6.5 creedmore

Because in the world of non-reloaders (90+% of all shooters) it's an easy button cartridge with factory ammo and rifles available on the shelf.

Hornady took all the good things the 260 Remington provides and fixed a couple of it's shortcomings. And then marketed the hell out of it.

Custom guns and reloading removes a lot of it's advantages.

Well I generally avoid the Creedmoor discussion altogether but I'll toss in my 2 cents. I had one built early on in the craze and used my old Rem 700 .243 to do it. I had around 2500 rounds fired out of the factory .243 barrel and it was shot out! I hand picked the Brux #5 stainless 1-8 twist barrel, McMillan Gamescout, Schilen trigger and sent all to a well known gunsmith. As a long range hunter I find I shoot more targets that anything else and I wanted this to be a 1000 yard plate pounder. I was also hoping to fire factory ammo to save some time in the reloading room as I load for several calibers. What I got back from the Smith was a thing of beauty, one of the most accurate and consistent rifles I own bar none! It shoots the original Prime 130 OTM match ammo ridiculously accurate. My personal best 3 shot group was a sub 6 inch 3 shot group at 1505 yards! My then 11 year old Son was ringing steel at 1200 yards with that combo with ease. I have had several 2 or 3 inch groups at 1000. It is a legitimate 1/4 Moa rifle. Is it the greatest or the best? I don't think so, but for me it fills a niche in my rifle collection and I am super happy when I take it out and shoot. So I can honestly say that it is no .243, not even close!! cheers, Jason

Because in the world of non-reloaders (90+% of all shooters) it's an easy button cartridge with factory ammo and rifles available on the shelf.

Hornady took all the good things the 260 Remington provides and fixed a couple of it's shortcomings. And then marketed the hell out of it.

Custom guns and reloading removes a lot of it's advantages.
Your correct but don't forget the internet and YouTube were huge in the marketing, a lot of people marketed it for Hornady
Just by showing long distance hunting/shooting .

1644600000082.png

Let the ppl hate and debate. And the end of the day i picked one up after shooting a buddies tikka superlite. It was ridiculously accurate and had no kick. Fast foward 2 years and i have worked up tons of loads and shot the crap out of mine. Very accurate gun fun to shoot targets and animals with. That being said it is a little underwhelming. They call it needmoor for a reason. It has me looking at 6.5prc 6.5-284 6.5ss 6.5-06. For me id like a faster velocity. But at the end of the day 30 cals hold a special place in my heart mainly because all i do is hunt big animals. For targets and burning rounds the 6.5 has become addicting.

It is basically a 250 savage AI with A .007" larger diameter bullet. PO Ackley was really happy with the 250AI. For good reason too. That performance is very useful and very manageable. Cant really blame people for chosing something that works. You can however blame Hornady for the bogus claims and ballistic wizardry when it was coming out.

Bought one last year to play with and put it in a chassis. Got to use those Cabela's points on something. ;-)
Earn a free firearm or ammo every year.
I've got one in the Christensen Arms Mesa, shoots great. The grandkids have taken a bunch of Texas whitetail with it. Flat, accurate and easy recoil. I just don't get the emotion. But I don't care if someone else drives a Ford, Chevy or Dodge, wears Jockey or Fruit of the Loom, or nothing at all (I just don't want to know about it!), or drinks Budweiser or Coors. None of those choices, including the 6.5 CM, affects me a lick.

Last edited:
It's probably the most overhyped round of all time.

It's a moderate 6.5 that shoots well for most people.

The 6.5's popularity in competition started rising fast about 12-15 years ago, Hornady and Ruger partnered up on their own proprietary 6.5 (The Needmore) and engineered probably the most effective marketing and roll out programs in history.

In reality though it's no improvement the Swede that is a hundred years older or the Remington .260 that came along about a decade before the CM.

With the right bullet though it's more than capable of taking all but the largest and most dangerous game at reasonable ranges out to 600yes.

What the .243win was in the last century the 6.5CM will be in this century, probably the most popular "kid's first deer rifle" and the rifle cartridge of choice for women and girls that like to hunt and a great all around caliber for everything from small varmints to deer, even larger game in the right hands with the right bullet.
I pretty much agree, I love the 6.5x55 Swede I have as a do-all 6.5 it's hard to beat, it just doesn't get the love it should. my rifle is an M96 with Swedish Mauser target with diopter sights, it is amazing out to 1k, I also have the micro-target sights on the flip-up military sights for target shooting that are faster like movers, as a game rifle, just for kicks, nothing ever walked away from it. For hunting, mine likes the old Sierra 160gr round nose SP which I don't think they make anymore, but... I was smart enough to buy deep when I picked them up many years ago. Long-range; just grab a high B.C and you're in business, whatever is shooting well in the other 6.5mm's will shoot great in the 6.5x55mm Swede. I also own and shoot the Swede K31 in 7.5x55mm which gives up nothing to .30 calibers in its class. The Swede 55mm case is a fine wildcatting case as well. Just remember everything old is new again and so forth. Just my 0.2 in the conversation of 6.5s Cheers.

M96 target  001.jpg
K31 005.jpg

I pretty much agree, I love the 6.5x55 Swede I have as a do-all 6.5 it's hard to beat, it just doesn't get the love it should. my rifle is an M96 with Swedish Mauser target with diopter sights, it is amazing out to 1k, I also have the micro-target sights on the flip-up military sights for target shooting that are faster like movers, as a game rifle, just for kicks, nothing ever walked away from it. For hunting, mine likes the old Sierra 160gr round nose SP which I don't think they make anymore, but... I was smart enough to buy deep when I picked them up many years ago. Long-range; just grab a high B.C and you're in business, whatever is shooting well in the other 6.5mm's will shoot great in the 6.5x55mm Swede. I also own and shoot the Swede K31 in 7.5x55mm which gives up nothing to .30 calibers in its class. The Swede 55mm case is a fine wildcatting case as well. Just remember everything old is new again and so forth. Just my 0.2 in the conversation of 6.5s Cheers.

View attachment 340248View attachment 340249
I'm not jealous of a lot, but I'm jealous of your rifles. Those are beauties, and the Swedes (my ancestry, just sayin') were really the foremost in metallurgy and your rifles are attestation to that. If I'm not mistaken, the Swedish mauser also had a stock 1-8 twist. Thanks for the pictures.