6.5X284 or 280AI

freebird63

So I am considering a new gun. I have always wanted a 6.5X284, I had a 280Ai. When you compare the 2, is one better then the other and why. I will be reloading soon.
I currently own a 300RUM
Thanks for any and all advice.

I'd probably go with the 6.5x284 (which I don't have one). I do have a 280ai.

I think the only thing you'd gain with the 280ai is hunting heavier game, but your 300 RUM will have that all covered.

Plus… it sounds like the 6.5 is what floats your boat right now… :cool:

6.5x284 for sure. The 6.5 mm bullets produce amazing ballistics, little recoil, and do a nice job on game. I've personally never understood the Ackley Improved thing. I guess it's one thing if you're wanting to improve the ballistics of a rifle you already own. But I couldn't justify buying a new one. It just makes for more work. The limited amount of velocity it gives, just isn't worth it to me. Personally, if I wanted to push a 7mm bullet faster than a 280, I'd just look at a 7mm rem mag. But that's just my opinion.

6.5x284 for sure. The 6.5 mm bullets produce amazing ballistics, little recoil, and do a nice job on game. I've personally never understood the Ackley Improved thing. I guess it's one thing if you're wanting to improve the ballistics of a rifle you already own. But I couldn't justify buying a new one. It just makes for more work. The limited amount of velocity it gives, just isn't worth it to me. Personally, if I wanted to push a 7mm bullet faster than a 280, I'd just look at a 7mm rem mag. But that's just my opinion.

If you don't mind me asking how much personal experience do you have with Ackley Improved cartridges with modern powder and bullets? Because my personal experiences with owning 3 Ackleys have been nothing short of significant improvements over the standard SAAMI parent cartridge.

Freebird63, my opinion... .280 AI is hard to beat with Berger 168 VLD's and a powder like 7828 SSC or 7977.

The 280AI I owned was very accurate, the only reason I got rid of it was to pay off bills. I fell in love with the 6.5X284 after watching some best of the west programs.
It was dead on accurate with 168gr nosler long range accubonds and retumbo powder.
My 300RUM is having a muzzle brake put on right now, I think I will talk to the smith doing it and see how much he will charge to build a gun for me

I have had both , and I love the 6.5 284 but wanted more jam with bigger bullets so I am doing up a 6.5 Sherman looks like a 280AI cartridge in a 6.5 cal will launch 160 Matrix at 3K so its some bad LR news for the bigger game, and I cannot wait till its done that being said if i were to pick between the 2 again I would hands down do the 6.5 284 mild recoil great for LR work I really enjoyed it over the 280AI just personal preference though.

The 280AI I owned was very accurate, the only reason I got rid of it was to pay off bills. I fell in love with the 6.5X284 after watching some best of the west programs.
It was dead on accurate with 168gr nosler long range accubonds and retumbo powder.
My 300RUM is having a muzzle brake put on right now, I think I will talk to the smith doing it and see how much he will charge to build a gun for me

I think Savage probably offers the most options in 6.5-284. They have both lightweight hunting rifles and heavier target rifles in that chambering.

I do have a 6.5-284 Norma and I do love it. (It is not one of the factory Savages though).

So far the only downside I've found with the 6.5-284 cartridge is the time it takes explaining to everyone what it is. It's really unknown outside of the long range shooting community.

Depends on what you want the bullet to do. 140 in 6.5 will out perform a 140 7mm in wind and bc. If I were prone to buying a 7 I would get a 7mm RM or 28 nosler. What about a 6.5 Saum? I got two and love them.

I have never been a fan of savage rifles. Those 6.5 saum look to have nice ballistics.
What brass does a person use for the 6.5 saum??

I have never been a fan of savage rifles. Those 6.5 saum look to have nice ballistics.
What brass does a person use for the 6.5 saum??

Build a 6.5 SS... It's a better-designed cartridge than the SAUM.

For brass, dies, and a reamer rental, contact Rich Sherman (elkaholic) here on the forum.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.