Building a 6.5 PRC, annnnndddd there’s no bullets.

If you don't know who to believe, get the opinions of the folks who'll arrest you if you're wrong.

These regulations are all from the Federal DOT and BATFE. I'd suggest you reach out to the shipping companies for written copies of their policies as well. Just because somebody at the local level is ignorant of the regulations doesn't mean you're not going to be held accountable for violating them. If you're manufacturing and shipping ammunition, it's in your best interest to get all the information before you end up with some significant fines and penalties.
thank you I will look that up on the dot and the batfe sites I just want to know for sure about those rules I asked the lady at ups if I could ship primers and they told me it was no problem they send them out like ammo I don't think she would jeopardize her business but I want to look it up to see for myself

No, I don't do this commercially just for friends and family, thanks for your concern though I hear so many stories you don't know who to believe

Where and from whom do these rules come from and how do u get a copy of them? Is it a federal law DOT law where can you access these shipping laws I would like to read them for myself. thanks
It's a Federal Law. In order to make and sell Ammo you need a FFL. To ship primers or powder you need to be certified to ship it. If you call UPS they will explain the process. I can't even go to my local UPS distribution facility and have them ship powder or primers. They will ship ammo but not powder or primers. You have to take a Hazmat certification program with DOT. I went through this last week with UPS. UPS stores are not suppose to ship ammo either only the regional facilities are authorized and you have to pay them a additional $36 fee to ship ORMD. That's what I got directly from the UPS 800 help line. It's a royal PITA but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Op,
If I were you I would take this offer up and buy a box. It should last you some time.
Go to the hodgdon burn rate chart and find a powder within the prc case range that is less popular, they exist and can be found

For example something like norma mrp. There are quite a few.

you need to be flexible on bullets right now, there are plenty of great 6.5mm bullets out there.

for primers, I watch them pretty hard and they do come in stock but go out fast. If I see any in stock I'll try to post them here
Checks already in the mail. Glad to help a brother out!

It's a Federal Law. In order to make and sell Ammo you need a FFL. To ship primers or powder you need to be certified to ship it. If you call UPS they will explain the process. I can't even go to my local UPS distribution facility and have them ship powder or primers. They will ship ammo but not powder or primers. You have to take a Hazmat certification program with DOT. I went through this last week with UPS. UPS stores are not suppose to ship ammo either only the regional facilities are authorized and you have to pay them a additional $36 fee to ship ORMD. That's what I got directly from the UPS 800 help line. It's a royal PITA but it is what it is.

If you have a UPS account you can ship ammo from home (properly labeled) and schedule a pickup right off your front doorstep. Same as you can do with FedEx. They havent ever charged me $36 for picking it up.

If you have a UPS account you can ship ammo from home (properly labeled) and schedule a pickup right off your front doorstep. Same as you can do with FedEx. They havent ever charged me $36 for picking it up.
The $36 then maybe was for shipping primers or powder? I was told my choices were to go the local regional distribution center for shipping ammo. Never was there a mention of an "account". If that's the case then I'm getting an account.

Thanks, man that's what I needed to know, it's good to hear from someone who wants to help instead of just regurgitating the rules as I know how to fix my situation as apposed to just wandering what to do. Thank you it's all bs to me when I order primers form from any retail store midway mid-south fill in the blank they come in the original sleeve from whatever factory they were made in with no stickers of any kind. So I don't get what the deal is if they can ship with no special stickers or packaging if I'm shipping a carton of factory-packed primers to a customer what's the difference. Wait for it I bet there was a fee involved with taking this test and or getting that permit please let me know the answer but I'm pretty sure once the government got involved that's what the difference is we have to pay for the pleasure of doing business , makes sense to me lol

I've shipped over 50000 rounds from my local UPS store with no problems at all, they put a ormd sticker on the ammo, and away it goes. Fed ex sucks I sell on gun broker. com and they have an option to pre-pay for shipping for fed ex shipping labels a total waste of your time I clicked on the shipping ammo option when I got to the FedEx location guess what they won't ship ammo but they will take your money. *** so I told fed ex were to go lol

The $36 then maybe was for shipping primers or powder? I was told my choices were to go the local regional distribution center for shipping ammo. Never was there a mention of an "account". If that's the case then I'm getting an account.

The $36 hazmat fee only applies to things like powder and primers. Loaded ammo is an ORMD, not a hazmat, so it doesn't get charged the $36 fee. Bare primers need full DOT with a diamond label, UN number and paperwork while loaded ammo only needs the ORMD marking.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.