70 before I started the Swede carry rifle, I probably would have built something else.

If you are after a carry rifle, I highly recommend the current production Model 70 Sporter in .264WM. It's a joy to carry and shoot. Loaded to its max potential, you can run 140 class bullets @3100+ from a 26" barrel. You can also load it down to Swede level performance with good results. It recoils a bit more than the Swede, but it is still pleasant to shoot. Ballistically, it gives up very little to the 7RM, but it will be much more pleasant to carry than a Sendero.

As I mentioned, I am very fond of the Swede. However, the factory offerings in this chambering leave a lot to be desired IMO. I wouldn't be happy with a factory rifle chambered for the Swede. In contrast, I think the Winchester Model 70 Sporter in .264WM is the perfect package for what I want in a 6.5 cartridge. I spent more money on both of my 6.5x55 builds than it would cost to buy the Model 70 off the shelf. The only down side to the .264WM is shorter barrel life. In a hunting rifle, that doesn't really bother me.

If you buy the Sako in 6.5x55 please report back. That should be a very nice rifle and cartridge.

Keep in mind that the reloading data for the 6.5 Swede is pretty neutered, so if you are using that as a basis for comparison to a 7RM, the difference between the two will look pretty distorted. Yes, the 7RM shoots heavier bullets faster and flatter than the Swede, so its effective range will be longer. However, both cartridges effectively cover the same range of big game. There is still quite a bit of overlap between the two, which is what I was getting at.

As a light rifle in contrast to a heavy long range rig, the Swede makes more sense. My current Swede is a commercial 98 mauser wearing a #4 profile 26" barrel. Loaded to more modern pressures, it shoots 140g Berger VLD's @ 2800ish fps. At 600 yards, the difference in performance between it and my 6.5-284 isn't even worth talking about. My best 6.5-284 load shows early pressure signs, so it is straining a bit. IMO, the 6.5-284 is overrated and the Swede is underrated.

I am in the late stages of building a light carry rifle in 6.5x55 with a #2 profile 26" barrel. It will undoubtedly be a sweet little rifle to shoot and carry. I started the build before Winchester re-introduced the Model 70 in .264WM. If I had my Model 70 before I started the Swede carry rifle, I probably would have built something else.

If you are after a carry rifle, I highly recommend the current production Model 70 Sporter in .264WM. It's a joy to carry and shoot. Loaded to its max potential, you can run 140 class bullets @3100+ from a 26" barrel. You can also load it down to Swede level performance with good results. It recoils a bit more than the Swede, but it is still pleasant to shoot. Ballistically, it gives up very little to the 7RM, but it will be much more pleasant to carry than a Sendero.

As I mentioned, I am very fond of the Swede. However, the factory offerings in this chambering leave a lot to be desired IMO. I wouldn't be happy with a factory rifle chambered for the Swede. In contrast, I think the Winchester Model 70 Sporter in .264WM is the perfect package for what I want in a 6.5 cartridge. I spent more money on both of my 6.5x55 builds than it would cost to buy the Model 70 off the shelf. The only down side to the .264WM is shorter barrel life. In a hunting rifle, that doesn't really bother me.

Thank you for the info I really do appreciate it. As far as the factory rifles no being very good options for the 6.5 sweed, just so that you know, I was considering the Sako graywolf and the Tikka t3 hunter not the tikka t3 lite. Can you shed a little more light as to why these wouldn't be very good options for factory rifles in that chambering? I really do want a lighter smaller rifle to carry around for deer as I do a LOT more walking than I do when I elk hunt. I would like a lighter rifle for those hunts, and I assumed the sako or tikka in 6.5x55 would have been the perfect ticket. I figured good performance and good barrel life as well as a SMOOTH and great handling gun. I will have to give more thought to the 264 mag. One of the main concerns with my carry rifle is that it shoots moa, is light and handles well, and IS RELATIVELY LIGHT ON RECOIL. Im not sure about the last part on the 264 mag. If there is one thing I have learned about myself over the years, its that at long distance, heavy recoil really starts having an adverse effect on my groups. Thanks for all the help.

My feelings regarding the 6.5x55 and factory rifles are driven purely by personal preference. IMO, the 6.5's are at their best with a 26" barrel. Every factory rifle I have seen had a 24" barrel or shorter. The other problem is that most factory 6.5x55's have 9 twist barrels. In the interest of full disclosure, both of my Swedes have 9 twist barrels, too. Luckily for me, my preferred 140g VLD's shoot very well in the first of my Swedes (the other one is still under construction), though the twist calculators (and Berger themselves) say they shouldn't. I don't know if the Berger Hybrids will shoot in my rifles. I haven't had a chance to try them yet. Just to be on the safe side, I would highly recommend getting a rifle with an 8 twist barrel.

