deer bullets

Another very good bullet the almost never gets mentioned (for no reason that I can come up with) is the 150 Swift Scirocco. They shoot very well, hold together very well, and penetrate and mushroom nicely down to about 1850 fps. They shoot somewhere around 1MOA out to about 800 yards for me and I can get about 3165 fps with 62 gr of H4350, using Fed GM215M's (24" bbl). Don't expect the instant knock downs likely with the ballistic tips but do expect full penetration, which has merits of its own. I tried the 160 Accubonds and the best I could do was about 3040 fps using Retumbo, which was the finest shooting load that I ever discovered for my Winchester Coyote (sub 1/2MOA at least to 500 yds). However, the BCs of the 160 Accubonds were so poor compared to the Sciroccos (only an extra 8 inches of drop at 500 yds but an extra 30" @ 800 and an extra 68" @ 1000) that I abandoned them and went back to the Sciroccos (not because of the additional drop I can compensate for that, but because of the decrease in velocity).

My $0.02

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.