280AI or 7SAUM in Remington LA?

MH WASH

I was all set to build a 7SAUM on my TIkka 300WSM action. In fact I've already bought brass. But since I have a Remington 78 .270 sitting in the safe not getting used so I've decided to build off of it instead. Does it still make sense to go 7SAUM? My intentions are to shoot the heavier bullets, 175 & 180s.

I was all set to build a 7SAUM on my TIkka 300WSM action. In fact I've already bought brass. But since I have a Remington 78 .270 sitting in the safe not getting used so I've decided to build off of it instead. Does it still make sense to go 7SAUM? My intentions are to shoot the heavier bullets, 175 & 180s.
Different bolt face, between the saum and the .270 win. The tikka action is way better than the Remington. You can just get a proof 7saum prefit for your tikka and call it a day.

Magnum Bolt face for the 700, if you go PTG for the bolt, that going set you back $350.00 minimum and some waiting time. I have a 700 in 7SAUM and its as accurate as you hold it.

.280AI vs 7SAUM
Same ballistics, just a different package.
original-13386-1394038115-5.jpg

You may have better luck finding 280AI ammo on store shelve, although both seem to be in short supply. If you hand load, it seems 280AI brass is easier to find, as well as standard large rifle primers. As above, you can fire form from 270Win, in a pinch. Personally, I went with 280AI.

Basically it boils down to which rifle I want to use? I was set on a SAUM for a long while and have about 250 pieces of Norma brass. At the time I thought I was gonna give my youngest son the .270. But now I think I'll buy him something else. Perhaps I'll keep the .270 as is for old times sake.