Sakos and Tikkas have a reputation as very fine rifles. You would probably be happy with one. I just feel that most factory rifles in 6.5x55 aren't set up to get the most out of the cartridge.

The .264WM doesn't have heavy recoil. I would estimate it to be similar to a .270 or .280. I can shoot it all day from the bench without feeling it. If you load it down, it recoils just like a Swede (the Sierra accuracy load w/140g bullets is at Swede velocities). The .264WM, too, has a 9 twist barrel. I have been shooting 140g Partitions in mine (very accurately, I might add), so I don't know if the twist will be a problem with the VLD's yet.

I guess I just didn't realize the 6.5x55 with 140's was so close to the 7rm with 180's.... I better take another closer look at the ballistics.

I did not mean to imply the 6.5 was close to the 7mm in the example given above. The 7mm is going to be far more powerful. The point I hoped to convey is the 7 mag can be loaded with lighter bullets, and lighter charges if need be, to match the 6.5.
I know you didn't ask about this one, but you can split the difference with the 270 WSM. I have one that weighs 8 lbs with a Nightforce 2.5-10 scope, shoots 140 gr bullets at almost 3200 fps, has proven to be accurate enough for rock chucks at 600 yards, and recoil is pretty tame. It's also a fine elk round, and bullets up to the 160 gr Nosler Partition can be had.
Just stirring up the mud a little.

I did not mean to imply the 6.5 was close to the 7mm in the example given above. The 7mm is going to be far more powerful. The point I hoped to convey is the 7 mag can be loaded with lighter bullets, and lighter charges if need be, to match the 6.5.
I know you didn't ask about this one, but you can split the difference with the 270 WSM. I have one that weighs 8 lbs with a Nightforce 2.5-10 scope, shoots 140 gr bullets at almost 3200 fps, has proven to be accurate enough for rock chucks at 600 yards, and recoil is pretty tame. It's also a fine elk round, and bullets up to the 160 gr Nosler Partition can be had.
Just stirring up the mud a little.

I have a Sako grey wolf in 270 wsm right now. I guess I was just kinda tired of it, but I havnt reloaded for it either

Is the barrel on the Grey Wolf a pencil barrel or does it have some mass to it. I know it is not a bull barrel but is it whippy.

Is the barrel on the Grey Wolf a pencil barrel or does it have some mass to it. I know it is not a bull barrel but is it whippy.

No, it isn't whippy at all. Im not quite sure of what contour it is, but its pretty thick. Its probably as thick as any Remington magnum barrel that's not a fluted barrel. Its not thin like the Savage and Remington and Winchester barrels you see now days. The only problem is the gray wolf rifles are heavy. Not as heavy as a sendero, but heavy none the same.

It's the laminate stock. And I am glad to hear it has a heavier barrel. It should be a good shooter. Hopefully you will get a chance to handload for it.

Elkwonder,

You already own the 270 WSM why not wring it out and see how it performs? It could fulfill your desire for the 7 rem mag and save you some money.

Buy that Sako and you will have two big game rifles that will certainly work for most situations.

AZShooter - And you are reminding me as well to get more out of my existing rifles, thanks.

Ah um well.... YES why not get the use of out what you already have? You have the brass, dies and bullets already. I know is isn't as exciting as something new.

With that 270 WSM the 7 mag is redundant. The new Accubond Long Range 150 gr bullet should be a giant killer in the wizzum, and there is always the 160 gr Partition, not to mention the lighter bullets. Check velocities, again redundant.
Of course if you just want another rifle there is no need for justification!
I am restrained only by my budget... okay and maybe my wife just a little. (grin)

I wouldn't say it's redundant....I mean, the 7mm has heavier projectiles. Sure it's got a slightly larger bore, so that ain't saying much, but I would never say a 7mm anything is redundant compared to any .270 caliber, if anything the 7 truly has the advantage. With 1 exception...The fact that he already has the .270 WSM and components, and it's bought & paid for so why not use it...

We could sit and argue all day about which is truly better, but in the end, whatever you feel is best, or you are more comfortable with, will win, no matter how big or small the bore or cartridge is.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.