6.5 creedmore

Ok seriously WTH is the extreme hype over the 6.5creed I understand it was designed as a long range target gun but really guys it's still a 243
It's probably the most overhyped round of all time.

It's a moderate 6.5 that shoots well for most people.

The 6.5's popularity in competition started rising fast about 12-15 years ago, Hornady and Ruger partnered up on their own proprietary 6.5 (The Needmore) and engineered probably the most effective marketing and roll out programs in history.

In reality though it's no improvement the Swede that is a hundred years older or the Remington .260 that came along about a decade before the CM.

With the right bullet though it's more than capable of taking all but the largest and most dangerous game at reasonable ranges out to 600yes.

What the .243win was in the last century the 6.5CM will be in this century, probably the most popular "kid's first deer rifle" and the rifle cartridge of choice for women and girls that like to hunt and a great all around caliber for everything from small varmints to deer, even larger game in the right hands with the right bullet.

ok just really not sure I will ever understand the flood of individuals that think this is the caliber for long range hunting there's way to many other options out there that produce a lot more energy at the same distance

For my part, I was just looking for a short action, mid-bore cartridge with available brass for short range whitetail hunting to replace a 257 Roberts. I've had no trouble finding CM brass. Neither the deer nor I care who else likes or dislikes it. I'm in my 70s and only turn my flip phone on when I want to make a call, but can't figure why some people fight change/new ideas (good or bad). Just make your choice and let the other people make theirs. My priorities are not your priorities.
Yes, it was hard to retire the Roberts.

Last edited:
Ok seriously WTH is the extreme hype over the 6.5creed I understand it was designed as a long range target gun but really guys it's still a 243
LOL, no it's more like a 260 Remington, a 6.5x55, a 6.5x47 Lapua, etc…… it's no where near a 243 but that would be the 6 Creedmoor.

Well, I too am in my 70's, fast approaching my 80's (too fast on some days) and I still shoot my 243 and 257 Roberts and 260, and I haven't had a complaint registered from anything I've shot that I didn't accomplish it with a newer adaptation of an old, stable, effective cartridge. I load for my friends CM's and enjoy seeing the accuracy they achieve with the cartridge and my loads. My point; shoot what you like - thoroughly enjoy it - and support the brother and sister hood of shooters. It's good for the sport.

Welcome, new member.

It has been pointed out already, but it is worth mentioning again that this subject has been beaten to death repeatedly here on this forum. If you'd like to read over the literally thousands of posts about this, I'd hope that you would utilize this very handy search feature on this site.

Otherwise it just looks like you are trying to stir the pot on what is already a very dead horse.

My personal hope is that you would contribute in a positive way here, especially if you are trying to build your post count to participate in the classifieds.

Last edited:
Just a little humor here guys

Attachments

• 51751354_2483500585058336_7523152204157419520_n.png
    51751354_2483500585058336_7523152204157419520_n.png
    76.3 KB · Views: 179
We have been shooting the 6.5-08 since the 90s. Then Remington came out with the .260 Remington in 1997. The biggest fault with marketing the .260 was that Remington was making their barrel twist 1:9 and there was no factory ammo with the exception of 140s and 130s if you could find them. Some of us long range shooters got (had the 6.5-08) the 260 and reloaded with every 6.5 (.264) bullets from 100 gr to 140s. Then we started to make our own rifles with the chamber in .260 and 1:8 barrels with 140 gr bullets. Great sucess with this caliber for hunting and 1k shooting.
Then came Hornady and with their extensive MARKETING Abilities they jumped on the 6.5 cartridge . The .260 Remington and decided that Hornady could introduce a "NEW" Cartridge to take the market over. -WHICH they did very effetely. Made a cartridge like the .260 and chambered rifles in 1:8 twist AND produced factory ammo for the CREED!
Now the beginning of a new story!
The 6.5mm Creedmoor, designated 6.5 Creedmoor by SAAMI, 6.5 Creedmoor by the C.I.P. or 6.5 CM or 6.5 CRDMR for short, is a centerfire rifle cartridge introduced by Hornady in 2007. It was developed by Hornady senior ballistics scientist Dave Emary in partnership with Dennis DeMille, the vice-president of product development at Creedmoor Sports, hence the name. The cartridge is a necked-down modification of the.30 Thompson Center.
Then a beginning of many more stories.
Hornady with their superior Marketing Skills/Abilities started the "CREED EVOLUTION" Now all previous cartridges that were made by Remington or other manufactures would be subjected to a slight change in the cartridge design and then named with a "CREED" sur name.
6.5 Creedmoor (.260 Remington)
6mm Creedmoor -(243 Winchester)
25 Creedmoor
22 Creedmoor
284 Creedmoor
30 Creedmoor
8mm Creedmoor
338 Creedmoor
Any rifle you build in the future should have a caliber with the "Creedmoor" name in it.
It is sure to be a winner, but you do have to have a "ManBun" or a clip on Bun!
If you are a female there is no discrimination. You could just put your hair in a Bun!
Edit: I think now the Man Bun is acceptable, but the Mullet/Manbun is coming into fasion.
Remington sure has a knack for coming up with legit good ideas and then executing and marketing them terribly haha.

So your credibility is at risk. I think you meant .264 which is 6.71 what we call 6.5mm for some reason and a .243 would be a 6mm equivalent cartridge/caliber.

.243 is a good killer shooter as well. The modern version being a 6mm Creedmoor which is a fantastic replacement for the older .243. Again low recoil and shoots heavy for caliber bullets.

Being a "fan-boy" or being a hater of a cartridge is a pointless conversation. If you are either, I question your critical thinking.

Arguing the merits for game or target is however, relevant.

As always, determination of a cartridges value for YOU is based on your intended purpose and goals. Projecting your needs, purposes and goals to someone else doesn't do either one of you any good.

I also value expert opinion based on data.
I have done x and produced y results, and for this purpose the x cartridge is effective or ineffective within the give parameters.

As I watch people and listen to them make purchase decisions because "a guy I know had this bad thing happen, therefore I would never own that rifle, scope, cartridge shows a serious lack of ability to think and research or test. Anecdotal vs empirical data decision making. Which would be smarter and more effective?