6.5x284 or 280AI

?

For your stated goals, I think the question comes down to:
1) 6.5x284 - common components
2) 280AI - more punch for hunting

The x284 isn't that different from your x47 Lapuas. So do you prefer to "keep it in the family" as it were or give yourself more breadth/scope with a different caliber?[/QUOTE
To me, it doesn't matter I just want the better all around cartridge for long range shooting/hunting. Is the additional recoil justified in the 280? Is the x284s barrel life justified?If one has clear justification over the other that's what I'm going for

Ultimately, only you can answer that.

Personally, I'd want to diversify and we're I you, I'd pick the 280 because it really is a significant delta from the 6.5x47L.

I don't think I can go wrong either way, but I think I'm gonna go 280AI for the additional BC. I'll post as soon as I get home from my deployment and get it installed. Thanks to everyone who commented and if you have any further data on the Ackley it would be appreciated

Hooyah, brother. I'm downrange too... It'll be nice to be home in time for hunting season... E-scouting will have to do. Be safe!

280AI. Nothing against the 6.5284...I d guess the Ackley would feed better, maybe not. Mine feed fine...280AI has been one of the most accurate calibers I've ever chambered...for sure THE most accurate in a long action. Sub 1/4 MOA when it was fresh. .8-.9s @500. I get better velocity than I probably should, I guess I've had spectacular barrels. I do have 27". I'm using Krieger now but its got many rounds on it and groups are starting to open up...I'll go with HHC next. I've shot a few deer with it, and won competitions with it. I've shot it out to about 1300 often and to a mile a few times. Ackley cases obviously, being straight walled, last forever. I'm just using Remington brass fire formed. It shoots so good I've never tried anything else in it. I only shoot 168-180s and it does very well. You cant go wrong!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts