280AI or 7SAUM

chad

which would you build? 280AI or the 7 SAUM?
Deer and elk hunting.
I want to stay with the .284 caliber bullet.

which would you build? 280AI or the 7 SAUM?
Deer and elk hunting.
I want to stay with the .284 caliber bullet.

I did 280AI but I never looked at the 7SAUM and I also had 284 build on long action.

If I was going to open bolt face long action for a 7 SAUM I may also look at 7mag,7Wby and maybe some other mag case.

If I was going to open bolt face long action for a 7 SAUM I may also look at 7mag,7Wby and maybe some other mag case.

... and 7 WSM.

The 7mm SAUM has suffered a decreased following resulting in fewer manufacturers chambering rifles in this caliber. With a low demand, supply has also been reduced resulting in a sharp increase in the cost of 7mm SAUM as of mid 2014.

I just sold my shilen 280AI barrel. I couldn't get it to do anything I wanted it to do. Gonna try a 26" barrel this go around.

I hate to give up on the Ackley. I think ill give it another whirl. Gonna order the brux barrel from here with the 10% off . Its an 8.5 twist, Will that be ok for the 140 to 168 grain bullets?

I had a 280AI built with a Benchmark #6 barrel with 1:8.5 twist. It stabilizes 180gr hybrids just fine. So far it's a 1/2 to 3/4 MOA gun with my hand loads but I know it'll do better. I still have some tweaking to do.
Someone quoted "no brass to fireform" but one can order Nosler 280AI brass strIght from the factory. AND it's cheaper and seems easier to find than SAUM brass anyways.

Last point, and the reason I went 280ai is that one can load 4-5 rounds of 280ai in most actions where as saum usually only allows 3. I've personally never seen an elk go down with less than 2 shots so I wanted that extra capacity in my elk gun.

Well before I went Ackley and had just the 280 I shot 2 bulls and they were down with one shot using the 140 gr accbnd. Im not concerned with how many rounds I have in my gun.

I like the idea of the 7 saum. Basically a 280AI in a short case.

I had a 280AI built with a 28" Hart #4 contour with a 1:9 twist and chambered for the 160 accubonds. I had my smith chamber it to 3.5" oal and touching the rifling. I got outstanding results and have a 5 shot group that you could cover with a dime.... it's running about 3150 fps through the cronograph. I also want to build a 7WSM which would make a dandy 1000 yard deer rifle as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts