280AI or 7mm Remington Mag?

I killed 5 animals in 2018 with 280AI. The number I have killed in previous years with 7mmRM is larger.
The difference to me is 3200 fps vs 3400 fps with 140 gr.

Raffle-7mmMag
Auction-.280AI
This is an auction not a raffle as stated earlier. I would assume the guy/gal that knows anything about rifles and is willing to outbid everyone else, probably has a 7mm and knows what a 280ai is. And they know that the .280 ai is way cooler.
I personally wouldnt bid on a 7mag, but currently looking into building a .280ai.

7RM.
Wait. You really asked two different questions. If you were building a rifle for me, definitely the 280AI. For the "crowd" and the ability to raise more funds, might be the 7RM. But, thinking about it, I probably wouldn't bid on a 7RM.

If only those two options, 7RM. It's a widely known, recognized proven cartridge.
On the other hand if you can do a short action, a lesser recoil rifle with which is more usable by a wide range of shooters, 6.5 Creedmoor.

My last thought when buying a gift you better off thinking of what you would like and go with that. Personally I would rather have it in 280 AI. Just a thought. Which one you you rather have. Maybe bid on it youself it is for the church.

Without knowing your "target audience" and how they will use the rifle, it is really difficult to GUESS which rifle caliber would sell best. Each of us has a preference but, are we going to be part of the auction process and possibly take the rifle home?

I'm assuming the two choices are what they are due to reamer availability and related costs.

For impulse buys, a 'boutique' cartridge of the moment like one of the Noslers would generate some interest and 'buzz' but, how many potential buyers want to add another caliber to their ammo locker? Reloading and on-line ammo purchases are a factor for many as well.

I get this is the LRH forum but, what is long-range to the prospective bidder? Are we talking ~600 yards at Pronghorn or ~150 yards at feral Hogs?

Do you know your audience ???
I would support having it "Made" but not chambered so buyer chooses 7mm. Calibre, and that lets them see what they are bidding on - and lets them be part of the process (even a bit more "Custom" in their purchase!!!
So unless it really needs to be completed B4hand (time between Auction & Hunting season) - then I suggest 7mm Mag.
&
I have two 280AI's that I love

It will be an auction not a raffle. I had not thought about building the rifle after the fundraiser that's a good idea. I figured being able to see and touch the actual rifle would help it sell.
You could set up a display of parts nicely laid out, it's cool to see them in their raw state. Also, why limit it to a Rem Mag or 280 AI, there are lots of 7mm's out there? Why not a 28 Nosler or a .284 Win etc. if you're letting the winner choose. Just saying

You could have another example of your work there and let the auctioneer know the details. The buyer still has to go through bg process before taking possession regardless. Awesome you are doing this!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.