6.5x284 & 280ai comparison

GetReel

I thought I was dead set on having a new 6.5x284 built to shoot the 156 EOL's. But now that I've sold the rifle I needed to to start the custom build, I'm contemplating something different.
I was set on the 6.5x284 because I have everything I need for reloading.
If I take that reasoning out of the equation, I start thinking of the 280ai. I know I don't want a magnum cartridge.

The goal of this rifle to me is to have a rifle I don't hesitate to grab for just about any scenario. My new "Go-To" White tail, antelope, mule deer and maybe elk (planning an elk/mule deer trip in 2023).

Something in a semi-light configuration with a ~24" carbon barrel (might shoot suppressed or with a break depending on the hunt)

I want to know what information you look at to make your decisions like this? Is there a good way to to compile velocity/energy info?

Much as I wanted a 6.5/284 custom, I went 280 AI. Bought a new Winchester 70 EW, pulled the barrel. Bartlien 5R stainless 8.5 twist, 24". Action trued, re-bedded, new trigger, muzzle brake. Tungsten Cerakote, Nightforce ATACR 4-16X50. Rifle weighs in at 10lbs 3 oz with ammo. Shoots like a dream, low recoil. A bit more velocity than the 6.5/284. It's my go to, do all. Dialing in a load with 143 Hammers now, but it shot factory 140 gr Nosler E-Tips and Ballistic tips .5 at 100. Love this rifle!

Just nice having more bullets and versatility on large game animals like elk with the 7mm. I'm shooting 175 grain Berger Classic hunters out of mine at 2935 fps while my wife is shooting California compliant 140 Absolute Hammers at 3268 fps. The 280 AI is filthy good.

My wife bought me a Jarrett 280AI for Christmas. I am absolutely sold on this caliber. Shot a deer yesterday with it using the 130 Absolute Hammer and it performed perfectly. Recoil is no issue, accuracy is solid, and I would feel comfortable hunting just about anything in North America with it.

I was in the same boat recently. I wanted a 6.5-280 Ackley with a 26" carbon barrel. I had to order the barrel and it was going to take 12 - 14 months for the builder to receive it. I went ahead and ordered the barrel, reamer and started piling up components. Then one day the builder calls and says we have a 7mm carbon that will finish at 26" that the original customer backed out on, and if I still wanted a 7mm-08 carbon they would make me a deal. I had already ordered and paid for a 24" heavy contour 7mm-08 rifle that was going to be done in a week or two, so I decided a 280 Ackley was the logical step since I had brass, primers and Whidden bushing dies for the 6.5-280 that could easily be used for the straight 280, the rest was history. They chambered the barrel and spun everything together and about 2 weeks after I picked up the 7mm-08 I picked up the 280 Ackley. It quickly became my go to, accurate and easy on the shoulder, easy to carry at 8 3/4lbs dressed out and with ammo. There is also the benefit of not having to resize brass or fight for bullets with the 6.5mm manbun crowd.

I vote 280 Ackley for now, but keep the components build the 6.5-284 down the road to use for whatever you deem necessary. This is exactly what I am doing with the 6.5-280 Ackley, except that I am trying to get it as light as possible.

I thought I was dead set on having a new 6.5x284 built to shoot the 156 EOL's. But now that I've sold the rifle I needed to to start the custom build, I'm contemplating something different.
I was set on the 6.5x284 because I have everything I need for reloading.
If I take that reasoning out of the equation, I start thinking of the 280ai. I know I don't want a magnum cartridge.

The goal of this rifle to me is to have a rifle I don't hesitate to grab for just about any scenario. My new "Go-To" White tail, antelope, mule deer and maybe elk (planning an elk/mule deer trip in 2023).

Something in a semi-light configuration with a ~24" carbon barrel (might shoot suppressed or with a break depending on the hunt)

I want to know what information you look at to make your decisions like this? Is there a good way to to compile velocity/energy info?
Why compare two different caliber/chambering? The .280 AI will give you more energy downrange, esp. with the right bullet. However, the156 EOL when propelled accordingly is no slouch. What is your max range? Yes, you can calculate and compare KEs between the two.

Why compare two different caliber/chambering? The .280 AI will give you more energy downrange, esp. with the right bullet. However, the156 EOL when propelled accordingly is no slouch. What is your max range? Yes, you can calculate and compare KEs between the two.
Max range is accordingly at this point. I would love to be able to have a rifle capable out to the ~1000yrds with proper energy/velocity to expand the bullet and I always had in my head I need 1000 ft/lbs of energy but idk about that.

So that's why I'm trying to compile data and compare the 156gr out of the 6.5x284 vs the 280ai with "xx" bullet. Which cartridge will have better velocity and more energy downrange.

It's just slow and time consuming to research the energy/velocity data I'm looking for. So I didn't know if there was something to make that process easier.

Max range is accordingly at this point. I would love to be able to have a rifle capable out to the ~1000yrds with proper energy/velocity to expand the bullet and I always had in my head I need 1000 ft/lbs of energy but idk about that.

So that's why I'm trying to compile data and compare the 156gr out of the 6.5x284 vs the 280ai with "xx" bullet. Which cartridge will have better velocity and more energy downrange.

It's just slow and time consuming to research the energy/velocity data I'm looking for. So I didn't know if there was something to make that process easier.
Sorry, there is no easy button, you will have run the numbers yourself with the bullet you are going to use, and the velocity at POI(1000Y) to determine the energy and minimum velocity (I.e., >1800 FPS) of the bullet to expand effectively.

You can find a ballistics calculator online or do something like Shooter app for $10 and keep the data on your phone. Enter the velocity, bullet BC, twist rate - essentially the bullet and rifle data, and it will give you the energy, velocity, and drops.
He can also use Berger's ballistic calculator.

Sorry, there is no easy button, you will have run the numbers yourself with the bullet you are going to use, and the velocity at POI(1000Y) to determine the energy and minimum velocity (I.e., >1800 FPS) of the bullet to expand effectively.
I would agree and add that there is no easy button for shooting 1000 yds either. Having a rifle capable of that is a requirement but that alone is not sufficient. To give you an idea, I have rifles that will shoot that far with the right energy but my skills are not such that I would think about shooting game at 1000 yds....

So far everything I've looked at puts the 6.5x284 with the 156gr EOL vs the 280ai with the 180 HT at almost a dead even match.
(That is guessing at velocities and inputting about 2900fps on the 156 and 2750 on the 180)