6.5x284 & 280ai comparison

I'm just guessing at these velocities. I'll be getting a 24" barrel in either choice.
I've got VV N560, VV N565 I'd like to use.
3D325B0E-1795-4830-A319-31BB5AB3D5ED.jpeg
F3C36A5A-9980-4A98-88E2-A15F68B6335D.jpeg

I plan on running with either a side port muzzle break or a suppressor.
With the added bearing surface of the 7mm bullet, would there be much of a difference in recoil? Not that that's a deal breaker, just curious.

I think I'm leaning 6.5x284 simply because I already have components for reloading. If I go the 280 route, I'll need brass and dies. But should I let that be a deciding factor cause I'd have time to accumulate those while rifle is being built.

Last edited:
A 280AI shooting a 160gr bullet will be dang near the same recoil as 6.5-284 with a 156. Move the 280AI up to 175-180 and it will recoil more not a bunch or enough to worry about but you can tell the difference. Cant go wrong with either.

IMO 280AI check these boxes a little better. barrel life, larger bullet selection, lots of brass companies making brass, very main stream now.

I debated similar with a PRC and chose 280AI, it's been the perfect light weight all around hunting gun for me. Killed several elk, deer, sheep, oryx with it so far

Hunting and shooting with my 6.5x284 along side a few buddies with the 280AI, the differences are difficult to discern. My 6.5x284 at 2975-3000FPS with the 156 EOL's IMO, more then evens up the ballistic comparison delivering 1000FPE to 1100-1200 yards at +1700FPS (4500fr elevation).

It comes down to what are you trying to do? I normally build rifles around a bullet weight I want to shoot in a velocity range I'm trying to accomplish. Sometimes it works out and other times it doesn't ;)

You'll have a lot more flexibility with the 280ai. Shoot a 140/150 bullet for deer and shoot a 180 for bigger game. Then you aren't handcuffing yourself to the bigger bullet and recoil that comes with it.

For a long action build, pretty tough to beat the 280ai and in my opinion the options it gives you.

Splitting hairs….. 7 will offer a little more bullet frontal area and weight.

If it was me I d base it on what components I might already have if any for the 2 calibers, estimated cost to shoot each ( very similar is my guess), component availability and lastly ( most important) which one you want!!

It comes down to what are you trying to do? I normally build rifles around a bullet weight I want to shoot in a velocity range I'm trying to accomplish. Sometimes it works out and other times it doesn't ;)

You'll have a lot more flexibility with the 280ai. Shoot a 140/150 bullet for deer and shoot a 180 for bigger game. Then you aren't handcuffing yourself to the bigger bullet and recoil that comes with it.

For a long action build, pretty tough to beat the 280ai and in my opinion the options it gives you.
I'm a one bullet kind of guy, I hate using this one for this, that one for that… re-zeroing the scope and such. If I was going to shoot 140gr bullets, I'd absolutely pick the 6.5x284.

Splitting hairs….. 7 will offer a little more bullet frontal area and weight.

If it was me I d base it on what components I might already have if any for the 2 calibers, estimated cost to shoot each ( very similar is my guess), component availability and lastly ( most important) which one you want!!
If choose based on components, the choice is clear. I already have everything I need for the 6.5x284, that includes 300ct of the 156's.

I have a 6.5x284 and shooting the 156's this set up has put down 8 sheep in the last 2 years
I developed a load with 140 gr a frames that have the same point of impact at 100 yards as the 156's. Took a grizzly with this set up this fall as well
Its a great caliber

Nothing wrong with a 6.5/284, but your comparing apples to oranges.
If you are jumping to 7mm why not just go 284?
Your 6.5/284 compares much more closely to 6.5/06 AI.
As I am typing this, I realize I have had owned 6/284 and 6.5/284 but never a 284, I may have to remedy that.
None of this helps you with your barrel wait time.

280AI has better barrel life. That's my vote. Not to mention 7mm bullets IMO are better in the wind than 6.5. (I have a 280)

I was in the same boat recently. I wanted a 6.5-280 Ackley with a 26" carbon barrel. I had to order the barrel and it was going to take 12 - 14 months for the builder to receive it. I went ahead and ordered the barrel, reamer and started piling up components. Then one day the builder calls and says we have a 7mm carbon that will finish at 26" that the original customer backed out on, and if I still wanted a 7mm-08 carbon they would make me a deal. I had already ordered and paid for a 24" heavy contour 7mm-08 rifle that was going to be done in a week or two, so I decided a 280 Ackley was the logical step since I had brass, primers and Whidden bushing dies for the 6.5-280 that could easily be used for the straight 280, the rest was history. They chambered the barrel and spun everything together and about 2 weeks after I picked up the 7mm-08 I picked up the 280 Ackley. It quickly became my go to, accurate and easy on the shoulder, easy to carry at 8 3/4lbs dressed out and with ammo. There is also the benefit of not having to resize brass or fight for bullets with the 6.5mm manbun crowd.

I vote 280 Ackley for now, but keep the components build the 6.5-284 down the road to use for whatever you deem necessary. This is exactly what I am doing with the 6.5-280 Ackley, except that I am trying to get it as light as possible.

"…6.5mm manbun crowd…" 😂😂😂