6.5X284 or 280AI

freebird63

I already own a nice semi custom 280AI, but have been looking at the differences. Having never hunted with either, I generally only hunt mule deer and maybe some day will draw an antelope tag. I have seen what the best of the west boys have done with the 6.5X284.
I really like that savage SS long range hunter in the 6.5X284. Its crazy that a 100 rounds of laupa 6.5X284 brass is cheaper then a 100 rounds of nosler 280AI brass.
Now if I had won the mega million I would just buy 10 of each caliber I like.
So what are the pro's and con's to each????

6.5x284 benefits:

Low recoil, high sectional density for deep penatration, low wind drift values. Despite what many think, this caliber can be used in a short action very well with an extended box. VERY accurate.

6.5x284 cons:

Relatively short bbl life. IMHO this can be overcome by NOT shooting matches and letting 1-2 minutes pass before another shot is taken for up to 3 shots in a string.

280 or 280 AI benefits:

More retained energy and even less windage then the 6.5x284. Better bbl life. Also very accurate.

208 cons:

more recoil. Must be used on a long action.

Pick your poison. For deer and antelope, the 6.5x284 gets my vote. For VERY large mature mulies and elk, the 280 gets my vote.

Michael pretty much summed it up.

I'm a 6.5x284 fan. But, I have to believe BOTW could've aired just as many shows with equal hype using 280AI.

If you already have the 280AI, I'd go with the 6.5x284. Still others will use that same argument to recommend a second 280AI.

Seems like a coin toss unless you have specific objectives.

-- richard

I have a 6.5x284 and have been looking at having a 280 Ai built also. Not to hijack the thread but what about the 284 win? Is it close to the 280?

Ya I reload, not much on the fire forming of brass. I guess if I wanted real simple I would just go with a 7MM, but with the way gas prices are probably won't be doing a whole lot of target shooting or hunting this year.

I did the 6.5x284 first was suppose to be my antelope LR varmint rifle. I shot it more off the bench than what I wanted it for so that went. Next was the 280AI and 284 as my deer/elk and antelope rifles.

I think I should of build the 6.5x284 as I did the 280AI instead of like I did wanting to use it also as a varmint rifle I used heavier carrel contour and that was my fault. The 6.5x284 is a good case and I build one again. Well good luck

6.5x284 gets my vote. Less recoil and retained energy will be very close to 280ai. Better brass, unless you neck down 30-06 lapua.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.